Amsoil SSO vs European car formula

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if there would be any advantage running the European formula vs the SSO in a Volvo 2.5L Turbo, as I am currently using the SSO in the C30. Also considering the new reformulated G-OIL for my next OCI. I plan on running for it for 7500 mi. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Does your Volvo call for ACEA A3 (HT/HS of at least 3.5 cP) rated oil? If not, I'd probably just stick with SSO.
Specification GF-4, API SL, or ACEA A1/B1 Per OM. Thanks Pete

I liked the SSO 0W-30; a great shear stable PAO based oil.
Anyway the much heavier AEL 5W-30 European formula (HTHSV 3.7cP, 159 VI) is really a light 40wt oil, heavier than PU 5W-40 for example. So I would not recommend it for your Volvo.
If you were going to stay with Amsoil their current replacement to SSO; namely, AZO 0W-30 is what I'd recommend.

Your plan to try the G-Oil 5W-30 should work well.

Originally Posted By: S_Walmer
I was wondering if there would be any advantage running the European formula vs the SSO in a Volvo 2.5L Turbo, as I am currently using the SSO in the C30. Also considering the new reformulated G-OIL for my next OCI. I plan on running for it for 7500 mi. Thanks.

What year and version engine is this going in?

C30 has only been out for a short while. 5 yrs sounds about right but may be wrong. Time flies when you get older lol.

As far as I am aware all Volvos have run same specs as Ford for at least the last 6/7 yrs due to platform sharing.

I would use a good quality A5/B5 Full Synth.
A1/B1 is the minimum spec for this car. But even Castrol Magnatec 5w30 meets A5/B5.

I think Amsoil (ASL) is A5/B5 but I don't have the specs to.hand

Just checked ASL is the right one. Api SN and Dexos 1 aswell.

On my list of oils to.try if I can get them.for a sensible price. Opieoils in UK wants nearly £70 for 5 quarts!

Originally Posted By: Volvohead

What year and version engine is this going in?
2009 VOLVO C30 TURBO B5254T7 6-speed M66 with Autotech tune.

A TUNED T7 model? Throw the OM out the window. The Elevate remapping takes it about 40hp & 40 ft/lbs over design. You're probably north of 260hp on it at full boost. Are you tracking this? Are there any other mods going? Have you re-indexed the octane setting?

I'm pretty sure the T7 has the Borg-Warner K04 blower on it.

No way you run an A5/B5 baby oil in that. You really should be using an A3 in it. If you can find one in a 30 range you like, great. Other than RL, I'd lean to a heavy 30, because your rod loads are significantly over nominal. But between the two Amsoils you are contemplating, that would be the Euro formula, not the SSO, which is NOT A3 and is an extended drain formula. You need above-normal protection.

Have you considered Redline? I know Dave looked into this for me a few years back for our R and zeroed in on their 10w-30 (and NOT their 5w-30) for these when tuned. But you can't do a lot of short-tripping on it and expect long OCIs. Otherwise, GC or M1 0w-40. The new M1 has apparently fixed the shear down it used to exhibit in T5s and Rs.

But I'm sure someone who never bothered to ask these questions, and knows next to NOTHING about your engine (or what this aftermarket ECU tune on it does) will still tell you to run some low viscosity juice in it for the sake of lower viscosity, because someone they met at a track did it with a completely different engine, and "thin is in". Such BAD advice, especially on something like this one. They're fixated on just HTHS, when you have higher than normal bearing loads to deal with.

Double-check at Swedespeed, but you'll find most of the tuners are running a heavier 30 in an A3 spec on your engine with that kind of mod package.

Whichever oil you pick, on a modded/tuned white block, I would absolutely get a confirming UOA before running it out to 7,500.

BTW, Nice Ride!

Neither. Amsoil HDD 5W-30.

Amsoil HDD 5W-30

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Amsoil HDD 5W-30

Pablo,

That's a lot closer to what I was thinking.
He's running a fairly aggressive tune on it.

Does that HDD 5w-30 have VW 507 on it? Looks like close to a universal oil otherwise. Mmmm . . . .

How have you otherwise been?

That's too bad.

We're trying to reduce our lube stocking to just one or two types, but that 507 compliance seems to be a constant obstacle.

Find me an A3, VW 507.00 approved, MB 229.3 compliant oil in a mid to heavier 30 and we could get there.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead

A TUNED T7 model? Throw the OM out the window. The Elevate remapping takes it about 40hp & 40 ft/lbs over design. You're probably north of 260hp on it at full boost. Are you tracking this? Are there any other mods going? Have you re-indexed the octane setting?

I'm pretty sure the T7 has the Borg-Warner K04 blower on it.

No way you run an A5/B5 baby oil in that. You really should be using an A3 in it. If you can find one in a 30 range you like, great. Other than RL, I'd lean to a heavy 30, because your rod loads are significantly over nominal. But between the two Amsoils you are contemplating, that would be the Euro formula, not the SSO, which is NOT A3 and is an extended drain formula. You need above-normal protection.

Have you considered Redline? I know Dave looked into this for me a few years back for our R and zeroed in on their 10w-30 (and NOT their 5w-30) for these when tuned. But you can't do a lot of short-tripping on it and expect long OCIs. Otherwise, GC or M1 0w-40. The new M1 has apparently fixed the shear down it used to exhibit in T5s and Rs.

But I'm sure someone who never bothered to ask these questions, and knows next to NOTHING about your engine (or what this aftermarket ECU tune on it does) will still tell you to run some low viscosity juice in it for the sake of lower viscosity, because someone they met at a track did it with a completely different engine, and "thin is in". Such BAD advice, especially on something like this one. They're fixated on just HTHS, when you have higher than normal bearing loads to deal with.

Double-check at Swedespeed, but you'll find most of the tuners are running a heavier 30 in an A3 spec on your engine with that kind of mod package.

Whichever oil you pick, on a modded/tuned white block, I would absolutely get a confirming UOA before running it out to 7,500.

BTW, Nice Ride!
Thanks volvohead! I only have one other mod a Simons Avgassystem catback I don't plan on doing any more performance mods. Approx 280 hp in current configuration. I will upgrade to EBC brakes when the time comes. My driving style is usually conservative with an occasional "drive it like you stole it moment"
19.gif
. I have the autotech tune calibrated to 91 octane and Top Speed Limiter removed option it's also optimized for my catback. It's nice to know the tune is there when/if you need it. I have also considered redline I know it's popular with volvo tuners and if I read correctly G-OIL 5w-30 is thick almost a 40wt. I will send this oil sample to Blackstone. Your response is most appreciated.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Amsoil HDD 5W-30
Thanks, the specs look good, I will definitely keep this oil in mind .
smile.gif

Thanks volvohead! I only have one other mod a Simons Avgassystem catback I don't plan on doing any more performance mods. Approx 280 hp in current configuration.

Yes, you can really improve the breathing on some of these, which holds them back even with remapping. The boys over at SS can always help you best. Hunt down Jim Lill, who is a great resource.

Besides the down pipe, take a close look at your IC. Volvo just squeezes them in suboptimally, and they really heat soak in the warmer weather. A 20hp drop off above 75F. Bell has a really nice one for our present R that makes a huge difference, but I'm not yet ready to make the required "cuts" to fit it.

Amsoil, RL, GC and M1 0w-40 are all good choices for engines like yours that will let you enjoy long full boost runs with total confidence.

Have fun.

Thanks again, I'm SilverVolvo on SS and c30world as well as c30ballers. I like SS the best. I considered a downpipe but I won't buy one because it won't work well with the stock tune (Even Polestar) if for some reason I need flash it back to stock the DP throws a CEL sometimes even with a O2 Spacer,I'm picky about stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back