Can you make a heater blow hotter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was 48 degrees last night and I used the heater in my new 2012 Honda Accord V6 for the 1st time. I was really dissapointed in the amount of heat it put off. It felt just a bit warmer then "lukewarm". My GMC Sierra, Honda CRV, and Volvo XC70 all get far hotter and can make you sweat in the cab. Any ideas on why the Accord is not as hot as the others cars I own? I'll call the dealer soon but I just wanted to do a little research 1st. Thanks!

Most likely the heater core is the issue. Very rarely do I see a thermostat go on any vehicle under 160,000km these days.

Heater cores tend to be the issue with the 2007-2011 Honda's (even though yours is a 2012 - it depends on when it was built) especially since Honda has been outsourcing some of their non-engine parts to Taiwan in recent years because of Taiwan's stance against China (it's "mother" country) and the relations between China and Japan.

Sounds like more cost cutting.The heater core probably is tiny with very little surface area.

Could be a few things

Not up to temp all the way
Low on coolant
Blend door problem
Thermostat problem
Blockage at heater core

I don't think it could be anything else.

Chris,

What temperature did you set the climate control to?

Are you feeling for air from the top vents? In AUTO mode, when heat is required, the climate control unit actually directs most of the air towards the foot well, and a small percentage to the windscreen vents.

Depending on the temperature set, the climate control will adjust the required heat by trimming the amount of coolant flow through the core. I guess the aim is to warm the cabin up quickly but not cook the occupants with very hot air.

I set it to "Hi" which is like 89 or 90 degrees. I also had it set so that full air was blowing at the driver and the blower on hi.
I drove about 20 miles at 75mph and it was hot enough by the time I got home but still not as hot as my other cars get.

Parts can and do fail right out of the box, and it matters not whether the part was made in Indiana, Ohio, Taiwan or Outer Mongolia.
Every Honda we've ever owned produced abundant heat within a couple of miles on mornings a lot colder than 48F.
There is something wrong with the heater in your car.
Could be as simple as the thermostat.
Take it back to the dealer and let them figure it out.
If they tell you there's nothing wrong, contact American Honda.
If the car can't produce adequate heat at a mild temperature, what will it be like in February?

Ive cursed my AC a number of times.
The real problem was that that the night before, I had the temp dial turned to heat!

SLC Craig listed good advice.
You should note if there was a change in behaviour, not just that the heat is no good.

You should start getting heat within couple of miles if the outside temperature is 48F. If you leave the climate control in auto 77 if you do feel the warm air in that time frame, something is not right with the system.

If you are willing to open the hood (don't laugh, I don't want to open the hood on my 2012 car either!) you can feel the upper and radiator hoses and start doing the proper diagnosis. But you bought a brand new car so that you won't have to do that stuff!!

I bet the system has bunch of test modes which will do the self-test to figure out if it is working correctly or not once dealer hooks up factory scanner. If they tell you no problem found, insist on obtaining the vent temperature readings using a thermometer.

- Vikas

That outlet temp will vary greatly, according to ambient temps, how fast the car is traveling, rain, day or night, how long the car has been running, and blower motor speed.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Any idea on the temp readings should be coming out of the vents?

Honda does not supply this information for the heater. They do for the A/C, but not the heater.

Considering that the coolant will be at about 180F when up to full-operating temperature, I would expect an infrared thermometer to show something close to 90 right at the floor vents.

This is something I never thought of before, probably because my heater provides adequate heat even at -20F (eventually, at that temperature). Tomorrow I'll take my IF thermometer with me, and measure what the vents throw out. It's supposed to be around 50 ambient, tomorrow. Stay tuned...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back