Quaker State 75w140 synthetic. Opinions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to use Mobil 1 75w140 in the rear diff of my '09 Ram but can't find it anywhere locally. Quaker State 75w140 synthetic is readily available and the specs look similar to Mobil 1. Anybody have any experience with the QS product, and if so did you use and additive with a limited slip diff or as is? Appreciate any opinions on this product.

Yes you have to use slip additive with the QS. The only brand that includes additive is RP I believe. Personally I wouldn't use QS brand in any of my vehicles. Seen to many gunky, plugged up engines with there oils. Just my 2 cents.

Put down the Crown Royal when you're examining engines.
wink.gif

I don't agree with you on any plugged engines with QS, and have seen the opposite in fleet usage. Aside from that, I do agree about the differential fluid. RP is the only one that comes to mind, readily available and at a good price, that states it's okay for a limited slip differential. I believe M1 gear oil does, too, but I don't know if it comes in a 75w-140, and I haven't seen any M1 gear oils on the shelf here in recent memory.

AAM is the manufacturer of the axles in our Dodge's. Right from the horse's mouth AAM... nothing more than 75w-90 would ever be needed unless you are towing max weight in Death Valley temps all the time. My last diff fluid change had 100,000 miles on the diff fluid. I used Amsoil Long Life 75w-90 and the same went back in. I currently have 189,000 miles on my truck. Here are some visuals for ya with 100,000 miles on the fluid.

100K1.jpg

100K2.jpg

100K3.jpg

100K4.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Crownedroyal
Yes you have to use slip additive with the QS. The only brand that includes additive is RP I believe. Personally I wouldn't use QS brand in any of my vehicles. Seen to many gunky, plugged up engines with there oils. Just my 2 cents.

Valvoline, Amsoil, and certain kinds of Redline oil have the additive already blended in.

Anyway, I see nothing wrong with using QS 75w140, as long as your car calls for GL-5 75w140.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back