2001 Jeep Cherokee Defy or Maxlife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need help choosing a High Mileage oil for parents 2001 Jeep Cherokees 121,000 mile 4.0, QuakerState Defy 10w-30 or Valvoline Maxlife 10w-30. Future driving habits will be lots of short trips around town with occasional, Highway driving, from now until springtime next year. 4.0 dosent burn any oil, but does have a drip from rear main which is the reason Im not using any German Castrol from my stash. Thanks for the replies.

I am using Defy right now and it seems to be nicer on my old school 3.4. No consumption and it quiets my engine better then maxlife did. Would you consider using Shell T6? Lots of people have great results using that in their 4.0s

I recommend the Defy 10w30 or even PYB. I've had great results with both in my 4.0L. Since they take short trips I'd also use a 5w30, since the oil will barely reach operating temp.

i have a 99 4.0L and have been using maxlife in it now for 5 years. it stopped a rear main seal seep in it after the second oci. mike

I've heard mighty good things about Defy but haven't tried it yet. On paper it looks like a great match for the 4.0 although I've only seen one 4.0 UOA for it (which looked good).

Maxlife has turned in a bunch of good UOA's in that engine, as mentioned above mine was loud on it but I'll try it again for sure.

Two oils I've tried with surprising results in the 4.0, Pennzoil YB and Castrol High mileage both scary quiet and smooth.

Since your looking mostly at HM oils for that short tripper I'd also suggest a 5w30, better VI than 10w30's and HM oils are on the thick side anyway.

I have a 2000 JGC with the 4.0 and used MaxLife 10W30 Last year. This year I just started using Defy 5W30 about 3 weeks ago. So far the Jeep loves it. It stopped the start up rattle it had for a minute or 2. I am getting the same mileage as with the MaxLife, about 22 mpg on Hwy at 70mph.

The one difference I noted is that MaxLife had a "Smooth" quality that doesn't seem to be there with Defy, but it saved a few bucks, and definitely works very good in this engine.

VW

I use a HDEO 15w40 in my brothers Cherokee and it seems to love it...in the winter I think it out a bit but still use HDEO for it usually Rotella or Farm and Fleet blend

i've used both....maxlife and defy in 2 separate vehicles, neither one burns or drips oil, but both are older engines.

I prefer and like the Defy a lot better; both engines are quieter and start up faster.

I use 5w-30, even in 100+ degree temps with a lot of heavy driving; no need for a 10w-30

I haven't tried my Defy yet, but I have had good experiences with MaxLife in slowing leaks. The leak is now gone, the old fashioned way, so I won't really be able to compare both oils' abilities in that regard, unfortunately.

Originally Posted By: VWright
I have a 2000 JGC with the 4.0 and used MaxLife 10W30 Last year. This year I just started using Defy 5W30 about 3 weeks ago. So far the Jeep loves it. It stopped the start up rattle it had for a minute or 2. I am getting the same mileage as with the MaxLife, about 22 mpg on Hwy at 70mph.

The one difference I noted is that MaxLife had a "Smooth" quality that doesn't seem to be there with Defy, but it saved a few bucks, and definitely works very good in this engine.

VW

Start up rattle is more a by product of what particular filter you are using vs what oil you are using generally. More specifically the difference between a silicone and a nitrile ADBV . Did you use different filters for the two runs ?? Also you are comparing two different weights , one proven to flow better at cold temps than the other ( startup ). Try using the same filter and the same weight between the two if you can , then we will have a proper comparison for startup noise .

Thanks for the replies. Im still undecided though, hearing about how Maxlife has helped slow or stop leaks makes me want to go with that, except for the Smoooothness of the Defy. Has Defy helped slow or stop any leaks for anybody?

I had been using the MaxLife 5W30 in my '80 Firebird FORMULA V8 for the past 3 summers...This spring/summer I bought a 5 qt jug of DEFY 5W30. It certainly has made the engine even more smooth/quieter than the MaxLife, which itself made the engine quiet as well.

I don't particularly want this engine to be too quiet but, it seems to have removed some of that rummble that I love in the exhaust.

Thus far though, I do like the DEFY. Both the MaxLife and the DEFY have reduced the oil drips on the garage floor and the small consumption that I had experienced during the summer.

In the short summer months that I do drive the Firebird(~500+ miles) I had been experiencing about a 1/2 qt loss of oil during those 500 miles but, no more! It stays at the full mark on the dipstick all summer and I have owned this car for 32 years, where it has always lost some oil due to burning. I have fixed many of the leaks over the years(valve cover gaskets etc).

The oil driping(and it was ONLY driping, NOT leaking out), started about 20something years ago but, even before that I always had to add ~1/2 qt during the summer even after an OCI, which I performed each summer. I have to admit that, years ago, I did put on more than 500 miles during the summer. More along the lines of 1000-1500 miles per/summer. TOTAL MILES TO DATE: 39700 miles.

So, I can attest to the HM oils to some degree!

Last edited:
Thank You all for the replies, just bought 6 quarts of MaxLife 10w-30. I will post short term results(engine noise, engine performance) soon. Im not getting my Hopes up on stopping the rear main leak though, but we will see!

I'm using 5qts Defy 5w-30 mixed with 1qt defy 10w-40 in my 4.0 jeep.
I'm 900 miles into the run and so far I'm thumbs up. Not much you can tell in only 900 miles though

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MrRPM
I'm 900 miles into the run and so far I'm thumbs up. Not much you can tell in only 900 miles though

Good blend!
thumbsup2.gif
Adds a little thickness but keeps the VI high.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: MrRPM

Good blend!
thumbsup2.gif
Adds a little thickness but keeps the VI high.

and if you remember the MDS the 10w-40 has 1200ppm ZDDP while the rest have 1000ppm ZDDP. LOL like it matters anyway...

Last edited:
Changed out the old 6 quarts of Castrol Edge w/Titanium 10w-30 and NAPA ProSelect 21515(Oversize) oil filter yesterday for 6 quarts Valvoline Maxlife 10w-30 and a NAPA Silver 31515 oil filter for this Cherokee, and feel that This might be the best oil change I have ever givin this Jeep. Her 4.0 sounds smooth and quiet, no differance than before really, but Ive got my Hopes Up on slowing that rear main seal leak. I have offered to change out the old rear main seal numerous times, but keep getting the "Oh, its alright" reply. I would love to change it out, so I can use up some of my GC stash in this Jeep, and then buy some more GC next time its on sale at VatoZone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back