Corrosion Prevention for Pliers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every winter I'll get a layer of surface corrosion on my pliers just from sitting in my tool box drawer.
The tool box sits out in a the garage with the car. The garage is not climatically controlled.
The corrosion forms on the surface of the pliers that lay down flat against the drawer liner.
I'm assuming it's because moisture gets caught between the drawer liner and the pliers.
The other side of the pliers that faces up are always fine; although I'd like to treat that side too.
I'm thinking a dry lube of some sort would be the way to go, but what would you guys recommend?

Give them a wipe with a cloth dipt in oil or spread a generous amount of talcum powder over them before you put them away for winter.

Andy
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.
55.gif

Tempest
That Eazox looks VERY interesting. I watched a video on it after reading your post. The guy was
demonstrating how to clean a gun with Eazox. It appears that the product leaves a dry film after
sitting for 10 hours. That's exactly what I'm looking for; something that dries and is invisible.
The guy in the video also mentioned "cleaning patches." I've never heard of those either.
55.gif

I throw a few moth balls in my tool box. Have you looked at trying some sort of CPC that dries with a light film?

I use Boeshield liquid I get at a bicycle shop. One drop on a tool, spread with a finger, and allowed to dry to a film works great for me. Great for preventing surface rust, lubricating tool joints, etc. I do use it on my bicycle chain and it won't attract dirt.

How about Fluid Film wool wax? It's lanolin and it doesn't dry out quickly. Totally natural, renewable, and non-toxic.

Any of the wax coatings like HDMP, or any of the wet coatings, like corrosion X or fluid film will just make a mess.

My understanding is that boeshield is fully dry/hard. Id try that or EEZox or something similar. Maybe a drop of one of the we ones inside the moving parts.

I use this on tools that sit . You will get a reside on your hands even after sitting for years, but they WILL NOT rust. Just have some disposable gloves with you.
On my Craftsman set in the flat molded case, I usually just give a six second spray and that's that. I "tested" it on an "Allen" wrench in a cup of water for 10 days and water still beaded off when I took it out.
lps3b.jpg

LPS3 LPS 3

I use corrosionX on my guns and yes, if you *spray* it on you'll wind up with a heavy residue. Instead I spray it on a microfiber cloth and then wipedown with that- puts on just enuf without going overboard.

Originally Posted By: electrolover
I use motor oil. Its about the only thing I have found that keeps my linemans from rusting for long periods.
Why did Hungarian guys pour motor oil on their gardens during days of glorious Soviet Occupation? ---- TO keep their GUNS from rusting. THere is a LESSON there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back