High mileage oil recommendation for 02 Suburban

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been skulking around the boards for a few months now and have really enjoyed what I have learned. Now I need to ask a question of my own.

I am getting ready for an oil change on my 2002 Chevy Suburban 5.3 Vortec and need some oil selection advice. I bought it with 117,000 miles a few months ago and did an oil change with 5w30 Castrol GTX High Mileage shortly thereafter. I just passed 120,000, will be making a 700+ mile trip in a few weeks, and will need a change shortly after getting back. There is a bit of a leak at the rear main seal (one drop on the driveway every few days - have only added 1/2 quart in 3,000 miles) and I would like to avoid the $800 bill to replace it. I have read good things on this forum about Valvoline MaxLife taking care of such issues after two OCIs. Does that also apply to NextGen MaxLife? There are some good prices and mail-in-rebates for the 5+ quart jugs in my area, making the NextGen cheaper than the store brand dino. Should I stick with the Castrol GTX for a few more OCI to see if that straightens things up? Go with MaxLife? MaxLife NextGen? Another brand?

The car is mostly driven within a 25 mile radius of home, but gets a good 30-45 minute highway trip (some stop and go, some 65 MPH) every week or two. I would like to maximize my gas mileage, but bought the truck knowing it is not a fuel sipper. I added a cat-back exhaust on it last weekend and plan on adding a set of headers in a few months, but probably won't be making any other mods (maybe an Airaid Jr. kit - you never know what the wife will agree to) for a while.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I have the '03 5.3L with well over 180k I bought new and so far, no need for that.

MaxLife, Pennzoil or Mobil 1 High Mileage, all will work well tohelp keep the small leak in check.

The car sat for a while before I bought it and I think the seals and gaskets dried up. No visible leaks during the test drive and then oil and ATF started pouring out all over the place after a little while. Changed out the oil pan gasket, intake manifold gasket, trans pan gasket, and probably a few other things I have pushed back to the far recesses of my mind in an effort to forget the mechanics bill.

I would not bother with the extra expense of a special high mileage oil as they don't make much difference. If you are stuck with a leak that is too expensive to repair then check to see if you can use a 5/40 rather than a 5/30, as it will reduce the leak rate. I would also try a can of Liqui Moly stop leak (Motor oil saver) to see if it helps.

No need for expensive repairs at this point. HM oils can and do help with some small leaks. Pick a brand of HM oil and stick with it for a year. Pennzoil, QS Defy, MaxLife are all good choices. If the leak continues go up a grade to 10w40 and find one in HM. There is a decent chance the leak will clear up.

Originally Posted By: skyship
I would not bother with the extra expense of a special high mileage oil as they don't make much difference. If you are stuck with a leak that is too expensive to repair then check to see if you can use a 5/40 rather than a 5/30, as it will reduce the leak rate. I would also try a can of Liqui Moly stop leak (Motor oil saver) to see if it helps.

So I shouldn't spend a relatively negligible amount of money on moving to an HM oil (maybe $1/quart, $6/fill) that many claim to address the specific issue my engine is having and should instead go thicker (I thought that was bad for overall engine longevity and lubrication) or spend more money on an engine oil additive (which is probably pretty viscous - see previous concern)?

A high mileage oil would be an excellent choice for your 'burb. Valvoline Maxlife (vanilla or NextGen) is particularly well regarded for helping replenish seals to being pliable & sealing; QS Defy also is getting some good press lately.

The Vortec isn't hard on oil so I vote for whatever name-brand high mileage oil with a quality oil filter combo is on sale when you get back... and the free after rebate NextGen Maxlife is hard to beat!

Keep 'Motor Honey' or Lucas snot out of your crankcase.

Based upon my experience, I'd recommend Maxlife.
The Nextgen flavor is at least as good, and I had a really good UOA of Nextgen Maxlife fron my old BMW, on a short 4K drain.
Since Nextgen Maxlife is currently very attractive with the MIRs, give it a try for a few OCIs.
It will likely cure your minor rear main leak, although that might also be cured with any oil simply by putting the engine back into use.

My '01 Suburban developed a small rear main leak at about 220k miles. It went away at about 240K. I did nothing different.
It currently has 252K miles and runs great. It uses maybe half a quart every oil change (6-7K) and has lived it's entire life on whatever standard dino oil and filter that is on sale and changed when the OLM light kicks on. It has never had any additives or Synthetic or HM oil.
My advice would be to use a HM oil of your choosing. It may or may not work, but like you said $6 a fill is insignificant.
Like fdcg27 said simply running the engine may do the trick.

The Castrol HM your already running is mighty good stuff, I've had very positive experiences with it in multiple vehicles. I'd give that another OCI or two, then try Maxlife if your leak isn't gone.

My neighbor has 230k on his Suburban, I think it is a 98 or 99. He changes it at 5k with Mobil 1 10W30 rain or shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back