Manual Trans Fluid meeting MB 235.13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy All,
Been doing a little research into the proper fluid for my Mercedes-Benz built G56 Transmission in my 2005 Dodge Ram. Dodge specs ATF+4 for the trans but Mercedes specs a 75w/90w Fully Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid meeting MB 235.13. Only problem is I can't find any lube that meets this spec. Mobil used to make Mobiltrans SHC DC that met the MB 235.13 but it is no longer made. Does anyone know if this was a GL-4, GL-5 or MT-1. Would Amsoil 75w-90 gear oil be a good replacement? I don't like using ATF spec'ed by the end user when the Mfgr spec's a true gear oil. Any help y'all could provide would be great.

HAve you checked Amsoil? They have some of the best gear oils out there; I'm sure they would have something for it

Last edited:
An examination of
http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/bevo-sheets-sort1.html
sheet 231.2
shows that 235.1 as well as 235.13 are specified for the G56.
235.1 is a wide range of viscosities, 235.13 appears to be 75W90
I would definitely use a GL4 because there are synchros involved.
I'd suggest Redline MT90 or Mobil Delvac Synthetic Transmission Fluid 50 (which is a GL4 that is in the 75W90 range, fully synthetic).
Don't use GL5 gear oil!

Charlie

If you do a lot of wintertime driving, particularly short distances, Redline MT85 (a 75W85) might be a good compromise, mand within the wide parameters of sheet 235.1.
Depends a lot on what part of Utah you live and operate in.

Charlie

looking at the specs for the MT90, looks like my best choice. I do a mix of in town, long distance and pulling a 12-14K trailer all over the mountain west. Thanks for the info.

Yes I know a OLD topic but I didnt want to post the samething someone did.

I also am in search of the "magic" fluid for this transmission. I emailed a guy that seems to know his stuff they suggested this (in SAE10):

http://www.schaefferoil.com/super-lube.html]

"Delvac 50 is drivetrain oil SAE 50.
Your G56 need's an oil with a viscosity of around 10.
Running an SAE 50 would be a big mistake"

So if that holds ture why would MB spec Delvac 50? my brain hurts can anyone give more me insight on this?

Since ATF is OK'd, I don't think you need to bend over backwards to get that special Mercedes spec.
A great 75-90 is the Motorcraft XT M5 QS fluid. I just put some in [different trans] and the shifting is wonderful.
Many people use it in various cars.

Originally Posted By: blacklamb

"Delvac 50 is drivetrain oil SAE 50.
Your G56 need's an oil with a viscosity of around 10.
Running an SAE 50 would be a big mistake"

So if that holds ture why would MB spec Delvac 50? my brain hurts can anyone give more me insight on this?

Delvac Synthetic Transmission Fluid 50 is essentially a 75W90 due to its' synthetic base. For example, it has a pour point of -49F, way way below that of mineral 50 oil.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back