Question about torque stick & torque wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a dumb question about torque stick and torque wrench. What are the differences between these two ? I have no idea what torque stick and torque wrench look like.

Any picture of both tools so that I will be able to tell which is which ?

"It's basically just a rod of spring steel. when it reaches a certain torque it flexes under the load and that absorbs the impact of the gun. they only work with impact wrenches, if you use them with a breaker bar it won't limit the torque."

Torque wrenches:
ctrp-1111-01-o+torque-wrench-myths+fastener-install.jpg

brake_change_torque_wheels_big.jpg

beautyshot.jpg

torque-wrenches.jpg

Torque sticks
accutorq.jpeg

04%20torque%20stick%20X07SP_CO006%5B1%5D.jpg

Torque sticks are mostly used by (hopefully) tire shops and dealers to quickly tighten wheel lugs, while still getting the lug nuts close to the optimal Torque. with out a Torque stick, lug nuts are unevenly, and over tightened.
A torque Wrench is still Much more accurate than a stick though.

torque sticks are calibrated to a certain strength impact wrench.. if you use a different strength it will be proportionally different.

ie my set is calibrated for a stronger impact wrench than my ingersol rand electric.

so I use the 100ft-lb one to achieve about 85.

120 for 100

etc.

What I usually do is tighten them down with the 80lb stick(actual ~~65)

then after they are on the ground I use the torque wrench set on 79 for the final torque(rotating collar numbered by 3's)

Last edited:
A torque stick is what they used to torque my wheel lugs nuts when my tires where rotated today.

A torque wrench is what I used to retorque wheel lug nuts in the parking lot.

Thanks Stephen.

The pictures you posted help a lot. I saw the torque wrench many time before, but didn't know what is a torque stick. Now I know what it looks like.

I don't own a torque wrench yet, I might looking for one soon. Should I get 1/2" or 3/8" ? Or both ?

Last edited:
There are several different popular types of torque wrenches: 1. micrometer type, 2. beam type and 3. Split Beam. Then there are the ones with the digital readouts. Each one has their merits.

IMO the most popular is the micrometer type where you set torque by turning the handle against a scale etched/engraved in the shaft. When the set torque is reached, you'll feel a tactile give in the handle accompanied by an audible click; stop applying torque to the fastener once this happens. These are nice in that you know when the set torque is reached without having to continuously watch a pointer like you do with a beam type. Just be advised you should dial these down to their minimum setting prior to putting them away after use.

If you have never used one of these, get acquainted with the feel and sound of the torque wrench when it reaches the desired torque; different brands may feel and sound different and the indication can be subtle. Be advised there is nothing that prevents you from continuing to tighten the fastener even more ... you can over-torque a fastener if you don't know when to stop.

The upper torque wrench in this photo is a split beam type and the lower one is a Micrometer type. Both are 1/2 drive.

Torque_Wrench_1.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Thanks Stephen.

Should I get 1/2" or 3/8" ? Or both ?

Depends on what you intend to do with it.

I might sound like a broken record but just pick all three from your local HF. This week they are giving them away for $10 each.

AND THEY ACTUALLY WORK even you might not want to be seen with them by other people :) Brown bag them or put a Snap On sticker on it if you feel embarrassed to be seen with HF tool.

- Vikas

Thanks Stephen.

The pictures you posted help a lot. I saw the torque wrench many time before, but didn't know what is a torque stick. Now I know what it looks like.

I don't own a torque wrench yet, I might looking for one soon. Should I get 1/2" or 3/8" ? Or both ?

So what have you been using to tighten your lug nuts, or any critical bolts?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Brown bag them or put a Snap On sticker on it if you feel embarrassed to be seen with HF tool.

- Vikas

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Normal wrench or breaker bar. I stopped when I felt that it was okay, sometimes I didn't stop at the correct amount of torque and broke some bolts/nuts. I should bought a torque wrench long time ago, but keep forgetting about it until the next tinkering with some works.

Thanks Stephen.

Get both.

I have a 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch click type torque wrenches.

The 1/4 inch has helped me from stripping or breaking bolts.

I would start with a 1/2 inch. I am able to do brakes, wheel lug nuts, etc. with the 1/2 inch. It is used the most.

I have a 3/8 inch beem type. It is good for spark plugs.

If you get the one that clicks be sure to set it to zero after each use. I have been told it helps with long term accuracy.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Normal wrench or breaker bar. I stopped when I felt that it was okay, sometimes I didn't stop at the correct amount of torque and broke some bolts/nuts. I should bought a torque wrench long time ago, but keep forgetting about it until the next tinkering with some works.
For lug nuts I like to use a 1/2" drive torque wrench with a range up to at least 150 lb-ft. If you plan to do suspension work then consider one with a max torque of 250 lb-ft to accommodate axle nuts, etc..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back