25hp Kohler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what is the oil of choice for a 25 hp kohler engine? Sawmill application.

OHV gas.

Last edited:
Kohler will recommend 10w30 for a 25hp Command series. If that's what you choose, I'd want it to be Kohler branded 10w30 or any other 10w30 intended for small air cooled engines.

I ran Shell Rotella 15w40 or 5w40 in mine. IMO, heavy-duty, diesel, aircooled oils are where it's at for these types of engines.

Joel

I would go with M1 10-30. It stands up to high heat very well even in long OCIs and will help in starting in cold temps.

The last couple of years I have been running Castrol GTX HM 10W-30 in my Kohler 25hp V-twin Command just because that is what I had for my vehicles.

This year I put a Purolator Classic L10241 on it for $3.27 from Walmart versus the $11.00 Kohler 5205002 filter.

Originally Posted By: 96Cherokee
The last couple of years I have been running Castrol GTX HM 10W-30 in my Kohler 25hp V-twin Command just because that is what I had for my vehicles.

This year I put a Purolator Classic L10241 on it for $3.27 from Walmart versus the $11.00 Kohler 5205002 filter.

I have a Motorcraft FL-400s on my Briggs and Stratton versus the 12$ Briggs one, triple the filter for a lot less
thumbsup2.gif

Do you guys pull UOA's on your kohlers or small engines?

Last edited:
I really should have(done a UOA)...recently changed the oil in dad's Kohler powered Cub Cadet, @57hrs(Cub manual says 50 hrs, Kohler manual says 100 hrs) put in QSAD 10w30(dad had already purchased), and a Wix 51348(same filter my neon takes, i have a stash of filters built up.)
the oil coming out (FF) looked almost as good as what went in.
at least as far as you can tell from looking anyhow.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I have switched from rotella 10w 30 to the toro full synthetic. Its sl rated so it has more zinc.

Really?

UOA Torco SR1 10W-30: Zn 892

UOA Rotella 10W-30: Zn 1314

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett
I have switched from rotella 10w 30 to the toro full synthetic. Its sl rated so it has more zinc.

Really?

UOA Torco SR1 10W-30: Zn 892

UOA Rotella 10W-30: Zn 1314

Ed

Does torco make the toro oil? My bottle of rotella says its sm, can it be 1300ppm and be sm?
If so i will go back to the rotella.

Last edited:
I have a pretty good stash of Cat Deo 10w30 that I think I will use for it.

My bottle of rotella says its sm, can it be 1300ppm and be sm?

Yes, being an HDEO, the CJ-4 rating trumps the SM rating. Rotella runs 1200-1300 ppm Zn. A step up from the Triple Protection is the Rotella T5 synthetic blend. It's an excellent oil at a bargain price.

Ed

Originally Posted By: yucca
I have a pretty good stash of Cat Deo 10w30 that I think I will use for it.

That would be a great oil for your Kohler. Like said above, use a Motorcraft FL400 sizeded (or brand of your choice) filter on it too, if space allows on your saw. You'll get more oil holding capacity with the larger filter.

Joel

Last edited:
the Kohler Filter is a xx3614 size, the same Size the dodge neon(for one) takes. use the Neon column of the listing i've compiled at THIS LINK
to find the model number for the filter brand of your choice.

I have had very good luck with the Amsoil ASE. Started using it last year in all of my commercial and personal equipment and have been very satisfied. As a bonus, it fulfills the recommended requirement for both Kohler and Kawasaki so I only need to stock one oil.
Sent a sample to Blackstone and it was still in great condition after a 100 hour service interval.

I have the Kohler 25hp engine in my Sears ZTR 7500 mower. We maintain over 4 acres of lawn so it gets alot of use. It currently has over 1800 hours on the engine. I juse Amsoil ASE Amsoil ASE 10w30 and it doesnt burn any oil at all. Clean as a whistle after 3 years of use now.
I change the oil once a year !

Last edited:
Anyone know the zinc level of the amsoil ASE ?

I have also wondered if the amsoil MCT would work well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back