06 Silverado (non replaceable pcv valve)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in a thread many moons ago i wrote about finding the PCV valve on my 06 5.3 ltr silverado.. I found it in short order and also found out its a permanent fixture onthe valve cover.. thats right its not a replacement item unless you want to replace the entire valve cover..

With that said and 71,xxx on the motor now i decided it was time to do a little cleaning.. I removedthe hose and put the red straw into the PCV hole, i depressed the buttom on the can 3 times for short bursts.. I was suprised when i seen black liquid jump back out at me. I replaced the hose and started the motor about 60 seconds later. I let it run 2-4 minutes.

I did a OCI after this was done and put fresh oil in it..

Ive noticed no ill effects of doing this and i have no doubts that it cleaned up some of the junk in the PCV.. still wish it had a replaceable unit..

just sharing.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
What did you spray into it?

oops.. left that out, carb and fuel injection cleaner.. this is something that should be done once in a while on these motors (according to a chevy tech).. i cant see it hurting

On the older 5.3's GM issued a TSB about oil consumption and to resolve that is to switch to a fixed orifice PCV valve. Later models don't have a PCV anymore, it's just an orifice integrated into the valve cover.

I changed the PCV on my 5.3L to the fixed orifice version. It's on the drivers side, close to the firewall.

No need to clean them, but I might check mines later down the road if the orifice gets gunked up.

There is also an orifice in the throttle body, and the cure is kreen.

using Kreen exactly as directed cleans the entire intake, including the PCV.

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
On the older 5.3's GM issued a TSB about oil consumption and to resolve that is to switch to a fixed orifice PCV valve. Later models don't have a PCV anymore, it's just an orifice integrated into the valve cover.

I changed the PCV on my 5.3L to the fixed orifice version. It's on the drivers side, close to the firewall.

No need to clean them, but I might check mines later down the road if the orifice gets gunked up.

Im not trying to sound confrontational here, but you second guessing yourself already.. "no need to clean it" and then youl check it to make sure its not gunked up ?

odd..
21.gif

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
Thanks for the post. Which cover is it on, bank 1 or 2?

Driver side on the very back of the VC.

Ive seen a picture of the bottom of the Chevy VC it sure is a tiny hole.. are we certain Kreen would get up in there ?
also: If your entire engine is not in need of a heavy cleaning.. Im not disagreeing with you, im just not sure a whole engine flush is needed to clean this..

but then again i dont know that a few shots of carb cleaner did the trick either.. no real way of knowing without looking into it.. and i think that might be hard.

IMHO, I would have removed the VC to do the cleaning.

1. It ensures that it is actually clean without guessing.
2. It ensures that you aren't dumping carb cleaner/solvent into your crankcase.
3. It allows you to see the cleanliness of the valvetrain

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
IMHO, I would have removed the VC to do the cleaning.

1. It ensures that it is actually clean without guessing.
2. It ensures that you aren't dumping carb cleaner/solvent into your crankcase.
3. It allows you to see the cleanliness of the valvetrain

100% agree, Assuming that everyone here has the ability and know how to remove a VC (as silly as it sounds a few might not.
also, assuming someone has the dedicated time for this procedure.. (in this case and on this day i did not) but i wanted to atleast attempt to get some gunk out.
I agree about not wanting solevents in the crank case, thats why i ran the engine and the performed a OCI after, and were talking a few short bursts from a aerosal can.. I felt pretty safe soing that.

AND, considering that a chevy tech recomended doing this.. and in this fasion.. i felt fairly safe..

All things considered if time was not a factor i completely agree with your opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back