Status
Not open for further replies.
Nashbar
Jenson USA
ebay
Performance bike
Amazon
Niagara Cycle Works

These are in no particular order. I've bought bike parts from all of these except Nashbar. No particular reason against Nashbar, I've just always found cheaper prices elsewhere on the items I wanted.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with pro bike kit. They are a UK dealer, but usually offer free shipping to North America.

I like universalcycles.com, especially when they have what I want at their Minnesota warehouse.

I have also gotten good deals from Amazon.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
LBS (local bike shop)

While I want to agree, it's not really anymore.
My LBS while I really want to like them, are just too expensive.
I can order something faster from Jenson than I can ordering through him, since they never have what you want in stock (aside from the basics)

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
LBS (local bike shop)

I can order something faster from Jenson than I can ordering through him, since they never have what you want in stock (aside from the basics)

agreed, BUT only if you know exactly what you need. I worked in shops for 15 years, and was always having someone come in with something they mail-ordered, only to find they got the wrong one, or it wouldn't fit, etc.
I spent a lot of time fixing mail-ordered bikes as well, so many times people lose any cost savings they thought they made.

If you do research and know what you want and what will work....I like Nashbar and Performance. Great prices comparatively. Fast delivery.

Ribble cycles: Cheapest one, no international tracking number but it's free and fast delivery, but some items are not available internationally (liquids, lubes, bike trainers, big items etc.), they are really good overall. This is my favorite place so far, they usually give the best price.

Chain reaction cycles: Not the cheapest, but they provide tracking number. They sell big items internationally with free shipping. Their customer service is good as well.

Jenson usa: Expensive, but they pay duties on behalf of you, so you don't have to deal with customs (important fact if you live in Canada).

US stores are usually expensive, I don't know why. GB sellers convert GBP to CAD (or any other currencies), so it is easier for international buyers to see what they are going to pay.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
LBS (local bike shop)

This can be your "LBS" now
wink.gif

https://www.rosebikes.com/

Make friends with someone at the LBS and see if they'll let you order stuff on QBP at their cost + 10-20%. A friend owns a shop and I do order stuff but IMO the prices aren't spectacular.

Other than that, you're looking at the gray market. The US market is pretty screwed up with MAP policies to keep stuff from being diverted to Amazon or eBay(QBP, Shimano, Mavic and a few others have systems in place to pull stuff off Amazon or eBay) but the bike market is very low margin and in places like Portland/SF/Seattle people who work at shops aren't making enough to thrive, but some bike shops aren't the greatest, I know of one in Oakland who won't serve you unless you're covered in tattoos and look/act like a grungy punk.

If Shimano/SRAM/Mavic want to do a service to bike shops, they will need to have a better pricing strategy against the gray market.

First - who will do the install and upgrade ?
Secondly - are you spending significant $$$

if no sentimental value i say get a new used bike - lots of changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back