Warm/Hot Start-Up Tick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

You could be correct there. I've seen GM use both setups.

Chevy was ball/stud for the most part (I haven't kept up with details of the LS-series, honestly). Oldsmobile and Cadillac used shaft-mounted rockers. Buick too, IIRC.

Chrysler used rocker shafts exclusively up until the "Magnum" series of the 318 and 360, when they switched to a braced stud system adopted from AMC v8s after the companies merged. Well, there was one exception: the ball-stud Hemi. Around 1970, the company considered Hemi-head big-block engines the 440 and 383, but to avoid the complexity of the dual rocker shafts used on the 426 Street Hemi they planned to use Chevy-like ball-stud rockers. A couple of prototypes were built, and I think one still existed in **** Landy's collection at the time of his death anyway. Various reasons were given for the engine never going into production- either ChryCo had already read the tea leaves and knew that the big-block would be extinct in less than 10 years, or work already done on the Street Hemi had shown that it was going to be hard to meet EPA emissions regs scheduled to come rolling in starting in 71. Either way, they made a good call. As much fun as a cheap Hemi big-block would have been, they'd have never gotten a return on investment since the gas crunch was only a couple of years away and smallblocks took over the world.

Here is the ticking. At the beginning you can see my oil pressure gauge jump right up to 30 psi.

Tick is audible right at start up. Begins to fade around 40 seconds in. However, it is still audible if you crawl under truck.....and you can still hear it in the video.

Lastly, at idle, I can feel exhaust gases leak out where the exhaust manifold bolts to the exhaust pipe....right near the front wheel wells.

Here is where my exhaust leak is.....but can't tell where noise is coming from.
photobucket-32360-1345685360860.jpg

Last edited:
Seconds 7-12 give you the most noticeable segment of the sound. It's pretty high pitched and VERY fast. Doesn't sound like typical valve tick that I've been finding on Youtube. This sound is much faster.

What you guys think?

The open door alarm drowns out the startup from the cabin, so I don't hear anything bad. As you walk to the engine I hear some belt squeal/bearing noises which is normal for the age. As you focus on the valve cover I don't hear any lifter tick, I hear knocking. Like a rod, bearing, or piston slap noise.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
The open door alarm drowns out the startup from the cabin, so I don't hear anything bad. As you walk to the engine I hear some belt squeal/bearing noises which is normal for the age. As you focus on the valve cover I don't hear any lifter tick, I hear knocking. Like a rod, bearing, or piston slap noise.

As I head for the front of the truck, you don't hear that clicking noise....about 3-5 ticks per second? It's in the whole video, but it's really apparent and the loudest as I'm walking towards the front of the truck.

Are you say that noise is belt chatter?

With the needle wavering like it does, I'd guess that gauge is basically a undampened version of a idiot light... I wouldn't trust it and would verify pressures with a external gauge...

A buddy has a old GMC that the gauge fluctuates wildly idling vs at speed but the engine is fine, doesn't have any noises...

Originally Posted By: TFB1
With the needle wavering like it does, I'd guess that gauge is basically a undampened version of a idiot light... I wouldn't trust it and would verify pressures with a external gauge

No, the oil pressure gauge just jump when I'm starting it. Once it's started and my hand is off the ignition for maybe 1-2 seconds, it's stays right at 30psi.

LeakySeals was indicating a knock sounds he thought he heard or bearing. Might be misrepresented in the video I made. I can't hear anything like that. Can you guys hear that very rapid high pitch tap? Does anyone else think that this is belt chirping/squeak?

that sounds like belt noise to me, totally separate from internal engine mechanical. Check the belt and pulleys for any looseness. Check water pump for play, as well as balancer movement.

Squirt a dab of penetrant lube (wd40) at the belt and see if the noise goes away.

Slight possibility of an intake leak, but i would have to see the truck to be able to tell. Try spraying carb cleaner around the head to intake mating surfaces. If you note an idle change, there is your problem. Have you checked manifold vacuum at all?

Last edited:
have you noticed if the noise was there before the manifold replacement?

Originally Posted By: Astro14
There is one other potential cause of ticking at idle that goes away as the engine warms: manifold gasket failing. As the MANIFOLD warms (not oil, not engine...and it would warm faster with increased RPM), the slight gap closes up and the tick goes away.

Are you able to hear the difference betweeen a manifold/exhaust tick or lifter tick? Do you have a friend with a stethoscope?

So, in the end...it wasn't a lifter...but this (or close...)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back