Maxlife Engine Protector Vs Synpower Oil Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:
Motorbike, I added a bottle of the Synpower Oil Treatment to the sump of Mopar Brand oil (probably Exxon or Mobil) and I immediatly noticed an increase in smoothness.

I think it's a great product for enhancing certain low cost oils at a treat rate of 1 oz per quart " approximately " so to remain cost effective . I'm not certain more than that would produce better results anyway but at the above rate I'll get 3 oil changes out of one bottle .

When I used it the TBN recieved a definate bump as did the moly , zinc , mag and boron at only 1 ounce per quart w/o jacking with the viscosity .

I found later that the engine it was used in was detonating elevating a wear metal and maybe two . That little problem has since been fixed
smile.gif

Well, I ended up using all 15oz in the sump since this Jeep is a college geared engine. Even the best have its limits. I drove this Jeep to LSU on Wednesday and it did great. The Delo made my Jeep feel a little sluggish at first but after it started getting used to the engine, it was great.

After I added the whole bottle, the Jeep became really quiet! I never heard the engine the whole trip! (well, except when I downshifted to pass but it was still quiet) I really like this additive. I should do a UOA on this interval but as a college student and having such a proven engine in terms of wear, I don't think it is truely necessary but I do admit, it would be interesting.

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:
just went to a local walmart. maxlife engine protector is now $3.94 for a 15 oz bottle. dropped $1 in price

Today I saw the Maxlife Engine Protector at Walmart for $2.94 a bottle.

quote:

It was never stated whether or not the Synpower Engine Treatment contained the same additives as the Max Life Engine Protector.

Same set of additives but less.

The MaxLife Engine Protector is IMHO, the better buy at $2.94.

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:
Stopped by walmart yesterday..maxlife engine protector price is now $2.94. rollbacked.
grin.gif

Oh, Maxlife fuel system cleaner is $2.50 for 16 oz but I just bought redline SI-1 fuel system cleaner at advanced auto parts for $5.98 15 oz

Whoops. Didn't see that you already had posted this over two months ago. I think you did well to use the SI-1 over the Maxlife fuel system cleaner. The Redline worked great for me.

Guess there is no hurry for me to buy more. I don't want to
gr_eek2.gif
too much over this stuff. After all you can't drink it--or can you?
freak2.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:

quote:

It was never stated whether or not the Synpower Engine Treatment contained the same additives as the Max Life Engine Protector.

Same set of additives but less.

The MaxLife Engine Protector is IMHO, the better buy at $2.94.

So the Synpower Engine Treatment has lower additive levels. Glad I bought 4 bottles of the Max EP at $2.94. I think I will go back for another 4 bottles.
gr_eek2.gif

This was posted from the Maxlife Engine Protector VOA:

Moly 489
Boron 40
Phos. 567
Potasium 11
Zinc 625
Calcium 240
Mg. 57

The moly is pretty hefty even divided over 5 qts of oil (489 / 5 = 98 ppm, which is a great number for Moly). But beyond that the other adds barely keep up with the regular oil. Most SL oils have a fair bit more than the above listed zinc and phosphorus etc. So it appears the only benefit to this stuff is the Moly, albeit a great benefit. Perhaps it helps with TBN too?

TallPaul,
You are being a little over optimistic with your calculation of the moly this would add to a 5 quart sump.

1 quart = 32 oz
5 quarts = 160 oz
MLEP = 15 oz
160oz / 15oz = 10.66
489ppm / 10.66 = 46ppm

Does this look correct to you or have I missed something?

I wish we had a VOA of the Synpower Engine Treatment. Going by the MSDS if I calculated correctly Synpower would have.

Zinc 2700ppm
Calcium 1020ppm
Magnesium 810ppm

These are higher concentrations than in the MLEP so maybe the moly is also more concentrated.

leanintoit, you are right. I divided by five, but that would assume the MLEP was a quart. Since it is a half quart the oil represents ten units.

What I am having trouble with is converting from percent (Synpower Oil Treatment tech sheet says Zinc is 0.270 percent by weight) to ppm.

EDIT: MolaKule, who posted those VOA numbers, said that the MELP would boost the moly about 100 ppm in a 4.5 qt sump: http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000131#000000
It that is true, then so would the phosphorus and zinc be boosted about 100 ppm, but I don't get how if the MLEP only has around 500 ppm of each of these components and it divides out by nine parts in his example. Maybe someone can help me understand. I am having a brain cramp!
frown.gif

[ August 06, 2004, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: TallPaul ]

I calculated Zinc at 2700ppm like this.
1,000,000 x .0027 = 2700

The MSDS says Zinc is .27% by wieght. So since we are figuring in parts per million I start with 1 million. I know 1% is 10,000 and is represented as .01 so .27% would be .0027 times 1,000,000. I think this is correct.

If the MSDS is to be believed then SPOT
grin.gif
has a much stronger add package the MLEP.

At the bottom of page one of your link MolaKule says 50ppm for a 4 quart sump.

Thanks leanintoit. Now it all makes sense.

So adding a whole bottle to my 6 qt sump of Maxlife 10w40 would give me a phosphorus boost of about 5.6 %:

Maxlife 10w40: 0.095%
P(MLEP)= 0.0567%
15 oz /192 = 0.078
0.0567 * 0.078 = 0.0044

Total with the oil 0.095 + 0.0044 = 0.099

For these 15 oz. bottle adds, you can assume 10-11% treatment rate .

I.E., whatever the original material is in your OTC third-party additive bottle, take 10% of that element and this is how much material increase you will see in your bulk oil.

For example.

Let's say for the grey bottle OTC additive, the phosphorus reading at VOA was Phos 1578, or rounded up to 1600 ppm. [Always round up or down, since the formulator is shooting for round numbers, too!]

This means that when added to 4-5 quart sumps, the amount of additional phosphorus added to your total oil would be 160 ppm.

Let's say your original oil's VOA showed a P of 900 ppm. Then by adding the Grey bottle contents, your final P level should be approx. 1060 ppm.

[ August 19, 2004, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
For example. Let's say for the grey bottle OTC additive, the phosphorus reading at VOA was Phos 1578, or rounded up to 1600 ppm.

Let's say your original oil's VOA showed a P of 900 ppm. Then by adding the Grey bottle contents, your final P level should be approx. 1060 ppm.

I get 970 ppm on a 5 quart sump using 4.5 qts of oil and 0.5 qt (approx) additive:

4.5 qt * 900 = 4050
0.5 qt * 1600 = 800
4050 + 800 = 4850
4850 / 5 = 970

Basically I am subtracting the oil's phosphorus level from the additive (else it dilutes the oil's phosphorus level) and spreading the remainder over both oil and additive:

(1600 - 900 )/10 + 900 = 970

Given that, it appears the Maxlife Engine Protector at 600 ppm phosphorus would actually dilute the oil's phosphorus level. Maxlife oil is listed at 950 ppm (0.095 percent by weight) phosphorus. So:

4.5 * 950 = 4275
0.5 * 600 = 300
4250 + 300 = 4550
4550 / 5 = 910
shocked.gif

Me thinks I will return the 4 $3 MLEPs to Wallmart tomorrow and exchange for 3 $4 SPOTs (Synpower Oil Treatment) with its mucho zinc and phosphorus and other goodies (albeit less moly).
smile.gif

Or am I missing something here?
blush.gif
Like maybe that the additive, possibly being polymers instead of petroleum, does not count in the volume.

[ August 22, 2004, 12:32 AM: Message edited by: TallPaul ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back