General Grabber HTS vs. Cooper Discoverer A/T3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which one to pick? These tires will be for my RX.

I can get the Cooper's for $303. And, the General's for $400.

I'm really torn between which one to get. I can also go for the BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A Tour, which will only be a few dollars more.

Do you really need such an aggressive tire?

The BFG Long Trail T/A Tour would likely return better fuel economy.

I just ordered the Coopers for my Toyota. They should do well in the snow if that's what you're looking for.

Never had those Coopers, but had others and was well satisfied. I just got 255/55/18 General HTS for a SAAB SUV. Was looking for better treadlife and winter traction than most of the tires in this size offer. Without a doubt, they are very different, than the 20k mile sport tires we run. Give up a little bit of instant turning response, gained a little bit smoother ride. Only about 5k in, so have no guess on expected treadlife. Thus far I would have nothing objectional to say about the HTS.

It's a tough question. It really depends on what you want out of a tire. A little more of this, a little less of that! Where are you buying from? Local or online?

Many folks like the Cooper tires and $300 is a good price for 4 of anything!
smile.gif

I must say that the Michelin Latitude and LTX M/S 2 are quite expensive but, really make a difference in an SUV! I don't own either of them but, friends/family do and what a difference in their SUV's!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Do you really need such an aggressive tire?

The BFG Long Trail T/A Tour would likely return better fuel economy.

The General seems to have better reviews than the BFG on tire rack. The General's are also LRR.

I'm not too worried about mpg, I bought a CUV and will pay the price for owning one. lol

I don't necessarily need aggressive tread tires, but for the price the General's seem the best.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
It's a tough question. It really depends on what you want out of a tire. A little more of this, a little less of that! Where are you buying from? Local or online?

Many folks like the Cooper tires and $300 is a good price for 4 of anything!
smile.gif

I must say that the Michelin Latitude and LTX M/S 2 are quite expensive but, really make a difference in an SUV! I don't own either of them but, friends/family do and what a difference in their SUV's!

I'm ordering or rather just ordered from Discount Tire Direct. I went with the General Grabber's. Came out to about $520 right now, and then after rebates should cost me $390. Not bad... I'll have them installed for free by my uncle.

I agree about the Michelin Latitude and LTX M/S (2). Although, From some reviews I've read it seems that you can even compare the General tires to them, which is surprising as the Generals' are much cheaper than the Michelin's. I can't justify spending that much though.

The General tires are rated well enough that they won't put myself or anyone else at risk on the road. And, they are much, much, much better than the tires I have on now.

The generals are a highway tire the coopers are an AT tire.. they are different tire categories and really arent comparable.

the coopers do have 205 in rebates at DTD if you open a credit acct. or 175$ without.

both are decent tires but for a highway tire I dont think the generals would come close to the michelins IMHO and I'm not a michelin fanboy.

Coming up to a year very soon using General Grabber HTS. Probably have 30-somthing K miles on them and have been very satisfied. Loads of tread left (some didn't get the miles). Looks hardly worn.
Previous was Michelin LTX which got a growl/howl by the time they were 1/4 worn. I had good luck with the LTX on other vehicles - guess my RAV didn't care for them.
I'd buy the HTS again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back