Mobil 1 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: blank1
does it make a big differnce now that M1 0w-40 new life is a Group 3 oil and not PAO?

Only if you're a big PAO fan.
smile.gif

does it make a big differnce now that M1 0w-40 new life is a Group 3 oil and not PAO?

In a separate thread, Doug Hillary strongly endorsed the current version of M1 0W40 for my turbo charged Volvo describing it as a world class lubricant. Given Doug's knowledge base, that recommendation was more than good enough for me.

maybe a silly question...
when did mobil change the "formulation" for the 0w-40 to Group 3?
i was wondering if i could find any bottles that were produced before the change..

Where did you get this info from? Somehow I doubt it's majority group 3 given the demanding nature of its specs and performance...

Originally Posted By: Leo

Where did you get this info from? Somehow I doubt it's majority group 3 given the demanding nature of its specs and performance...

Exactly. Though it could contain some GTL base now. Regardless, it meets the most demanding spec's of any readily available production lubricant, that alone speaks volumes.

maybe a silly question...
when did mobil change the "formulation" for the 0w-40 to Group 3?
i was wondering if i could find any bottles that were produced before the change..

It's not just grp 3. Those here at BITOG know that M1 oils are a blend of several base stocks which XM keeps hush hush.

I willing to wager the formula was improved.

The biggest issue with the whole PAO vs group III was the whole complaint filed by Mobil versus Castrol on the marketing term of "synthetic".

Yeah I think dave is right. If you can get the same/similar results using a Grp III+ with PAO or whatever, it's really a non issue and as others have mentioned these oils are using multiple base stocks and additives. So you can't draw too much just based on base oils alone. Mobil has historically always used the best for their flagship product. Esters range in quality also.

Quote:
Mobil 1 is part of our ultimate line of advanced full synthetics. It uses the latest in additive and base oil technologies that provide superior protection, and outperforms Mobil Super Synthetic. ...............

Mobil Super Synthetic is a full synthetic that uses synthetic-base oils. It outperforms our conventional and synthetic blend products. It meets or exceeds the latest industry requirements, GF-5 /API SN. The product offers performance consistent with many synthetics in the market.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

I willing to wager the formula was improved.

The biggest issue with the whole PAO vs group III was the whole complaint filed by Mobil versus Castrol on the marketing term of "synthetic".

Don't know.....the price went down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back