Hyundai Santa Fe oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, new here with a newb question.
I'm looking for an oil recommendation for my 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5 v6 AWD.
The car now has 18,000 miles on it and I do my own oil changes except for once the dealer did it.
My owner's manual actually recommends Quaker State, so that's what I used the first time. Second time the dealer did it using "Trop Arctic", I'm sure it was bulk and I don't know if it was regular or synthetic.
The next two oil changes I used Castrol GTX and finally this last time, I used Quaker State Ultimate Durability.
All is 5-20 and ALWAYS use a Hyundai filter.
I am severe service, specially in a cold climate, so I stay with Hyundai's schedule.
These engines make a little racket when started cold, so I'm trying to minimize that, but have had no luck. What ever 'flavor' the dealer put it, made it noisier, IMO.

So, any comments on what to use?
Is there much difference between Quaker State Ultimate Durability and Pennzoil Platinum?
What about the blends, Motorcraft, etc.
Again, I stick with Hyundai's severe schedule of 3750 mile/6 months.
Sorry this is long and thanks!

Originally Posted By: becky1
The car now has 18,000 miles on it and I do my own oil changes except for once the dealer did it.
My owner's manual actually recommends Quaker State, so that's what I used the first time. Second time the dealer did it using "Trop Arctic", I'm sure it was bulk and I don't know if it was regular or synthetic.
The next two oil changes I used Castrol GTX and finally this last time, I used Quaker State Ultimate Durability.
I am severe service, specially in a cold climate, so I stay with Hyundai's schedule.
These engines make a little racket when started cold, so I'm trying to minimize that, but have had no luck. What ever 'flavor' the dealer put it, made it noisier, IMO.

Is there much difference between Quaker State Ultimate Durability and Pennzoil Platinum?

Hi Becky, I have a 2004 Santa Fe. Yours might react differently to my findings but I recently started a document on my computer noting the differences and changes I saw with certain oils.

Hyundai

9/8/10 Castrol GTX High Mileage :
+/- : Good highway mileage. Fairly smooth. Had more problems with transmission downshifting at stops (for some reason?).

6/24/11 Quaker State Ultimate Durability :
+/- : Easy shifting and gets up to operating temps in winter time. Contributes to more engine noise in the winter time. A noisy oil for the Hyundai.

03/19/12 Mobil Super 5000 :
+/- : Slightly more horsepower. Less smooth of a ride. Felt leathery. Average.

06/10/12 Pennzoil High Mileage :
+/- : Tons more horsepower. Smooth running and fun to drive. Probably doesn’t get up to operating temp as fast due to thicker base stock. Would use again.

08/10/12 Valvoline SynPower Max Life :
+/- : Magic. This oil improved my vehicle in every way possible. Really smooth. Quiet engine. Almost like it’s purring. Easier driving. Acceleration less choppy. Like floating on a cloud at highway speeds. Easier to speed up, slow down, turn…sounds ridiculous but it’s true. This is the synthetic oil for my vehicle.

Hope that helps!
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Amsoil 0w20 (will help with cold starts,won't hurt your engine) and a fram ultra guard filter. But whatever you do STOP changing brands of oil!!! Pick one and stick with it!! I use 2 brands. Castrol or amsoil. Currently running castrol in the van and truck because castrol is the best conventional IMO. Just switched the van castrol edge synth. Amsoil in everything else (quad snowmobiles dirt bike 3 wheeler chainsaw and weedwhacker)

Originally Posted By: zerosoma

Hi Becky, I have a 2004 Santa Fe. Yours might react differently to my findings but I recently started a document on my computer noting the differences and changes I saw with certain oils.

Hyundai

9/8/10 Castrol GTX High Mileage :
+/- : Good highway mileage. Fairly smooth. Had more problems with transmission downshifting at stops (for some reason?).

6/24/11 Quaker State Ultimate Durability :
+/- : Easy shifting and gets up to operating temps in winter time. Contributes to more engine noise in the winter time. A noisy oil for the Hyundai.

03/19/12 Mobil Super 5000 :
+/- : Slightly more horsepower. Less smooth of a ride. Felt leathery. Average.

06/10/12 Pennzoil High Mileage :
+/- : Tons more horsepower. Smooth running and fun to drive. Probably doesn’t get up to operating temp as fast due to thicker base stock. Would use again.

08/10/12 Valvoline SynPower Max Life :
+/- : Magic. This oil improved my vehicle in every way possible. Really smooth. Quiet engine. Almost like it’s purring. Easier driving. Acceleration less choppy. Like floating on a cloud at highway speeds. Easier to speed up, slow down, turn…sounds ridiculous but it’s true. This is the synthetic oil for my vehicle.

Hope that helps!
thumbsup2.gif

Interesting, thanks!

[various oils]...
Had more problems with transmission downshifting at stops (for some reason?).
Easy shifting
Less smooth of a ride.
Like floating on a cloud at highway speeds. Easier to speed up, slow down, turn…

Call me a skeptic, but please help me understand how the engine oil in your crankcase made a difference with the transmission, suspension, brakes & steering system.

Would you consider doing a double-blind experiment to see what you think of different oils when you don't know which one is being used? I would wager you would not be able to pick them out repeatedly by how they 'feel'.

To the OP, any of the name-brand 5w20 or 0w20 oils will work just fine in your Santa Fe. I would use whichever one is easiest to get that's on sale. Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w20 often gets happy noises made about it as it is an excellent value and easy to get. FWIW I have not used the MC blend or any 0/5w20 oils. I just picked up 2 OCIs worth of Mobil 1 0w20 for our new Mazda 5 while AutoZone had them on sale but have yet to put it in.

I understand that you're in Minnesnowta, but why are you using the 'severe service' maintenance schedule. Lots of short trips?

Becky, I dunno that there's a bad 5w20 in the bunch. They're all good. I know when I owned my 2008 Santa Fe that spec'd 5w20, I'd pick up Napa full synthetic 5w20 when it's on sale for well under $4/qt and run it for 6-7500 miles between oil changes. I always ran Hyundai filters too, but I had the 2.7L V6 that used a spin-on as opposed to the cartridge filter your 3.5L uses.

The 3.5 is by nature a little tappy sounding because of it's shim/bucket valve lash 'adjustment' system and the fact it has a timing chain. They're a good engine.

Joel

Last edited:
I own a 2011 Santa Fe Limited V6(17K miles) and use PP(5K oci) with the Hyundai oil filter. It runs great and is quiet on startup...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: scurvy
[various oils]...
Easy shifting
Less smooth of a ride.
Like floating on a cloud at highway speeds. Easier to speed up, slow down, turn…

Call me a skeptic, but please help me understand how the engine oil in your crankcase made a difference with the transmission, suspension, brakes & steering system.

Would you consider doing a double-blind experiment to see what you think of different oils when you don't know which one is being used? I would wager you would not be able to pick them out repeatedly by how they 'feel'.

To the OP, any of the name-brand 5w20 or 0w20 oils will work just fine in your Santa Fe. I would use whichever one is easiest to get that's on sale. Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w20 often gets happy noises made about it as it is an excellent value and easy to get. FWIW I have not used the MC blend or any 0/5w20 oils. I just picked up 2 OCIs worth of Mobil 1 0w20 for our new Mazda 5 while AutoZone had them on sale but have yet to put it in.

I understand that you're in Minnesnowta, but why are you using the 'severe service' maintenance schedule. Lots of short trips?

More short trips, yes and it cools off rapidly.

Thanks for all the comments, keep 'em coming!
It's all very interesting.

I've been hearing a lot of Hyundai owners experience noise at start up. I experience this myself with my Elantra.

Based on what I read here I wanted to like the SOPUS products, but I've run both QSUD and PP and experienced start up noise and what I perceived to be a rough running engine.

I'm on my second fill of Synpower and my Elantra is running smooth as silk with no startup noise.

Being as you are on severe service I personally would hestitate to spend the extra money on a synthetic. You might try VWB, or PYB if you want to try to SOPUS products.

FYI to your original post, TropArtic is a synthetic blend.

Originally Posted By: ruxCYtable
I've been hearing a lot of Hyundai owners experience noise at start up. I experience this myself with my Elantra.

Based on what I read here I wanted to like the SOPUS products, but I've run both QSUD and PP and experienced start up noise and what I perceived to be a rough running engine.

I'm on my second fill of Synpower and my Elantra is running smooth as silk with no startup noise.

Being as you are on severe service I personally would hestitate to spend the extra money on a synthetic. You might try VWB, or PYB if you want to try to SOPUS products.

I'm not committed to SOPUS, just wondered what the difference was between the two synthetics.
Dealer tells me the noise is normal and I'm beginning to think it is, just trying to minimize it.

I know synthetics are pricey give my short OCIs.

Thank you for the comment.

I'm not committed to SOPUS, just wondered what the difference was between the two synthetics.
Dealer tells me the noise is normal and I'm beginning to think it is, just trying to minimize it.

Yes, the start up noise is apparently normal. I have done a lot of reading on it.

The start up noise I have experienced occurred with every start when I was using QSUD and PP. With Synpower it occurs about once in every 10 starts. I don't know what the noise is or why a certain brand of oil would impact it, but it does.

Yes, the start up noise is apparently normal. I have done a lot of reading on it.

The start up noise I have experienced occurred with every start when I was using QSUD and PP. With Synpower it occurs about once in every 10 starts. I don't know what the noise is or why a certain brand of oil would impact it, but it does.

Great info, better than the Hyundai forum! Thanks.

Many people have had start up noise concerns and it seems to come from draining the factory fill to early. At the Hyundai forum there is info on people draining at 1K and getting excessive startup noise. I drained FF at 3K miles and at startup it is pretty quiet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Many people have had start up noise concerns and it seems to come from draining the factory fill to early. At the Hyundai forum there is info on people draining at 1K and getting excessive startup noise. I drained FF at 3K miles and at startup it is pretty quiet.
I don't see how this could be related. The noise was occurring with the factory fill still in it. No offense, but this sounds like a theory someone pulled straight out of his or her backside.

Tally #2 for Valvoline Synthetic. I love the stuff!

Originally Posted By: scurvy
[various oils]...
Easy shifting
Less smooth of a ride.

I would like to try a test like that! Might be interested with the results.

Note that I am not nor was I really biased towards any oil in this documentation. What I wrote here is not particularly meant to be treated as fact, just my observations (it is opinion, as your signature says). It was not filtered as to live up to "Bitog standards" of factual information. This was a personal entry of mine so that I can remember whoat the oil was like.. Perhaps I should have PM'ed it.

And most of what I am talking about relates to engine performance but I worded it in a way that I would remember what I was experiencing. That's all.
lol.gif

The noise you are hearing on newer Hyundai motors on startup is injector noise. Hyundai is using much higher pressure injectors than they used to. The result is that you hear them slapping when they open and close. No cause for concern.

On 2nd generation Santa Fe's, people often complained of a "tick" in their motor at idle. It is actually the purge valve making noise when it opens and closes.

And of course the dreaded engine knock caused by aftermarket oil filters. Any oil filter that alters the rate of oil flow can cause motor issues. Hyundai has a TSB for it.

Originally Posted By: salv
The noise you are hearing on newer Hyundai motors on startup is injector noise. Hyundai is using much higher pressure injectors than they used to. The result is that you hear them slapping when they open and close. No cause for concern.

On 2nd generation Santa Fe's, people often complained of a "tick" in their motor at idle. It is actually the purge valve making noise when it opens and closes.

And of course the dreaded engine knock caused by aftermarket oil filters. Any oil filter that alters the rate of oil flow can cause motor issues. Hyundai has a TSB for it.

As I said before, this only occurs on a cold engine. If I didn't know better, I'd say it sounds like a hydraulic device pumping up (cam chain adjuster perhaps??) and then after it sits overnight slowly leaks down and the process starts over again. I'm sure there is injector noise too.
This noise occurred with factory fill oil too and I changed it at the recommended mileage.
Hyundai oil filters have always been used.

The one time it was silent on a cold start up was: On a 10 degree morning,I started (normal racket), drove two blocks, turned it off to go to the store, then came home. I started it up again the next morning, still 10 degrees, and it was virtually silent.

I did run across on a KIA forum that some noise for "3-5 seconds on cold engine start up is normal" and that is what I experience except for that one time.

My old '08 Highlander had injector noise, but that mostly happened on a load, like taking off from a stop first thing.

I could be a combination of all this.

If it's normal, I'll just live with it. I would just like to know what it is.

I would like to try a test like that! Might be interested with the results.

Note that I am not nor was I really biased towards any oil in this documentation. What I wrote here is not particularly meant to be treated as fact, just my observations (it is opinion, as your signature says). It was not filtered as to live up to "Bitog standards" of factual information. This was a personal entry of mine so that I can remember whoat the oil was like.. Perhaps I should have PM'ed it.

Not giving you a hard time about your observations - I simply wanted to point out that many of your entries had little or nothing to do with the engine, where the oil could have an effect.

I very much would like to do a randomized, double-blind trial with someone who can 'feel' the engine differently with different lubricants. Mostly because I've never 'felt' a difference with any engine & lubricant when staying in the same viscosity grade. And in my considerably biased opinion, it wouldn't stand up to even a modicum of scientific rigor. If your brain/heart/guts buys into the marketing hooey on the bottle or the testimonials of others, dollars to doughnuts that's how the engine is going to 'feel' on that oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back