MITSUBISHI DiaQueen LSD Gear Oil SAE 90

Status
Not open for further replies.
diaqueen.jpg

I know there is a lot of misconception with the Mitsubishi oils, but does anyone have any information on this oil in particular. I know it is a GL-5 used for Hypoid gears mostly in the Lancer Evolutions and other Mitsu AWD cars.

I would like to know more about it, if anyone can shed some light.

Information on Mitsubishi, or any other "OEM" fluids are very difficult to come by. Are you looking for something like a spec sheet? I've tried obtaining more specific info on Mitsubishi and Toyota fluids, but they do not give it out, like it's some sort of magic potion or something.

Anyhow, what I can say from my research is this product, along with some other DiaQueen products, are specifically produced for Mitsubishi by ENEOS. This one is specifically developed for the Evo's (VIII and IX) transfer case and rear differential, although it's also spec'd for the Pajero/Montero, L200 and the likes. It is pretty viscous and gooey in texture, unlike other GL-5 fluids you may come by. The front differentials can use a standard GL-5 fluid, however.

It's also spec'd for my Pajero, and according to the owner's manual the alternative is Castrol Hypoy LS GL-5. It is mineral based, and service life depends on application. For trucks, it's 'good for' 40,000 km (25,000 miles), whereas for the Evo it's 'good for' 25,000 km (15,600 miles). Hope you find this somewhat helpful.

SAE90 is used because usually its thicker then a 75w90 and supposedly will shear less. GL5 is required for diffs and overloaded transfer cases. LSD additive is to keep the LS action smooth.

Since SAE90 isn't too easily found in a store, run a 75w110 or blend a 75w90 with 75w140. Use a full synthetic fluid for best protection and make sure it is LSD additive dosed.

And, if the vehicle is modded for more power, I myself would step up to a 140wt for protection.

Royalpurple also has a SAE90.
Amsoil, JoeGibbs...have 75w110.

The OE fill is simply a low bid exclusive to the automaker fluid that pads their bottom line.

The only thing that worries is that there is also a special additive in the OEM Diaqueen LSD Gear Oil for the ACD clutch packs in the transfer case and rear diff. of the Lancer Evolution X (my car).

This has me worried that running thing else will not have the needed additive to protect the ACD clutch packs and will wear out quicker.

I dissagree that the Diaqueen oil is just a "low bid" type of thing. The Evo is a limited production street legal race car that demands the best protection for its small gear sets. To obtain any kind of durability this oil must be VERY tough. I have heard various reports of who makes it. I have heard ENEOS or Castrol makes it. I do know that the 75/85 gear oil for the 8/9 MR is made by Castrol as its a "rebadged" Castrol Syntorque fluid. I have nothing to actually base this on other than "insider" info so take it as such. I do know of many tuners that ONLY reccomend the use of this oil for any type of durability. So my vote is STICK WITH THIS FLUID. The Tranny has a little le way in what can be used, at least on the 5 spd.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Overpriced factory fill fluid.

Mitsubishi gives a ten year 160,000 km warranty on engine and drivetrain. So yeah, must be a really really lousy OEM lubricant. Best to avoid using it. Thanks for the tip, genius.

Warranty has nothing to do with fluids, but has a lot to do with statisticians, accountants, and sales.

Thanks for the complement. I am Mensa. You?

I've been running Mobile1 75w-90 in my Outlander tcase and rear diff...no problems for the last 7k miles.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Warranty has nothing to do with fluids, but has a lot to do with statisticians, accountants, and sales.

Thanks for the complement. I am Mensa. You?

LOL - nice spelling must be Mensa...

English is my 2nd language of several. And, when I type on forums, I type fast & make plenty of spelling, grammatical, and punctuation mistakes. Go ahead, waste your life proofreading 1000's of my posts. You'll find a few hundred more mistakes. But, you'll probably learn something.

And, if spelling were the only requirement for Mensa, they'd be useless like your comment.

I would like to add that I have been using only this fluid in my 2003 Evo. I now have 205,000 miles on the odometer. The transfercase and rear diff seem to like it fine even with the drag strip launches and daily abuse. Car makes about 400hp and tq at the wheels.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it's probably not overpriced factory fill.

I dumped that stuff out at 12,000 miles on my car and used VWB 80w90. I am having no problems. On Mitsubishi forums that I browse, I find that many people use various 75w90 synthetics and have no problems.

I am convinced that Dia-queen is just another generic oil, because on so many trucks that take SAE90, I either use 80w90 conventional or 75w90 synthetic and have zero problems.

I dumped the Diaqueen for Mobil 1 75w90 in my Evo X's diff and t/c and haven't looked back as it was actually cheaper, is friction modified for LSDs and superior in almost every aspect.

My theory is that Mitsu use a straight SAE90 due to the tiny capacities of the diff (1qt) and T/C (0.6qt) and needed to make sure the lubricant did not shear down after abuse. If you use a quality synthetic like M1, Redline etc, there is no reason why a 75w90 can't be used. The Diaqueen was thick as tar when cold! The amount of metal on both filler magnets using the Diaqueen was huge which prompted me to seek an alternative.

Pennzoil Gearplus 80w90 in both, transfer case and rear diff. Never had an issue with this tried and true fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back