new cell phone Q

Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine they are all trackable. I mean even without a GPS lock, Google Maps can figure out where I am within a few hundred yards. Plus most smartphones try to turn on GPS for a lot of programs.

Anything with a signal is traceable/trackable ,,,uncle sam is never to far away

yes they are they can be pinpointed to the exact whereabouts ..There is more did you know that every text message is saved forever? And your calls are not so private either.. I know this for a fact.
And did you know that the police has a device to scan your phone and get all the information??
I went with my brother to a security seminar and i saw it first hand on my cell..

geeeeee. ",uncle sam is never to far away" man o man iam so glad, when my brain stops working i can know at least my government can find me.

Trackability:
If the cell phone is powered up and in range of a tower, it's no big deal to figure out which tower is nearest. If it's within range of two towers, resolution is much better. If it's even marginally within range of four towers they can get within 150 feet of the thing.

Traceability:
This is different. Getting an untraceable phone can still be done, but with use it eventually becomes possible to trace it. My backup cell phone is an old flip on a prepaid plan taken over from one of my ex-wife's gayboys and always paid for in cash. After three years the carrier (AT&T) let me know they know who I am. I had used it less than once a month. A friend of mine uses a TracFone that he had one of the local Mexicans purchase in cash using a fake name and address and is always paid up using prepaid cards also bought with cash. He uses it regularly, so it took all of two months for them to send him a text message with his name and DOB in it.

Yes, most are, unless you turn your Location based services off....but even that is hard to disable "completely" unless you know some backdoor/coding/programming knowledge :X Not to mention, it could frag/brick your phone and cause it to not boot :p

But yea, I know my phone has 2 settings.

Location ON
Location OFF, E911 only

Not to mention, as long as it's powered on, your phone is bouncing signals off all nearby cell towers....

Originally Posted By: morris
are the new cell phones trackable?

Yes. Any cell phone is trackable to an extent due to you can see what cell tower the cell phone is connected to. Seeing what towers a phone has been in contact with can show where it is approximately and where it is going.

New phones with gps trackers can be tracked within a couple of feet of the cell phone.
The gps tracker can be turned "off" by the user.

If your worried about big brother, don't be. Truth is, the government can track you on your cell phone. A lot of people refuse to get a phone with gps because they are afraid of that. They are full of themselves. Because truth be told, the government, just like everyone else, does not care where you are. There is not enough budget, staff, or reason to actively track everyone. Srry to burst everyone's bubble. We are just not that important.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
If your worried about big brother, don't be. Truth is, the government can track you on your cell phone. A lot of people refuse to get a phone with gps because they are afraid of that. They are full of themselves. Because truth be told, the government, just like everyone else, does not care where you are. There is not enough budget, staff, or reason to actively track everyone. Srry to burst everyone's bubble. We are just not that important.

... Until you do something that Big Brother finds objectionable.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

Yea. You can wear my tin foil hat.

But the data itself may be collected by the carrier. And when the government asks, the carrier will have to hand it over.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

But the data itself may be collected by the carrier. And when the government asks, the carrier will have to hand it over.

Again, there are billions of people that have cellphones in the world. The vast majority of the US population has them. The government just does not care to track you. We like to think some one out there is out to get us. That we are special. You and I are nothing to the government. They have zero interest in knowing where you or I go. If you by some chance mange to get flagged by the government, some data analyst getting paid beans may investigate your data along with the 1000's of other red flagged individuals that popped up during that given 10 minute span. The people that work for the NSA that are employed to do the "tracking" don't even care about you. As long as your not up to something, the system might pick you up and spit you back out before your even done reading this post.

Here is how I look at it:
It's like having library with a list of places every single person in the world has been. It's just to much data to compile, sort, and analyze for something that really has no use. Even if their was some underground government group going through those lists, and even if by some 1 in 100000000000 chance they come across your list: Who cares? What are they going to do with it????

Way to much other, real, things to concern our selves with than this silly stuff.

Be logical. There is no big conspiracy.

I'm not saying there is a conspiracy or that we are all being tracked in real time. All I said was that if the authorities want this data, for example to prove your whereabouts as legal evidence in court, all they have to do is give your number to the carrier and the carrier is obliged to hand over whatever they have.

I'm not saying there is a conspiracy or that we are all being tracked in real time. All I said was that if the authorities want this data, for example to prove your whereabouts as legal evidence in court, all they have to do is give your number to the carrier and the carrier is obliged to hand over whatever they have.

This is true.

I just don't see an issue.

That's an awesome retort! And I totally get it now: Because YOU don't see a problem with authority collecting data about our private communications without our knowledge or consent, THERE IS NO PROBLEM. There is no problem. I never would have understood that but for the dismissive insult.

Why is a conspiracy a predicate for anyone objecting to private data collection? What conspiracy existed in times and places in human history when authority was mis-used? That may be the real gotcha for folks like you: There is no conspiracy; no shadowy figures behind veiled shadowy shadows plotting against YOU the individual, and there are not many people who thin there are. The objections come against out-in-the-open policies and practices of those in power; and extend to the nature and structure of the power itself.

That's an awesome retort! And I totally get it now: Because YOU don't see a problem with authority collecting data about our private communications without our knowledge or consent, THERE IS NO PROBLEM. There is no problem. I never would have understood that but for the dismissive insult.

Why is a conspiracy a predicate for anyone objecting to private data collection? What conspiracy existed in times and places in human history when authority was mis-used? That may be the real gotcha for folks like you: There is no conspiracy; no shadowy figures behind veiled shadowy shadows plotting against YOU the individual, and there are not many people who thin there are. The objections come against out-in-the-open policies and practices of those in power; and extend to the nature and structure of the power itself.

It is what it is. There is no changing it. You may feel good to speak out against it, but it serves no point.

What's the issue again? PM me since we are getting political and I will tell you the exact truth. You will more than likely call me a moron and go on with your views. But, I'm willing to share my opinion.

Again, there are billions of people that have cellphones in the world. The vast majority of the US population has them. The government just does not care to track you. We like to think some one out there is out to get us. That we are special. You and I are nothing to the government. They have zero interest in knowing where you or I go. If you by some chance mange to get flagged by the government, some data analyst getting paid beans may investigate your data along with the 1000's of other red flagged individuals that popped up during that given 10 minute span. The people that work for the NSA that are employed to do the "tracking" don't even care about you. As long as your not up to something, the system might pick you up and spit you back out before your even done reading this post.

Here is how I look at it:
It's like having library with a list of places every single person in the world has been. It's just to much data to compile, sort, and analyze for something that really has no use. Even if their was some underground government group going through those lists, and even if by some 1 in 100000000000 chance they come across your list: Who cares? What are they going to do with it????

Way to much other, real, things to concern our selves with than this silly stuff.

The SUBJECT was if a signal can be tracked/traced --The answer is YES ,,It did NOT refer to everyone being followed by uncle sam every minute ,, ---AND IF (quote if ) uncle sam wants to find you THEY CAN IF THEY WANT--- LOGICAL as easy as can be here

keep it private dont talk on your phone or go to the spy shop and get a professional scrambler, they work very well for a cost of around a thousand dollars..
personally i dont care about big bro i care about the average joe knowing my business.. There are more spies out there in the woods than you think... (i got that saying from a spy shop worker.
you can get anything with the correct amount of cash

well if they want to follow me, it will be a very boring time. fill with gas, buy new underwear, buy my girl friend, oh never mind.

Have you considered leasing? Sure, you can get a really good deal buying, but it's too easy to get locked into a lemon if you don't know what to look for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back