Clay barring the new car. Any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Id wash the car with kitchen soap before doing the clay bar to strip the surface of all waxes and some environmental debris, then proceed to clay and apply the lube liberally then wash again and wax/seal the car, then get a chair and stare at the beauty with a cold one
cheers3.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
You can re-wash if you want to. Sometimes the residue from the clay bar will leave a bit of a mess, so another wash would not hurt. It's up to you, though. I usually wipe down the car with quick detailing spray just to remove any clay smudges, smears, etc.

There are a few methods of claying a car. The traditional method is as you described above; wash and then clay. There's also an alternative method where you clay AS YOU wash. Be sure to use a car shampoo that has a high level of lubricity. I absolutely LOVE the Duragloss shampoo due to its lubricity. So using this alternative method, you would take a mit/sponge and wipe a panel with your shampoo. Then dip the clay bar in the shampoo solution and go over the same panel. Rinse and move to another panel. Once you're done, proceed with polishing (if needed) and then apply a coat of quality wax or sealant.

A few works of caution when using a clay bar:
1. There are varying grades of abrasiveness with automotive clays. You should be fine with any that you buy at an auto parts store, such as Meguiars, Mothers, etc. They are all very mild. You only need to be careful if you buy professional versions of clay bars.

2. If you drop the clay on the ground, throw it away. Clay does not release contaminants. So if you drop it, it will pick up very small particles of dirt, sand, etc, and this will cause marring in your paint, ranging from mild to very severe.

3. Kneed the clay often. Just like I said in #2 above, clay hold contaminants, including those removed from your paint. It can then use those paint contaminants to scratch the rest of your car.

BTW, autopia.org forums have a wealth of detailing info if you're so inclined to read.

Claying a car is really pretty goof-proof as long as you wash the car first. My only suggestions are to use lots of spray lubricant (if you don't, you can scratch the finish and bits of clay can flake off, making a small mess) and rotate/knead the clay frequently. I've never found it necessary to wash again after claying.

If you clay the car in cool weather (fat chance this year), putting the clay in the microwave for a few seconds makes it much more malleable and easy to use.

I think you'll really like e results.

Originally Posted By: dja4260

-Wash car with actual car wash soap
you want to use dishwashing soap.,so that it strips away any wax,and any other junk that's going to get in the way of the clay.You'll have better results.

Good tips above. I like washing and claying at the same time like bamorris2 mentioned. Plus using DG soap is excellent. I also like Danh's recomendation on microwaving the clay. 20 seconds will be perfect.

Wash car first with auto soap then wash again with the dish soap would be ideal. Knock off the big stuff with the car soap with its lubricity then get the leftover contaminants with the dish soap.

Originally Posted By: bamorris2
There are a few methods of claying a car. The traditional method is as you described above; wash and then clay. There's also an alternative method where you clay AS YOU wash. Be sure to use a car shampoo that has a high level of lubricity. I absolutely LOVE the Duragloss shampoo due to its lubricity. So using this alternative method, you would take a mit/sponge and wipe a panel with your shampoo. Then dip the clay bar in the shampoo solution and go over the same panel. Rinse and move to another panel. Once you're done, proceed with polishing (if needed) and then apply a coat of quality wax or sealant.

A few works of caution when using a clay bar:
1. There are varying grades of abrasiveness with automotive clays. You should be fine with any that you buy at an auto parts store, such as Meguiars, Mothers, etc. They are all very mild. You only need to be careful if you buy professional versions of clay bars.

2. If you drop the clay on the ground, throw it away. Clay does not release contaminants. So if you drop it, it will pick up very small particles of dirt, sand, etc, and this will cause marring in your paint, ranging from mild to very severe.

3. Kneed the clay often. Just like I said in #2 above, clay hold contaminants, including those removed from your paint. It can then use those paint contaminants to scratch the rest of your car.

BTW, autopia.org forums have a wealth of detailing info if you're so inclined to read.

+1 SPOT ON! Follow this and you will have excellent results. Do not use dishwashing detergent as it will slowly cause clearcoat damage. Use a deticated car wash soap.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Originally Posted By: dja4260

-Wash car with actual car wash soap
you want to use dishwashing soap.,so that it strips away any wax,and any other junk that's going to get in the way of the clay.You'll have better results.
+1,000

I washed the car first with car wash soap, them again with a light dish soap. I clayed the car, which was very easy and only took 30 minutes. I'm about to go out and wax it. success thus far.

Originally Posted By: bamorris2

Regarding dropped clay, instead of tossing it you can relegate it to glass only use. Knead to get dirt to the inside before use. You will be quite amazed at the glass after claying.

And yes, autopia is a great resource.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
please don't say Turtle Wax. please don't say Turtle Wax. please don't say Turtle Wax. (fingers crossed)

You just said that nasty word. I cringed when I read it 3 times. :)

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Originally Posted By: dwcopple
please don't say Turtle Wax. please don't say Turtle Wax. please don't say Turtle Wax. (fingers crossed)

You just said that nasty word. I cringed when I read it 3 times. :)

I used a Meguiar's brand car wax. It was like 9 bucks. I forget the exact name.

What is the problem with turtle wax?

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
You don't need to wash with Dawn. Clay will strip anything that's on there anyway.

X2. I don't see a reason to use any dish washing soap when the clay barring + polishing before applying your choice of sealant / wax.

^Yes i recommend polishing after you clay bar the finish to remove any clay bar marring as well as refine the finish with a good polish. Even the paint on new cars isn't perfect, esp if the car has been at the dealer for even a few weeks.

Heck i've seen brand new cars off the truck get washed by the idiot teens using dirty rags that they used on the rims of the previous car on your paint, instantly imbedding scratches!

I suggest a good thorough polish to bring the finish to the utmost shine.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: kkreit01
You don't need to wash with Dawn. Clay will strip anything that's on there anyway.

X2. I don't see a reason to use any dish washing soap when the clay barring + polishing before applying your choice of sealant / wax.

^Yes i recommend polishing after you clay bar the finish to remove any clay bar marring as well as refine the finish with a good polish. Even the paint on new cars isn't perfect, esp if the car has been at the dealer for even a few weeks.

Heck i've seen brand new cars off the truck get washed by the idiot teens using dirty rags that they used on the rims of the previous car on your paint, instantly imbedding scratches!

I suggest a good thorough polish to bring the finish to the utmost shine.

One of the advantages of claying is that, unlike polishing, it doesn't remove paint and clear coat along with contaminants. In my mind, polishing after claying sort of defeats the whole purpose of claying in the first place. One of my cars is 8 years old and has never been touched with polish or a wax with abrasives, only clay followed with a non-abrasive wax. Still looks great.

Originally Posted By: Danh
polishing after claying sort of defeats the whole purpose of claying in the first place.
they serve a completely different purpose. Clay is to remove contaminants while polishing removes defects, such as swirls and hazing. Clay can't and won't do that. A decent wax/sealant will just fill and hide it for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back