Do Hondas really need special PS fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: sayjac
A few months ago did similar with Prestone Power Steering for Honda/Acura on the same vehicle because Bardahl is no longer readily available.

Oddly enough, the Bardahl stuff is still all over the place at our WMs. I don't know much about Bardahl these days, but back in the day, they were highly respected for their Japanese motorcycle specific fluids.

Odd. Yeah, when I was looking in a couple Wally's some months back, the Bardahl black bottle with cardboard bottle neck ad stating specifically for use in Honda/Acura, was no longer there. Used to be the only aftermarket Honda PSF I'd see, for some reason gone now. But, the reasonably prices Prestone H/A PSF yellow bottle has now taken it's place, so that works for me. IIRC, the Bardahl H/A PSF may have been the only Bardahl product sold at Wally.

Interesting diy posted above, never seen that before. I'd be kinda leery about cranking the steering wheel lock to lock too many times. Just me.

Originally Posted By: JOD
The Honda instructions look good, though I wouldn't turn in more than one quick turn without refilling the reservoir (or, better yet, have someone add fluid while you're draining the old fluid). This will prevent a bunch of air getting into the system. Honda seem better than most at quickly getting air out of the PS system (this would take months on my Ford). Still, there's no reason to run the system completely dry.

There's absolutely zero harm in doing the drain exactly the Honda way. There's enough residual fluid in the system to provide for sufficient lubrication while the system is "dry".

And the system is not anywhere near "dry" when it's empty. I estimate about 15% of the old fluid is left behind, clinging to the walls of the system, and pooled in the low spots. That would be maybe 8oz out of the total 51oz (1.5 liter) in a full system.

A tip: I find it handy to raise the front end so the wheels are off the ground. This makes it easier to turn the steering wheel as the fluid runs out, while reducing the load on the system.

Honda PSF has a different visc (thicker) and a detergent additive package (it was shown in the product data sheet on a manufacturer / blender between Honda and non Honda PSF). Most people recommend Honda branded PSF because it is only $4-5 a pint vs $2-3 of aftermarket brand, and Honda is synthetic blend, and yes you only need 2 bottles.

I used the turkey baster method on my Accord using OE Honda PSF, it took 5 bottles (12once) until it was relatively clear. The old fluid was the color of coffee, the new fluid going in was almost clear/opaque, the car and fluid had about 40k miles on it.

I noticed this last night while working out what fluid to buy/try next.

The Honda approved stuff was 11.7 cst, and listed a zinc content, similar to tractor hydraulic fluid.

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/power-steering-&-suspension-fluids/hpso_%28honda_power_steering_oil%29

Last edited:
Quote:
I used Supertech PS fluid thinking that all PS fluids are the same

Not really. Honda's are picky about this.

Pump and/or rack failure is all too common when non Honda fluid is used.

BTW forget the Turkey baster method in this case the fluid is contaminated. disconnect the return line and flush the fluid out.

Edit: Sometimes i take the belt off and use a cordless drill with a socket to turn the pump slowly in its normal direction of rotation with the return line in a jug.
When the fluid stops flowing add new fluid and repeat until the fluid coming out looks the same as what's going in.

Last edited:
Sorry to be a dissenter, but Redline PS fluid is about as close as any, analytically speaking, to the Honda fluid.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
But, the reasonably prices Prestone H/A PSF yellow bottle has now taken it's place, so that works for me. IIRC, the Bardahl H/A PSF may have been the only Bardahl product sold at Wally.

Interesting diy posted above, never seen that before. I'd be kinda leery about cranking the steering wheel lock to lock too many times. Just me.

I've seen the Honda compatible Prestone stuff there, too. As for the lock to lock cranking, that's mentioned in a lot of Infiniti DIY guides, with the engine off, mind you, and is the bleed procedure from the FSM, obviously with the reservoir full and the engine running, though.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Sorry to be a dissenter, but Redline PS fluid is about as close as any, analytically speaking, to the Honda fluid.

All the honda "specced" fluids I can get Oz specs for are over 10cst, while the redline in between 6 and 7

The Redline PSF has an additive package very similar to the Honda PS fluid. The Redline PS has slightly more AW additives than the Honda PS.

The Redline synthetic fluid comes in at 7.0 cSt virgin and shears to about 6.4 cSt after repeated mechanical and thermal cycling.

Original virgin Honda PS (mostly mineral oil base) comes in at about 10.5 cSt and shears down to about 5.5 cSt after repeated mechanical and thermal cycling.

Last edited:
In the first '88 Honda Accord that I owned, as part of my normal PM on all my vehicles, I changed out the Honda Factory P/S Fluid with some STP P/S Fluid, not knowing that Honda's required their own P/S Fluid.

Shortly after doing so, I didn't loose my P/S function but, did loose my steering return and had to return the steertine wheel to center on my own.

After learning that these Honda systems needed a specific P/S Fluid, I change out the STP and put Honda P/S Fluid back in. Slowly, the steering return was normal again...I was lucky!

Although over the years, I did use Bardahl P/S Fluid for Honda/Acura with good success
smile.gif

Redline is like $11-$15/bottle. The aftermarket stuff whatever it may be is like $3/bottle. Even the OEM fluid is like $5/bottle. I am not sure the AW-(anti-wear, I am assuming) amount justifies putting it in if you change out your P/S fluid regularly.

Last edited:
I've used the Napa brand PS fluid that is specifically for Hondas/Acuras for a couple of turkey baster drain and refills. My steering rack is now leaking from the passenger side seal. This is the original 20 year old rack, so I can't say if the fluid caused it, or if it was just old age. Regardless, I'm gonna play it safe and just use the Honda brand stuff from now on.

The driver's side boot on the rack on our CR-V has begun to show wet. It's always been damp, but recently, it's enough for fluid to bead on the bottom of some of the convolutes and act as though it'll drip. Nothing on the garage floor yet. Only serviced with Honda PS fluid, so there that theory goes!

It has right at 65k miles. It will go to the dealer next week for inspection. That Honda Care I only paid $600 for at the time of purchase just might make good on itself.

Quote:
I am not sure the AW-(anti-wear, I am assuming) amount justifies putting it in if you change out your P/S fluid regularly.

True, it might not be cost justifiable if you Turkey-Baste your fluid every two years or sooner.

The Redline does have a long life for those who do not want to change fluid that often.

Last edited:
You will all be relieved to know that tonight I flushed my PS fluid again -- this time using genuine OE Honda Power Steering Fluid. It was $4.60 per 12 oz bottle at the parts desk of my local Honda dealer -- fairly reasonable. I used 2 bottles.

I think I got a little air in the system when I was filling it back up. The top of the reservoir was all foamy and the pump was groaning a bit. Just checked again and the foam in the reservoir is gone now.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
You will all be relieved to know that tonight I flushed my PS fluid again -- this time using genuine OE Honda Power Steering Fluid. It was $4.60 per 12 oz bottle at the parts desk of my local Honda dealer -- fairly reasonable. I used 2 bottles.

I think I got a little air in the system when I was filling it back up. The top of the reservoir was all foamy and the pump was groaning a bit. Just checked again and the foam in the reservoir is gone now.

Good choice!

I used the Bardahl Power Steering fluid for Hondas a few years ago and even though it claimed to meet Honda specifications it has much different properties in cold weather. In the cold the Bardahl made the steering very stiff. I changed it out back to Honda and checked the two fluids side by side; at -30C the Bardahl was much thicker and would not pour verses the Honda which still poured easily.

Not worth saving a few dollars.

BTW this was the first time I had done anything with the stock fluid which was not changed or added to or touched from 1994 to 2010. No issues at all with the steering rack or power steering pump so I don't think there is a very good argument for paying extra for Redline either.

MVA, I too have heard this statement from others in you neck of the woods or in Northern Canada.
smile.gif

But, for myself, while using the Bardahl-Honda P/S fluid here in Western NY(along Lake Ontario), I can't quite say that I noticed the steering becoming stiff in the winter time alghough, I can't say either, that our winters temps are as cold as in BC.

Some sections of NY State do become very cold and temps can drop down into the sub zero(even -20/-30 deg F) but not quite where I live. Some parts of NYS may even get to -40 but, I haven't visited there...I believe that those lower temps can make all the difference in the P/S fluid.

We may drop below zero but, not for long!

Sciphi(if you chime in) how cold does it get in you part of NYS?
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
I am not sure the AW-(anti-wear, I am assuming) amount justifies putting it in if you change out your P/S fluid regularly.

True, it might not be cost justifiable if you Turkey-Baste your fluid every two years or sooner.

The Redline does have a long life for those who do not want to change fluid that often.

The Redline PSF may cost more but you're getting a whole quart (32oz) apposed to only 12oz. And you can use it in just about anything from Hondas to PS systems calling for DexIII. So for "all fleet" purposes it makes sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back