Kreen test...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friday evening I dropped a few ounces (10) of Kreen in the '06 Toyota Prius. The car has 168k+ and has recently started burning about 1/2 quart of oil every 3k. The car had all of the oil changes from new to 120k done at the dealer with DINO, and it developed a substantial varnish. Since 125k I have used M1/HM 5/30 and most recently PP and PU. The engine did not appear to be any cleaner after the PP or PU. I took before pics but haven't figured out how to get them here just yet.

Save locally on computer as a .jpg or .png. Upload to photobucket. Use "enter an image" button here. Attach the "direct link".

or..

copy and paste the "image link" code from photobucket here

Looks just like My Camry did when I first bought it. Loaded with dino goop, and the signature varnish dip stick. The Kreen helped, but for me M1 HM 5w30 eliminated 80% of the varnish within the first oil change. I'm still running it 90k later. Clean your PCV valve, drain and fill your coolant.

Last edited:
I just changed the PCV, Plugs and coolant on both sides(hybrid/ICE) and the Transaxle fluid about 10k ago.Should i check them again. Its a real pain on the Prius..

Not terrible, but I wouldn't want that in my engine. Let us know how it goes with the Kreen, with pics! Pics are always good.

search my username and I have some pics of my Nissan with valve cover off.

My oil would never get very dark at all. The dino would stay fairly clean all the way to 5k miles. After some Kreen, it's the exact same color as the varnish.

I'll be changing the oil in about a month and be posting more pics of the valve cover off to see if anything has improved.

I'm sure it has tho.

Kreen will dissolve anything. It's incredible.

I guess that I probably have developed enough buildup on the valves for it to start burning some oil after 160K. I had noticed a pretty good buildup on the oil pan and screen when I changed them last summer, I just figured there wasn't much I could do for it. That was until I read many of the Kreen updates and stories... I thought it might be worth a try. I did note that after running a few minutes with the Kreen the engine the lifters were quieter. My wife even asked if I had done something to her car because it wasn't as "LOUD". I would try to get more Pic's of the inside of the engine but I would basically have to pull the entire engine to do that.

Can you all see the Pic's I posted above?

#1 pic is of the oil fill hole, topside.
#2 is the varnish on the dipstick after I wiped it clean.

Last edited:
The oil consumption may be coming from the rings getting stuck in that goop. You can pour an ounce of Kreen down each cyl overnight. Will help free them up and clean your piston tops.

The only problem to that is the 2 hours of labor to get the plugs out...I'm exaggerating a little. I may just have to wait and see how the oil treatment works out after a few cycles.

Here is a pic i took last night(Tuesday)5 days after putting the Kreen in the crankcase. The varnish is not as dark and appears to be thinning a bit already.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
The plugs on the Prius are a real pain. They are basically under the wiper cowling and about 8 inches down from the top of the Valve cover. Because of the over hang you have to use multiple 4" socket extensions that you assemble while it in the plug tube. The PCV valve is a real booger even for a contortionist and a knuckle grinder for those of us with large hands.

color tint is different between the two pictures, so it is little difficult to ascertain whether there is real change or not

Here's the pics side by side for convenience of my fellow BITOG'ers.

I agree tint is a bit different but you think you see a difference in person you probably do.

I kinda noticed that too...it is really hard to get a good photo in there because of the cowling. I took about 15 pictures before I could get one that was in focus. The only reason I took the photo yesterday was because my curiosity got the best of me and I had to take a look. It looked different than it did a few days before so I decided to take a pic.I was trying get a picture of the oil on the dipstick when my wife came running out of the house with my son an jumped in the car. I barely had time to get the dipstick back in and the hood closed before she was backing out. They were late for a boot camp and I was left standing with a camera and an oily towel.

Thanks KCjeep! I think I may try to use a drop light to light it up better and take the pic without the flash next time.

If you see the difference, then it is good! It is very difficult to photograph through the filler hole. If the rate of improvement continues, then the change would be obvious by the end of the cleaning period.

Good News- Part of the reason I decided to try this stuff was the car had been running a little rougher and the mileage had dropped from 48mpg to 41-42mpg over the last 6-8 months. I though maybe the varnish was Gumming stuff up but many people have offered that the varnish was harmless and to just drive it. Well, my wife called me this morning and informed me that she was back to getting 48 mpg. I don't know if the Kreen had anything to do with it, in fact in the back of my mind there is no "logical" reasoning that could explain a MPG increase. I just changed the plugs, PCV valve etc. around 10k ago and it had no effect on the MPG's even though I had expected it to. The car has gone 261 miles since the Kreen went in the crankcase and I am actually looking forward to changing the oil and starting round 2. One thing I worried about was the heat we had been having this summer (105+ frequently) would affect the Kreen or even the engine itself. Fortunately we have been blessed with fantastic weather lately including significant rain and much lower temps. This eased my fears a bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back