Scientific paper on PEA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rjacket
Thanks to XB70 here's a clearer copy which I managed to put in the right page order

Download Link

Could you refresh that link or provide a new pointer?

Cleaning a valve through the intake with a good PEA cleaner may get some stuff off.
But it is such short duration and is inefficient There really is a problem with DI systems.

So are we saying that a few oz 0f Techron per fillup might be better than 20oz once per oil change? Especially for the many of us whom do extended oci?
So I think I'm seeing that the recommended application of before an oil change is not that the oil should be changed due to the effects of PEA, but rather the old 3000 miles and it's easy to remember when to dose it with an oil change.

So shall I do it mid oci and at oci... or a little bit each week...
and if the latter, then mix with MMO or alternate them? I have seen some mixing and I guess some products are a mix? hmmmm

One bottle of Redline SI-1 every OCI... In my experience, it works a little better then Techron. If you have 50K plus miles and never used a good cleaner, then I would try a bottle in two consecutive tanks...

Last edited:
i just dumped half a bottle of Gumout Complete fuel system cleaner and friction modifier (no Regane visible on label). It was the other half of a bottle i had a few months ago. Shock tx into about 5 gallons remaining.

i smelled the bottle after, smelled like a piece of salmon in there. strong

Originally Posted By: NismoMax80
So are we saying that a few oz 0f Techron per fillup might be better than 20oz once per oil change? Especially for the many of us whom do extended oci?
So I think I'm seeing that the recommended application of before an oil change is not that the oil should be changed due to the effects of PEA, but rather the old 3000 miles and it's easy to remember when to dose it with an oil change.

So shall I do it mid oci and at oci... or a little bit each week...
and if the latter, then mix with MMO or alternate them? I have seen some mixing and I guess some products are a mix? hmmmm

PEA works over time, read the paper. The Shock dose will clean but I do not think it will as well as doing a decent concentration over time.

^Think of it this way:

The longer whatever dosage size is in the gas tank the better.

So, don't use PEA in 'cleaning dose' (the larger dose) and go drive on a road trip. Use it in your normal routine of driving, even if that means infrequent use. Just avoid road trips and using that as a time to dose. Maintenance dosages in between cleaning doses I don't think it matters as much.

any chance someone knows the concentration in Chevron gas if one wants to try and match the ratio with low dosing of Techron concentrate?

Does it make sense to stretch out the bottle to last 3000 miles instead of dumping all 20oz in at once?
If my quick math is correct I think it came to 0.5oz : 15 gallon gas fill. That seems way too low.

It would seem Chevron likes to sell you their gas with Techron and still encourage you to run the Concentrate every 3000 too. So maybe 1oz each gas fill? I still wonder if that is even effective for maintenance.

Originally Posted By: rjacket
Thanks to XB70 here's a clearer copy which I managed to put in the right page order

Download Link

Can you provide a working link? This is no longer working.

Thanks,

Originally Posted By: vo_marz
does it say anything about cleaning soot off the exhaust system / catalyst?

soot off of the exhaust system is irrelevant to that of any form of cleaners, for it's related to the following:

(1) lots of cold starts and hard acceleration before your gasoline engine warms up to normal operating temp (closed-loop), it will be running cold+rich and any unburned or partially burned gasoline with a cold (non operating temp cat) will ended up as soot on your tailpipe.

The only way to minimise soot is to accelerate slowly after a cold start.

(2) dry soot means too rich of the exhaust, mostly due to frequent hard acceleration when engine still cold; oily soot indicates oil burning issues in your IC engine, not related to fuel-injectors.

CAT cannot be cleaned with any additives from what I understand. As those precious metal becomes poisoned over time (due to gasoline-related additive poisoning, oil burning engines, etc.) will eventually rendered ineffective. The only way to deal with this is to promptly replace the CAT with a new one (factory or aftermarket).

PEA is particularly effective in ported fuel injection intake portion of the fuel injectors and intake valves, etc. Once it gets into the combustion chamber and gets burned along with the gas+air mixture, it should be "spent" so no more cleaning possible as the exhaust gas exited out from the exhaust port.

Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back