Synthetic Motor oil for Ford 2810 and 3910 tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I currently run Rotella 15-40 oil for these tractors. Today i was thinking of switching for Rotella 5-40 for better protection for cold starting. Is there a reason to stay away from synthetic oils for these older tractors?

Thanks,

Rotella Triple T 15W/40 has a pour point of -22F. Shell doesn't list a borderline pumping temp, but that typically might be about 20 degrees higher, rounded to 0F. So your current oil should pump OK down to about 0F during cold starts. I assume that even the coldest temps in NC are relatively moderate compared to that. So upgrading to synthetic for cold weather purposes would not fall into a "need" category, although there could be other benefits, such as less frequent oil changes.
http://www-static.shell.com/static/can-en/downloads/shell_for_businesses/oils_lubricants/1-53.pdf

I never crank them below 30F anyway as i dont use them much then anyways. So really looking at 30F and above. Tractors crank fine but they do sit a month or so between usage. Ive heard synthetics adhear to the cylinder walls longer reducing engine wear at start up. Is this true?

Originally Posted By: Sawtooth
I never crank them below 30F anyway as i dont use them much then anyways. So really looking at 30F and above. Tractors crank fine but they do sit a month or so between usage. Ive heard synthetics adhear to the cylinder walls longer reducing engine wear at start up. Is this true?

Not that I've heard. Synthetics have various clear benefits (extreme heat, cold, long oil cycles, engines that shear oil more than others, etc.), but I'm personally unaware of the "Remains on surfaces longer" argument. Perhaps others have heard differently (something other than just the usual rumors).

The engine will crank over faster in cold temperatures (starts easier) and the oil pressure will come up quite a lot faster with synthetics.
I use it during the winter in my vehicles and my small Ford 1720 tractor.

Wish I'd seen this earlier. I have a 2810 and had winter starting problems on 15W40 when the temps got to the 'teens. Wouldn't crank over fast enough in a cold, unheated barn when I needed it to start for winter snowplowing. Synthetic probably would have cured it but I'm a cheapskate and my answer was, and still is, 10W30 HDEO oil, which I have run since about '06. I have recently switched from the Triple Protection conventional to the T5 semi-syn because the T5 has better cold start performance and currently is selling for the same price.
You may raise an eyebrow at my viscosity choice (OMG... something other than a 40 grade in a diesel... sacrilege ( : < ) but I can assure you the engine is doing great in all respects and I could elaborate on why ... but won't unless asked.

Sawtooth, how cold does it get in your area? I would have guessed that 15w-40 would work perfectly fine year-round in NC.

To follow up on Jim's comments - Does anyone have an original manual for a 2810? Lots of equipment from that era called for a 10w, 20w, 20w-20, or 30w oil depending on the ambient temperature. 10w-30 HDEO sounds like a good choice for an engine that doesn't experience high oil temps.

If you are going to do something like run the engine "right on the pin" with a brush-hog in July, I'd consider an oil temperature gauge and/or Xw-40. It is amazing how hot things get when the oil cooler & radiator get plugged with dandelion seeds.

robRoy. and Sawtooth.. I do have the original manuals for the 2810 (mine's an '89) and here is what is called out

SAE 30: +40-100+
SAE 20W40/20W-50: +20-100+
SAE15W40: +20-100+
SAE 10W30: 0-100+
SAE 10W: -13-+40

You can see why I used the 10W30. I'm due for a change this fall and will UOA. It will be the longest run by hours I've made... a bit over 100... in the two year time interval I use. The only danger I see to the 10W30 is fuel dilution but that hasn't been a problem for me in the past.

I do run "on the pin in July" sometimes but it's relatively short duration. I've never had my temporary oil temp gauge hooked up at that moment, though.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Rotella 5w-40 is some nice stuff. I would use it in confidence

I use it in my Kioti DK40SE and cold starts (0 to 20F)are basically the same as a summer start. Cranks fast and the oil light turns off quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back