Do Hondas really need special PS fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did a PS fluid change on my 97 Honda Accord. I used Supertech PS fluid thinking that all PS fluids are the same. Lately I have noticed that there are several Honda/Acura-specific PS fluids out there.

Examples:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-Honda-Power-Steering-Fluid/20850664

http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/power-steering-products/power-steering-fluid/109

So I have a few questions:

a) Do Hondas/Acuras really need a different PS fluid than other makes?

b) What is the difference in these fluids vs the regular type suitable for all other makes?

c) Do I need to purge my system of the Supertech fluid I just put in my car and use some Honda/Acura specific type of fluid?

Thanks!

Yes, for a mouse quiet PS pump use the Honda spec fluid.

I bought about 10 bottles of the AAP brand Honda spec fluid using the 40% discount code.

You should use only Honda spec fluid in Honda power steering system. You should completely flush your power steering system from Supertech PSF with Honda PSF. You don't need to buy it from Honda dealer, only need to buy PSF spec for Honda at WM or any auto parts store.

And BMW,Mercedes,Volvo,Audi,VW,Jaguar....also use special fluid.A lot of times its "Petosin" fluid.Very expensive.If you want simple,stick to GM/Ford/Chrysler.Normally those just use ATF/Type F/PSF.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
a) Do Hondas/Acuras really need a different PS fluid than other makes?

Yes. Use only genuine Honda fluid.

b) What is the difference in these fluids vs the regular type suitable for all other makes?

Honda systems have seals that will be damaged by the use of non-Honda fluids.

c) Do I need to purge my system of the Supertech fluid I just put in my car and use some Honda/Acura specific type of fluid?

Yes. Do it right away before the incorrect fluid has a chance to damage your seals. It would be best to go to the dealer and let them do it. They have a system that will allow a more complete change of fluid that you can do in your driveway.

OK, rarely do I read such unanimous comments on this board. I'll get the Honda PS fluid tomorrow and reflush it myself tomorrow evening. Sorry, but not going to the dealer for this. I don't have a couple hundred to throw away on a car that cost 2k to begin with.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
And BMW,Mercedes,Volvo,Audi,VW,Jaguar....also use special fluid.A lot of times its "Petosin" fluid.Very expensive.If you want simple,stick to GM/Ford/Chrysler.Normally those just use ATF/Type F/PSF.

My MB E430 specs DIII for power steering, I use Maxlife PSF in it for more than 4 years now. It was noisy before I changed to Maxlife PSF, since then it's quiet.

My older Volvo spec'ed Dexron-III for ATF. Pentosin is just a brand name, and a similar product may be found for less money. You do need the spec, however.

I've used Bardahl Honda Power Steering fluid in an 01 Civic for many years even using the turkey baster method, not one issue at 170k. A few months ago did similar with Prestone Power Steering for Honda/Acura on the same vehicle because Bardahl is no longer readily available. Still steering fine.

While I wouldn't use an aftermarket PS fluid that didn't say specifically for Honda/Acura, obviously I have no problem using Bardahl and now Prestone.

IMO, Prestone PSF for Honda/Acura will work just fine.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
A few months ago did similar with Prestone Power Steering for Honda/Acura on the same vehicle because Bardahl is no longer readily available.

Oddly enough, the Bardahl stuff is still all over the place at our WMs. I don't know much about Bardahl these days, but back in the day, they were highly respected for their Japanese motorcycle specific fluids.

Sorry, but not going to the dealer for this. I don't have a couple hundred to throw away on a car that cost 2k to begin with.

Then you'd better get ready for the inevitable leaks from the pump and the rack. If you don't mind topping up the reservoir regularly, then your driveway-flush is acceptable.

Some Hondas do, and some really don't.
Which ones? That's the big question, so use Honda fluid!
Racks would wear and leak at the seals.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Sorry, but not going to the dealer for this. I don't have a couple hundred to throw away on a car that cost 2k to begin with.

Then you'd better get ready for the inevitable leaks from the pump and the rack. If you don't mind topping up the reservoir regularly, then your driveway-flush is acceptable.

what exactly does a machine fluid exchange do that a driveway flush won't do? I may be missing something obvious here, but doesn't having new fluid circulate throughout the system clear the old fluid as well as any other method? Does the machine use arthroscopic scrub brushes or something?

Originally Posted By: JOD
what exactly does a machine fluid exchange do that a driveway flush won't do? I may be missing something obvious here, but doesn't having new fluid circulate throughout the system clear the old fluid as well as any other method? Does the machine use arthroscopic scrub brushes or something?

A "driveway flush" leaves a considerable amount of old fluid behind.

The dealer systems I've seen use a feed line and a suction line (the flush is done with the engine running). The feed line keeps the reservoir fed with fresh fluid, while the suction line diverts the return fluid into a catch container so it doesn't recirculate back into the system. The longer they run it, the more complete the fluid replacement is going to be.

Originally Posted By: Tegger

A "driveway flush" leaves a considerable amount of old fluid behind.

The dealer systems I've seen use a feed line and a suction line (the flush is done with the engine running). The feed line keeps the reservoir fed with fresh fluid, while the suction line diverts the return fluid into a catch container so it doesn't recirculate back into the system. The longer they run it, the more complete the fluid replacement is going to be.

I apologize for being dense, but I'm still having a hard time understanding. A driveway flush typically disconnects the return line into a bucket, then you keep adding new fluid in the reservoir. So, how is that any different than the machine flush (expect for the fact that you're using the PS pump to push the fluid vs. the vacuum to pull it out)? I don't see how the driveway flush is recirculating old fluid?

This is the PS flush method I followed, taken from the 1994 Honda Accord Service Manual (94-97 were same generation). I plan to follow the same method again once I get the Honda PS fluid from the dealer. Maybe 2-5% of the Supertech stuff will remain behind, but that's fine with me.

DkLUG.gif

The Honda instructions look good, though I wouldn't turn in more than one quick turn without refilling the reservoir (or, better yet, have someone add fluid while you're draining the old fluid). This will prevent a bunch of air getting into the system. Honda seem better than most at quickly getting air out of the PS system (this would take months on my Ford). Still, there's no reason to run the system completely dry.

Using this method I feel pretty confident you'll get out nearly all of the fluid except a trace amount. On a CRV, it took less than 3 qt. to do the entire thing.

I use a large medical syringe and do 4 drain / refills of the reservoir.

Any company can buy a bottle of Honda PS fluid and reverse engineer it...
its not rocket science.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back