Rotella "T" JASO/MA Certified

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sunruh
no no no.

you NEED the $10qt oil.

it has a picture of a motorcycle on the label.

grin2.gif

What are you talking about? My bottle of Rotella has a motorcycle on it!

Rotella_Jug.jpg

So it *must* be good oil!

banana2.gif

TusconDon - I'll go ya one better. I'm going to try the 10w-30 CJ-4 Rotella in my GL1800. Yeah, I'm a big fan of the RTS, but the price is getting a bit salty. I just picked up 5 gallons of the 10w-30 for $8.98/gal (same price as 15w-40).

We'll see how it does in a UOA. I'll post after I run some of it. I think that the 10w-30 HDEO's are the sleeper products that few people, if any, put much creedence in.

I'm willing to be the guinea pig.

Last edited:
don,
good thing i was done with my OJ or it would have shot out my nose!!!

man, that is classic!!!

it's more spendy, but don't you dare go and try Valvoline VR1 20w50. you really won't like the soft as butter shifting it gives.

ring ring, hello broker, yes, i need some ASH please. yeah, just use the divs from XOM, BP, COP, RDS.A to purchase it. thanks.
grin2.gif

no no no.

you NEED the $10qt oil.

grin2.gif

You need $10.00qt oil because motorcycle shops "say" you need it!!! they know best!!!!!

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
no no no.

you NEED the $10qt oil.

grin2.gif

You need $10.00qt oil because motorcycle shops "say" you need it!!! they know best!!!!!

My Harley owners manual says CF-4, CG-4, CH-4, CI-4 when not using HD oil. No mention of JASO. Preferred viscosity is 20w50, 15w40 and 10w40 for temps under 40f

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: daves66nova
no no no.

you NEED the $10qt oil.

grin2.gif

My Harley owners manual says CF-4, CG-4, CH-4, CI-4 when not using HD oil. No mention of JASO. Preferred viscosity is 20w50, 15w40 and 10w40 for temps under 40f

That is because JASO is a Japanese standard organization and Harley is an American bike. Your Harley also has a separate tranny oil so the engine oil doesn't need to lube the tranny if I am not mistaken.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
Your Harley also has a separate tranny oil so the engine oil doesn't need to lube the tranny if I am not mistaken.

That may be the key indicator right there. My understanding of the origins of the JASO standards was that they came about mostly because of concerns about shared sumps and clutch slippage due to friction modifiers in automobile oil. The standard then morphed into something a bit more expansive, including indicators of the oil's "quality."

Harley doesn't have a shared sump design, hence far less of a need to worry about what worried the Japanese manufacturers.

If you're interested in exactly what makes up the JASO standard, you can go to the following URL (see tables 3 and 4):

http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV0604.pdf

The key point is that JASO standards really aren't that strict. The only reason an oil like Rotella failed to me it before was the ash and perhaps the phosphorus level. But it met it in every other way. With the advent of CJ-4, the ash was reduced and presto! it's a JASO-compliant oil.

The final test Shell had to run was the friction test ... they'd not run that before because they knew the ash level made meeting JASO impossible. CJ-4's reduced ash level put the oil back in the ballpark. They tested for compliant friction (the wet clutch concern) and Rotella met the standard.

Two things First your responding to a 4 year old post, and second who's site are you posting a link to? Anyone could create a website and post "facts". No one claims ownership or credentials.,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back