Synthetic Oil Extended OCI's are Foolish

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not read the whole artical, but I think for some engines extended drains are not a good idea. I'm no expert, but if folks are going to run extended drains they need to check the dipstick to make sure the oil level is good. Some folks don't do this. Next make sure you are not loosing coolant. Alsot of folks fail to do this also.Last, I think some engines have alot of fuel going into the oil like DI engines. I think extened oci can work, but not for all.

Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
Is this car expert saying extended OCI's (10k miles) with synthetic oil is foolish? I think he might be...what do you think?

http://www.schleeter.com/oil-sludge.htm

This "expert" is definitely trying to generate profits for his business- a 3,000 mile OCI using synthetic is simply a waste of money and resources in most every situation. My UOAs show that M1 5W-30 is good for a minimum of 7500 miles in my Mazdaspeed 3.

My UOAs have proven that a 6K OCI is the limit and best OCI on full synthetic. I'd be spending 2X as much at 3K OCI.

At 40k, I've been doing 10k intervals with 0w-20 for the last 20,000 miles.

I will say though, that subjectively, my engine is a bit noisier now than it was new.

Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
Is this car expert saying extended OCI's (10k miles) with synthetic oil is foolish? I think he might be...what do you think?

http://www.schleeter.com/oil-sludge.htm

Many of the cars on his list (Audi, Volvo, SAAB, VW) developed sludge due to manufacturer/dealer not using the correct oil. Often times, bulk mineral oil was used while following extended OCIs.

And the infamous BMW oil sludge picture that's on his page - I don't think anyone has actually been able to confirm the true circumstances surrounding it, ie. what oil was used and for how long.

I do not agree with his blanket statement to change oil every 3K miles, regardless of situation and oil used. He sounds worse than Jiffy Lube.

As I have said, if the oci for the most part highway, rual, and hardly any stop and go you do not even need syn. But if you are in a condition opposite, if you are leasing a car go for it, if you own a car cut back no matter what you read here. IMHO

I wish I had the testicular fortitude to go past 5k in my Grand Am. They fixed the LIM sometime around 03-04 but I don't trust it.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
As I have said, if the oci for the most part highway, rual, and hardly any stop and go you do not even need syn. But if you are in a condition opposite, if you are leasing a car go for it, if you own a car cut back no matter what you read here. IMHO

My Fit seemed fine (outwardly, at least) running 12-14k mile intervals on dino. I drive pretty much 99% steady state highway.

I listen to a podcast from a couple of good ol' boy mechanics down in Baton Rouge that seem to have a pretty encyclopedic car knowledge. They are very anti-extended drains. Perhaps their logic is flawed (dirty oil circulating longer in the crankcase) but do they point out that so many people doing extended drains are unaware of their driving qualifying as "severe." They mention that they've never seen as many oil-related failures as they do now. Anecdotal, I know, but at least it's good to hear their reasoning...

28.gif

It depends on the car. The 2 cars I maintain are fine with synthetic on long OCI's. Not every car will be, though.

Forgot one other thing: In this 7 year old article as many others do, in synthetics say how much better the additive packages are. Well many of the new SN syn. oils really have cut back alot. So where is the advantage of let's say PYB and a watered down syn?? Just asking.

That picture of the BMW I6 he used was lifted from the BMW forum or this site. If I remember correctly that was 60k miles on the oil...

He's saying synthetics hold up better than conventional oils, which is true. The average person doesn't know what severe service is, yet they would be classified that way by the OEM. OLMs have pretty much taken the guessing game out of oil change intervals. But some OEMs did recommend 3k under severe service, from 2007 it is 5k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back