Proper oil level

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just did an oil change on my Ninja 250 a few days ago and I over filled it. Anyway what Im wondering is what is the correct way to use the oil sight glass? While the engine is running or cold do you want to have a proper level of oil? I went based off a youtube video I watched that he filled the bike till it was about half way, started it and then filled it more based on that. Well aparently that wasnt correct since I over filled mine. Tips please!

If you have a centerstand(?) It should be checked on the centerstand after draining down for a few minutes after shutdown. When I rode Suzuki's I never had issues with oil level. If no centerstand, have a friend sit on it while you check the level. My sightglasses were always clearly marked.

With the bike level fill until the oil is in between the marks on the sight glass or in the middle if there is none.
Start the engine to fill the filter and check for leaks, run it a min or two then turn the engine off.

With the machine still level let it sit minimum 10 min then add oil if needed to the proper level in the sight window.
Don't top off too soon, it takes a while for the oil to drain back into the pan.
Most sight windows use about 3/4 up the glass as the proper level, check the book.

Originally Posted By: Hermann
If you have a centerstand(?) It should be checked on the centerstand after draining down for a few minutes after shutdown. When I rode Suzuki's I never had issues with oil level. If no centerstand, have a friend sit on it while you check the level. My sightglasses were always clearly marked.

Actually, on the Ninja 250, you do not want to check it on the center stand, as the oil level will read slightly lower than it really is (if you do use the center stand, stop at the bottom of the sight glass).

Start after an oil change for a bit to let the filter get oil. Shut down, wait a few minutes, then either (i) pull the bike upright while looking at the sight glass, and fill with oil until the upper line, or (ii) use the center stand and fill to a little below the middle.

Here, this does a better job than I:

Ninja250.org: How do I check my oil?

Last edited:
The manual clearly says to check the oil level with the engine off and with the bike being straight.

On my CBR600RR, i like to keep the oil level near the very FULL mark. Check it in the morning by kneeling down near the sight glass and hold the bike in the straight position.

Clearly the moron in the youtube video is a complete imbecile
33.gif
Only certain auto transmissions call to have the oil level checked when the car is running. All other cars call to have the fluids levels checked when the car is off and the oil had plenty of time to drain back into the pan to insure an accurate reading and prevent overfill.

Good luck to you

Change oil and filter. Fill oil to top mark on sight glass. Start engine, idle for a couple of minutes while checking for a leak at oil filter mating surface. Turn off. Wait at least 10 minutes, then check oil level with bike level. Fill to half way between marks next to sight glass. Go ride.

OK, this is what you need to know, after you have drained the oil and replaced the oil filter you put around 1.75 (ish) quarts of oil in the bike (dont even worry about the sight window). So start the bike and let it run for a few seconds, I like around 10-20 seconds.. this allows the oil filter to fill with oil.. Kill the engine and wait, give it a solid 10 minutes to drain back into the pan, NOW look at the sight window and add to the second (HIGHEST) line.. when your done you should still have a buble in the sight glass when its standing straight up and down level. your 2012 Ninja does not have a center stand so purchasing a rear stand is wise.

To avaoid confusion when you set the bike back on its kickstand after having held it straight up and down to add oil, the oil level in the window will not be the same. obviously due to the bike being tilted over to one side..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back