5w40 or 15w40 for 6.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.

wjm

Any real benifit to running 5w40 for increase life of injectors? Just bought the truck have no idea what the guy used before me and it has 205k on it. I just hear guys saying 5w40 makes the truck run so much better but ford recomends 15w40 don't really have that cold of climates and garage kept. Any thoughts

Scan down through the HDEO forum. There are a few discussions on the effects of different oils on the 6.0L Powerstroke.

This is the very question I was looking to ask ... According to the Oil 101, these oil weights are the same, in fact I would say that the 5w/40 would be better due to start up viscocity, correct?

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
10w-30

thumbsup2.gif
Several of us have great results on 10w30. 30 weights stay in grade better in the 6.0

I read the Oil Weights thread and the 10w/30-30 grade is highly recommended, however, it is alot thinner and has smaller Scar results ... I am going to change the oil in a 2005 GMC 6.6 turbo diesel. This truck has over 100 kmiles using 15w/40. Should I change to the 5w/40 first and check oil analysis, then try 10w/30-30??

Originally Posted By: Optimus1
I read the Oil Weights thread and the 10w/30-30 grade is highly recommended, however, it is alot thinner and has smaller Scar results ... I am going to change the oil in a 2005 GMC 6.6 turbo diesel. This truck has over 100 kmiles using 15w/40. Should I change to the 5w/40 first and check oil analysis, then try 10w/30-30??

I'm running Delo 10w30 in my 2007 LBZ Dmax and I tow 10k pounds through Idaho mountains with zero issues. The Dmax is very easy on oil and any grade works well.

Originally Posted By: wjm
Any real benifit to running 5w40 for increase life of injectors? Just bought the truck have no idea what the guy used before me and it has 205k on it. I just hear guys saying 5w40 makes the truck run so much better but ford recomends 15w40 don't really have that cold of climates and garage kept. Any thoughts

Any 5w-40 product you get is going to be a syn.

Do you "need' a syn? I'm not asking if you want one, I'm asking if you NEED one.

Syns do a great job in extended OCIs and super-uber cold starts. If you're not in either of those situations, then syns are a waste.

The 6.0L PSD has done very well with the 10w-30 HDEOs. Many UOAs here show that. PSD HEUI will shear oils, but the 30 grades shear much less, if at all, when contrasted to the 40 grades.

Don't get caught up in the hype and rhetoric; read through some of the excellent data available and make up your own mind.

i think ill stick to the idea of 15w40. Kinda old school with diesels for working for deere and seeing inside motors with 10,000 plus hrs. but i know the new motros are more eficient with thiner oils so its really down to owner pref. No matter what i use i'm gonna stick to 5,000 miles or maybe 150 hrs like we do with the tractors sometimes 200 i don't know if thats a bettrway to go then miles or what ? anybody else go by hrs on motor for change interval?

I had one of the very early 6.0's (an '04 with a late '03 engine), when I got rid of it I don't remember it having a single original injector left. On cold winter starts, 10w30 redline syn did OK, but the engine still ran rough for a minute or two-15w40 was out of the question. A few years back we had a record cold snap, -14f and that wasn't wind chill (i had frost inside the windows even after two hours of highway driving with the heat going full blast). The truck barely loped to life, and nearly stalled two or three times in the first five minutes of driving. I was parked away from home and had no place to plug in the block heater. I was driving from U of I champaign to NW Indiana, and got as far as I74 before things smoothed out. 5w40 in just about any flavor/brand solved the issue. I went one better and solved the problem with a cummins, but that's a story for another thread.

Originally Posted By: turbodieselfreak
I went one better and solved the problem with a cummins, but that's a story for another thread.

I like a story with a happy ending.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: turbodieselfreak
I went one better and solved the problem with a cummins, but that's a story for another thread.

I like a story with a happy ending.
smile.gif

In more ways than one-I was "visiting" a coed.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back