What is this thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was out driving around today and ran it through the gears a few times. It sounds really good, perhaps louder. Plenty of power.

Yeah, on that diesel you probably needed noise reduction.

Well fuel mileage did not suffer. On 250 miles I got 23.6 mpg which is 0.6 better than the last time I filled up. Not a significant difference, but shows the removal of the resonator did not hurt mileage. Yeah, I think it may have a bigger growl when you rev it out. Anyway, the resonator is not going back on.

Also, I plan in the near future to remove the two funky resonators from the Mountaineer.

I think that because I only had the truck a few weeks before I took off the resonator I could not tell the difference, and then again it may not be as big a difference in winter. But I have been bugged by poor low end power, and even mid range power was not that good. When I put the box back on, the truck drove much better, takes off swifter without the bog, but for an instant at low rpm. Without the resonator it seemed to not go until mid 3000s+, now it is good off the line.

It definitely got quieter with the resonator back on.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
My next performance move on the Ranger would be to improve cold air intake by wrapping all that black intake tubing with metallic reflective wrap to ward off heat. This is not urgent since I am entering winter season.

As for the resonator removal, the computer should eventually catch up, but would it be worth disconnecting the neg battery terminal for 15 minutes to get on with it?

Resonators are almost always for sound attenuation.
Wrapping the intake may help, but mostly in slow driving or hot soak conditions.
When driving, both the underhood air and the intake air are purged rapidly.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Good Article on Intake Resonators

By the way, I put it back on and drove about 35 miles today. It feels more powerful in the low and mid range, and I can take off much better.

Based on the article from the link you posted, it looks like it's probably helping deal with the pressure wave when the intake is closed.

While engineers aren't infallible, this looks like another case of them knowing better than us...(like with the 20 weight oils...
eek.gif
)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back