Fix Honda Plastic Dipsticks So You Can Read It

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a '10 Honda Civic with the orange plastic dipstick that's very difficult to read. I wrapped a piece of medium sandpaper around a flat sanding block and carefully sanded one side of the end of the dipstick until the dimples were removed and I had a small flat surface. Then thoroughly wipe off all sanding chips.

Welcome and thanks for the idea. I have the same year Civic and I really have to say I think it is awful. At 24k miles there is coolant getting into the oil and aluminum is way high. I am getting rid of it ASAP. How do you like yours?lol

My '11 is a lease so I don't check the oil or care if coolant is getting in either. But that dipstick is a joke. I just dump in 4 qts when I change it and forget about it.

Wow..Honda has really gone down hill in quality.
The Civic used to be the yardstick that other small cars tried to measure up to...

PS: I don't know why but dipsticks are getting harder to read....

I have 09 no problem at 40k. What about warranty 5 yr 60k seems you are entitled to a fix. There is something about Civics juat seems to be put together by someone who has a brain. Just me..

I'm not following what the problem was, or what was done by the OP. Pics please..

The dipstick on my '01 is just a flat piece of metal where you with two dots, where the level is read.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
I'm not following what the problem was, or what was done by the OP. Pics please..

pointless, it doesn't pertain to you.

Yeah it is a shame that Honda seemed to lose its way. The new Accord might give me some hope that they are back. It is supposed to shrink a little bit and I think they realized they abandoned the Honda loyalists with that last bloated design. Also curious to see what they do to fix the Civic.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple

Seems kind of harsh.

The 06+ Civics have a bright orange plastic dipstick and it's a pain to read when the oil is clean (and nearly clear). Sounds like he sanded it down somehow so the oil is more visible on the surface of the plastic.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple

I think member dwcopple's response is the one that's pointless.

I'm also interested in pictures to see exactly what the OP did.

goodness sakes...here
IMG_20120811_130537.jpg

He must have sanded off this grid
IMG_20120811_130544.jpg

I have a 07 Civic with the dipstick shown. Never a problem. Don't see how sanding it will make a difference. With clean oil, you have to get the right light and angle of viewing regardless of the dipstick design.

Hey, it's a dipstick - so they saved a few ounces and a few pennies. It works fine and it's highly visible so the non-BITOGERS can find it. What's the big deal?

Let's stay on subject and not morph into a general discussion of Honda quality - start your own thread if needed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pbm
Wow..Honda has really gone down hill in quality.
The Civic used to be the yardstick that other small cars tried to measure up to...

PS: I don't know why but dipsticks are getting harder to read....

It's three cents cheaper than making it EASY to read!

Originally Posted By: user52165
I have a 07 Civic with the dipstick shown. Never a problem. Don't see how sanding it will make a difference. With clean oil, you have to get the right light and angle of viewing regardless of the dipstick design.

Hey, it's a dipstick - so they saved a few ounces and a few pennies. It works fine and it's highly visible so the non-BITOGERS can find it. What's the big deal?

Let's stay on subject and not morph into a general discussion of Honda quality - start your own thread if needed.

Exactly. I really don't see how it's any harder to read. Look for the wet area...
crazy.gif

Looks just like a Lokar dipstick I've used plenty of times.

My mom has a 2010 Civic. I always worry about the plastic dipstick breaking off in there. I don't have any problems reading it though.

My dad leased a 2012 Civic and that car really feels cheap. The head liner feels like cardboard.

SAABs used to have a wire dipstick with a plastic end on it. To top it off, the plastic was BLACK! Sanding was a common fix to make those legible as well. Enjoying the heck out of my Hondas, BTW. Biggest issue I have is keeping brakes on the Odyssey.

The hardest dipstick I've used was in the Cadillac Northstar. It had a plastic end on a metal stick (cable type if I recall correctly) and the plastic end was BROWN. Really? Brown. For an oil dipstick.

Both of our Hondas have shiny metal dipsticks (or dipstick end, as is the case in our V-6). Both are very easy to read.

My grandfathers 2000 Quest has the wire+Plastic end dipstick, but the plastic end is a whitish color, so it is somewhat easy to read. my 2003 sable has a metal dipstick though, so i am happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back