Gorilla Juice Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm still in long search for the perfect fluid for my G-56 transmission and I've heard of people using this Gorilla Juice that has been formulated just for the G-56 in our dodges. The most info I can find on it is that it's close or a 80w140. Does anyone know the technical specs for this stuff like the Viscosity index, Viscosity cSt @ 40c and 100c and other info like that. At $18 a quart it seems like they should provide some of these specs for you.

Thanks

heres a link to the stuff:

http://lazarsmith.com/Transmission.html

Good luck in your search, there is no perfect anything. Just looking at their site leaves me wondering.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Good luck in your search, there is no perfect anything. Just looking at their site leaves me wondering.

I also found this: "Hey Miles, Internet warriors may not be aware that each type of lubricant is referenced to a different viscosity index - that's why Gorilla Juice pours like 30W engine oil - or that Gorilla Juice is used as far north as Whitehorse, Canada (which isn't too far from the Artic Circle) without issue. Gorilla Juice is the best lube for any type of tooth-tooth contact, including transfer cases & differentials (Top Fuel's been using it to prolong ring & pinion life for years)

I would love to know more about this

Their fabricated stuff looks pretty nice, though...some quality workmanship in the coolers and cover plates...but I wouldn't pay $18/QT for some stuff they put in their own bottle...

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Shockproof light rebottled.

Dang redline doesnt have the specs posted either..boo

I've come to the conclusion that Dodge took the cheap route with my transmission and used ATF vs a true gear oil. The Mercedes built transmission calls for a 75w90 NOT ATF so I'm looking into several produts that will fit my needs. I live in Spokane and gets cold here in the winter and dont want to have to much trouble shifting. I run AMSOIL Syncromesh 5w30 in my Mini and its hard to get in gear in the winter. So I'm really digging into finding my "magic" fluid.

Mobilfluid 424 would be my first try, it's an 80W, GL4, proper gear oil, while still being a hydraulic fluid.

Even though the word "all" only has three letters, it is a fairly large word. I was trying to understand the list of properties that you want AND that Redline did not provide. I don't know where to get ALL properties for anything. We can't help provide the info that you want if you can't tell us what you want.

You stated that Redline "doesn't have the specs posted either." Since they do post specs, what's missing that you want?

Here's a list
smile.gif
yea I'm that picky [censored] my ocd

SAE Grade
Specific Gravity 60F/15C
Viscosity at 40C Cst (ASTM D-445)
Viscosity at 100C Cst (ASTM D-445)
Brookfield Viscosity (ASTM D-2983)
@ -40F/-40C, cP
Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270)
Flash Point F/C (ASTM D-92)*
Fire Point F/C (ASTM D-92)*
Pour Point F/C (ASTM D-97) -
Copper Strip Test, 3hrs. (ASTM D-130)
Rust Test (ASTM D-665)
Procedure A (Distilled Water) Pass
Procedure B (Salt Water) Pass
Four Ball EP Test (ASTM D-2783)
Weld Point, kg. 315
Load Wear Index, kg. 55
Four Ball Wear Test (ASTM D-4172)
Scar Diameter
Timken EP Test (ASTM D-2782)
OK load, lbs.
Failure Load, lbs.
F Z G (Four Sequence Gear Test (ASTM D-5182, A/8.3/90)
Falex Continuous Load (ASTM D-3233)
Failure Load
Oxidation Test (ASTM D-2893)
% Viscosity Increase after 312 hrs. at 95C
Demulsibility Test (ASTM D-2711)
Total Free Water, ml 81
% Water in Oil 1
Emulsion, ml Trace
Foam Tendency (ASTM D-892)
Sequence I 75F, ml 0/0
Sequence II 200F, ml 10/0
Sequence III 75F, ml 0/0
L-60-1 Thermal Oxidation Test (ASTM D-5704)
% Viscosity Increase

blacklamb: You have simply pasted in Schaeffer's Technical data list from their gear oil. Many of those specs are actually available from the Redline site. Other tests on the list are simply pass/fail. I have concluded that 1) you don't have any specific specs that concern you and 2)you knocked a manufacturer without any real attempt to determine what data they make available.

The absence of due diligence on your part and the use of the someone else's list in your own name implies that OCD is not a proper description of your situation.

GMorg: Yes your right I got a Schaeffer's list. My lack of diligence was more like a last ditch effort as I worked a 22 hours shift and I wanted to go to bed. I'm also new to attempting to understand this oil stuff so I like to see everything plain and simple laid out in front of me so I can make a determination of what I think I want in my truck or car. I hate pass/fail tests at that doesn't tell me squat at least in my book. What I try to do is take a test "they" perform and read about it, normally I find myself lost somewhere in the translation of it. I don't know how I knocked a manufacturer but if I didn't intend to do so. So far this Shockproof stuff sounds like something I want to use, I just want to know more about it. Thats the main reason I joined the site so I can make an attempt to understand this stuff.

Quote:
Formulated for use in Top Fuel ring & pinions, this GL-6 spec lube is the most effective gear oil available
for extreme pressure tooth-on-tooth contact in helical gearsets.

If you want to see all of their ASTM tests why not contact the manf. and get it from them?

This stuff is for differentials, not for manual transmissions, and there is no active GL-6 spec. I have never seen a 80W140 gear oil speced for any vehicle manual transmission. The viscosity is too high, and it would not contain the correct level of additives for an MT.

Here is some reading material for you:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2701321#Post2701321

Quote:
...and I've heard of people using this Gorilla Juice that has been formulated just for the G-56 in our dodges.

Well, I think you heard wrong. Where is there any mention this diffy lube being formulated just for or for covering Dodge Manual transmissions?

Quote:
Hey Miles, Internet warriors may not be aware that each type of lubricant is referenced to a different viscosity index - that's why Gorilla Juice pours like 30W engine oil - or that Gorilla Juice is used as far north as Whitehorse, Canada (which isn't too far from the Artic Circle) without issue. Gorilla Juice is the best lube for any type of tooth-tooth contact, including transfer cases & differentials (Top Fuel's been using it to prolong ring & pinion life for years)

This makes no sense as to what the correct fluid should be for a specific application.

Just Internet noise in my opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back