Chrysler changes the oil spec for 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
My sons 2011 Wrangler calls for 5-20, or at least that's what the oil cap says.

His 2011 Wrangler has the 3.8L engine, which was used for years prior to the 3.6 Pentastar engine which went into the Wrangler in 2012.

What I find odd is why didn't they use 5W20 when they first introduced the Pentastar engine, instead of 5W30? Didn't they test this engine after it was designed? It could have just as easily been tested with 5W20, especially if they knew they were headed in that direction. I think the only difference in the engine is the new head, which came about as a fix for a problem.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: modularv8
Quote:
Come on now. That's a 100% falsehood.
Are you saying the engines running around the last 20yrs and longer with a million plus miles on them running on 10w30 are not durable.

No. What I said was that engines designed and built for low viscosity lubricants have reinforced features and better technology that do extend the life of an engine. For instance, unlike the trimetal bearings of the past, low friction engines use AlPbSi bearings. These are a "harder" material that minimizes "flexing" and distribute bearing load/peak oil film pressure much more evenly. The alloy is also much more resistant to bearing seizure. The durability of this type of alloy is regarded by Mahle, Clevite, and others in the bearing industry to be long-lasting and capable of achieving 300k with minimal wear. Low friction engines also employ low-tension piston rings that minimize friction compared to older designs. Low viscosity lubricants work well with low-tension rings to bias the lubrication regime more toward hydrodynamic verses mixed/boundary. Film thickness is the primary factor for wear at the piston ring pack. Low viscosity lubricants provide a greater film thickness vs higher viscosity lubricants. As a consequence of the higher flow characteristics of lower viscosity lubricants there is lower cold-startup & operating wear because of lower ring tension.

Engines designed and built for lower viscosity oils are more durable than yesterday's engines because they are just better made, tighter manufacturing tolerances, better metallurgy, better bearings, etc. Is this technology and new hardware applicable to engines spec'd with higher viscosity oils? Yes. Will running a heavier weight oil in an engine designed for a 20wt lead to lower wear? No. Could it increase wear? Yes. Why? Because OEMs design their engines for oil flow characteristics for an operating range of 80C to 100C. This is where it is expected an engine will operate for the majority of its life. It is also the temperature range where lubricants provide their best protection and efficiency. So now you have the steady-state wear rate that is dependent mainly on film thickness (steady state is mainly hydrodynamic). When we talk about wear and engine durability, the primary component suject to the most wear and arguably the limiting factor for durability is the piston ring pack. Engineers design these for a flow rate to the ring lands to attain a target film thickness based on engine rpm (piston velocity/shear) and steady-state operating temperature. If piston/cylinder lubrication is "flooded" then there is increasee oil consumption. If it is "starved", then mix/boundary condition (increased wear rate). All oil channels are metered for an expected volume. Going too high a viscosity of oil in an engine designed for 20 wt will shorten engine life. How much more wear, I don't know. One thing is absolutely certain and well known by industry experts, nothing increases the wear rate of an engine (under normal operating conditions) than operating above 2500 rpm.

Every SAE published industry study on the subject of engine wear rates involve studying the effect of load and engine rpm on wear rate. In every instance, rpm below 2000 and full load (WOT) and oil sump temperatures as high as 130C did not change the wear rate. Above 2500 rpm for any viscosity oil, at ideal operating sump temperature, always increased the wear rate. It is increased anywhere from 2x up to 10x depending on rpm. This is because of increased shear rate. Main and rod bearings are far more tolerant than piston rings. Piston velocity, piston/cylinder temperature, and combustion chamber pressures increase dramatically when essentially racing an engine. Fortunately, everyday engines don't live at high rpms. Every engine has a finite life.

Quote:
Then why do they still spec 5w30 and even 5w50 in some of their most modern engines.

Ford has incorporated engine hardware technologies that are optimal for low viscosity lubricants. An OEM specs a viscosity on the design expectations (operating conditions) of their engines. Everyday passenger engines are capable of operating an HTHS as low as 2.2 cP below 120C (248F)at full load (6000rpm/WOT) without any increase in wear rate for all engine components. HTHS 2.6 cP becomes the lower limit when oil sump temperature reaches 130C (266F) and rpm is above 3000. Engines spec'd other than 5w-20 by Ford are expected to operate beyond the operating margin of safety the OEM feels comfortable with. 5w-30 & 5w-50 are spec'd where there is a concern for fuel dilution (EcoBoost) or power output/high rpm is expected (Supercharging, Mustang/SHO).

Quote:
Only under certain conditions. the most common oils sold in Germany have a HTHS os 3.5 or higher yet they have no problems with durability. They have had issues in their operating conditions with engines running lighter oils.

Yes, lubricants are optimal under certain conditions. But every study I have read show an increase in main bearing wear increasing HTHS beyond 2.8 cP. I can not provide these studies because of copyrights, but look at figures 2a and 2b of the following link,

Extending SAE J300 to Viscosity Grades below SAE 20

I have these papers, and these graphs were generated at 2500 rpm, 130C, full load in a 1984 GM 3.8L. Main bearing wear increases above and below HTHS 2.2 cP. I have seen in other papers where some engines designed for low viscosity lubricants can go as low as 1.8 cP with no bearing distress/wear. I agree the increase in wear above 2.2 cP is insignificant relative to going below it, but this was in an engine designed more than 30 years ago tested under not normal conditions.

There are reasons that European OEMs have traditionally preferred HTHS 3.5 cP, mainly out of design of their engines. This is changing and there is a move by OEMs in Europe to move in the same direction as the USA toward lower viscosity lubricants. Even motorcycles will be moving toward lower viscosity lubricants.

My previous work at SWRI (where OEM/lubricant industry testing and certificaton happens) and my current research position has provided access to vast industry databases of research, including the SAE database.

Very well said.

X2
01.gif

Quote:
But every study I have read show an increase in main bearing wear increasing HTHS beyond 2.8 cP. I can not provide these studies because of copyrights

Okay. I heard from Prof Dr (insert name, he is my first cousin) of BMW M engineering with my own ears over dinner that their studies done just a couple of years go showed 20w oil did not provide enough protection in their engines.
I wont throw his name out on an internet forum, he could answer himself if he sees fit.

Its true enough that engines may (many times not) use better materials than they did years ago but the use of aluminum bearings and reinforced blocks and bearing saddles in nothing new. Four bolt mains and forged cranks have been around for decades, forged cranks reduced flex and are much more durable than nodular iron.

All this nonsense about being better built is opinion but in the real world many new engines don't last as long as the old designs. Just look at the Ford 5.4 3v, that has to be one of the most troublesome engines i have ever owned. Piston slap, oil leaks from the head rotton exhaust manifold studs, plugs blowing out, timing chain tensioners all before 100K.

Don't tell me this is quality built, it was a miserable mix of poor materials, engineering and poor quality.
Quote:
Engines spec'd other than 5w-20 by Ford are expected to operate beyond the operating margin of safety the OEM feels comfortable with. 5w-30 & 5w-50 are spec'd where there is a concern for fuel dilution (EcoBoost) or power output/high rpm is expected (Supercharging, Mustang/SHO).

YES. That proves even Ford is not comfortable using 20w in engines that make serious HP (just like Chrysler) or operate under less than ideal conditions.
Quote:
Even motorcycles will be moving toward lower viscosity lubricants.

They tried that over a decade ago. I blew a brand new (but broken in) Honda Fireblade up after running it at 8-10,000 RPM for an extended period driving on the road with thin oil OEM oil.
Honda replaced the engine unit with a new unit and thicker oil, a few weeks later i got a letter as did every other buyer of this model to bring the thing in for a free oil change.
They then spec'd the thicker oil by TSB.
That engine ran for 12 years and over 150K on 10w60 with no oil related issues whatsoever.
Don't spin this stuff about thin oils in MC to me i have lived through it and know better. I don't care what papers you have read, it doesn't work..

The piston slap issue was almost unheard of until these new "better built" engines came to market and if an engine did exhibit slap it was seen as a defect not normal. BTW it is a sign of inferior manufacturing techniques. They are trying to take the human element out of fitting pistons which just cannot be done with a machine.
I call these new better built engines a failure in many ways and certainly not better.

IMO with all the problems with the bad left cyl head the last thing Chrysler should have done was change the oil spec. I doubt a 20 grade oil was going to do anything for the problem head. I'd be willing to bet the only change to that engine for 2013 was the head design. Maybe they won't back spec it because they'd spoke owners of vehicles with the 2010 and 2011 engines.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:
Very well said.

As long as it fits your agenda eh Caterham.

It sounds like you've had some really bad experiences based on what you've said. Everything you've posted sounds like opinion based on this past experience. It's okay if you don't want to believe that European OEMs and motorcycle manufacturers are moving toward lower viscosity oil, but you would be deluding yourself.

As mentioned, the 2012 calls for 5W30. I am sure the 5W20 will be fine (though I'd prefer to use 5W30 (and especially from May-November) in the 2012. The 2013 has the same engine so I doubt there will be any difference that calls for different oil. Still, I will continue with Chrysler-spec 5W30 for warranty purposes.

Originally Posted By: HK_Ace
As mentioned, the 2012 calls for 5W30. I am sure the 5W20 will be fine (though I'd prefer to use 5W30 (and especially from May-November) in the 2012. The 2013 has the same engine so I doubt there will be any difference that calls for different oil. Still, I will continue with Chrysler-spec 5W30 for warranty purposes.

I'd be more comfortable with 5W30 as well. I really don't think they've done enough testing of 20 grade oil in this engine. In fact with all the testing they claimed to have done to this engine why are they having problems with the left cylinder head? That should have been caught in the initial testing of the engine, and corrected.

Quote:
Everything you've posted sounds like opinion based on this past experience

Lets examine one all to common issue of these these so called better built engines. Piston slap is common and now because of warranty claims is being passed of as "normal". It is not a normal engine noise by any standard.
The Piston is either a poor design or a failed fit. That is neither a quality or improvement over older designs.

This is the result of cost savings by the manufacturers nothing more and nothing less.
They are looking at universal fits, if all bores are X and every piston is Y then every and any piston will fit.
In theory that true but it doesn't work very well.

I am in no way delusional. I accept the fact that time moves on and things change, i went from 15w40 to 5w30 when it was proven the oil would protect the engine.
20w oils are at this point not proven at all in long term use in many engines.
When MB, BMW, VW/Audi will warranty their engines with 20w when these engines are run in Germany at German speeds i will gladly change.

Until then i will continue to use a proven product.
As far as MC use goes, most share the oil with the gearbox so its not going to be an easy task.

Trav,
In some ways you are right about modern engines, such as piston slap, direct injection, sludger engines, etc. However for the most part, todays engine are vastly improved over engines I owned 40-50 years ago. I also used 20wt oils in the late 60s and 70s with very good results in engines calling for 40 wt oils. Now I did not drive those vehicles 90-110 MPH like you guys do in Euro. Not wise in my opinion and glad we don't do that here in the heartland.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I heard from Prof Dr (insert name, he is my first cousin) of BMW M engineering with my own ears over dinner that their studies done just a couple of years go showed 20w oil did not provide enough protection in their engines.
I wont throw his name out on an internet forum, he could answer himself if he sees fit.

Just got out of my Monday morning meeting and in speaking with Drs. (insert names, they are institue engineers) of our automotive research division, they both claim that OEMs recommend an oil grade based on engine operating design parameters and hardware. Both said, alot of engineering/research goes into drivetrain and lubricant specification to insure optimal operating conditions and durability. Deviating from the HTHS within the range of a recommeded grade puts the engine outside its design parameters for its expected normal operating temperature (165F - 212F/195F = ideal). So putting a 20wt into an engine like BMW designed for a much higher grade (HTHS specification) isn't going to work very well.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I disagree in certain cases.

For example, 5.7 Hemi is a 5w-20 motor. 6.1 hemi is a 0w-40 motor with a TSB for 50w as well!

Nearly the same motor in every respect. Newer 6.4 are even equipped with MDS, etc., and STILL spec 40w.

I believe if you carefully analyze clearances you'll see they haven't really substantively changed in the last decade, just the oils have.

Is that to deal with the "tick"?

Note that in the seven hemi vehicles I service or help care for we have never heard the infamous "hemi tick".

My 6.1 is quiet as a mouse until the oil gets super hot and then you can hear the oil squirters warble at idle.

Oils that are too thick or out of spec for an engine design/OEM recommendation can and do increase the wear rate, particularly the piston ring pack. From all the SAE papers on this subject, an HTHS of 2.6 cP to 2.8 cP is the ideal range for maximum fuel economy and engine durability. Nothing is ever compromised and there are added benefits to low viscosity lubricants.

Can you produce any literature to show increased wear over HTHS 2.8 please? I would like to learn something new (for a change).

Also, can you explain why Toyota allows up to 20W50 in Europe and Australia in their cars?

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I disagree in certain cases.

For example, 5.7 Hemi is a 5w-20 motor. 6.1 hemi is a 0w-40 motor with a TSB for 50w as well!

Nearly the same motor in every respect. Newer 6.4 are even equipped with MDS, etc., and STILL spec 40w.

I believe if you carefully analyze clearances you'll see they haven't really substantively changed in the last decade, just the oils have.

Is that to deal with the "tick"?

Note that in the seven hemi vehicles I service or help care for we have never heard the infamous "hemi tick".

My 6.1 is quiet as a mouse until the oil gets super hot and then you can hear the oil squirters warble at idle.

I think he was referring to the Pentastar tick?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
No, it was referring to the Hemi tick I think.

http://www.google.com/search?q=hemi+tick

^^^Yeah, now we have to hear about the Pstar tick!

How about we call it the Chrysler tick and we'll cover all bases? j/k

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Oils that are too thick or out of spec for an engine design/OEM recommendation can and do increase the wear rate, particularly the piston ring pack. From all the SAE papers on this subject, an HTHS of 2.6 cP to 2.8 cP is the ideal range for maximum fuel economy and engine durability. Nothing is ever compromised and there are added benefits to low viscosity lubricants.

Can you produce any literature to show increased wear over HTHS 2.8 please? I would like to learn something new (for a change).

Also, can you explain why Toyota allows up to 20W50 in Europe and Australia in their cars?

Thanks!

Below are a few references that show the ideal range that compromises engine wear, fuel economy, and efficiency. HTHS 2.6-2.8 is the ideal range. Higher HTHS than 2.8 does not allow for significantly less wear while the parasitic frictional losses are significantly higher. Lower HTHS oils with less additives will be developed with out compromising engine wear because of friction reducing coating are and will be used in manufacturing.

http://www.sveacon.se/lectures/tribology.pdf
http://performanceracingoils.com/PDF/Nanotechnology_in_gear_oils.pdf

The stigma of lower viscosity oils not being able to protect from wear is because of little to no VI's were used in 20 oil grade testing about 20 years ago. Once higher grade base oils became more common along with the implementation of VI's in PCMO this negated the need for higher HTHS to prevent wear. Also oil performance was best expressed as the frequency of excessive wear, rather than by quantitative wear measurement.
Further studies by Ford R&D in particular reasoned the minimum HTHS of 2.6 was enough before engine wear was accelerated.

This was discussed before with references as you requested.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1061666&page=1

With all the information discussed here and all the technical papers, studies, and ect. I have determined that unless there is a factor that would cause you to use your engine that would not let the oil cool off such as hours upon hours of red line, or a mechanical/design issue that would cause the oil to constantly have a HTHS less than 2.6 than I would use a higher than 20 grade to compensate. If the manufacture recommends 20 grade for you application there was more than enough testing done to justify the recommendation. If a 20 grade was not recommended there is a reason for not making that recommendation. This is the reason why I do not particularly care for what is recommended for use in other parts of the world. I do not know how a car is driven in a another part of the world and I do not know the chemical make up of a PCMO sold and readily available elsewhere some VOA's from other members in other countries outside of North America has shown that a PCMO can have a different make up and a different than predicted testing outcome.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2446740#Post2446740
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2677642#Post2677642
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2677653#Post2677653

Also different engineers with different backgrounds and objectives will make recommendation on their parameters. I do not know if BMW's philosophy is to make a recommendation that is to minimize engine wear at all cost even if it is to compromise engine efficiency even if this means recommending a higher grade of oil that does not offer significantly higher wear protection but allows for a higher safety margin. Some people just want redundancy with redundancy there is not wrong with that.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

Below are a few references

http://www.sveacon.se/lectures/tribology.pdf
http://performanceracingoils.com/PDF/Nanotechnology_in_gear_oils.pdf
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1061666&page=1
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2446740#Post2446740
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2677642#Post2677642
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2677653#Post2677653

I actually clicked on the links.
The #1 shows that wear DECREASES over HTHS 2.8 (page 10).
The #2 shows that wear DECREASES over HTHS 2.8 (figure 1).
The #3 "There were many instances of very high wear in cabs operated with the lowest viscosity oils but none in cabs with higher viscosity oils."
The #4 how is it relevant?
The #5 how is it relevant?
The #6 how is it relevant?

Anyone else wants to prove HTHS >2.8 = more wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back