2008 Honda Civic - Oil Type Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a service appointment schedule for next week and a jug of 5w-20 Castrol GTX Blend sitting in the garage. While driving home tonight I had my wife pull the manual to see what oil it officially recommended and it said to use a "premium" oil and recommended using the Honda brand oil.

My only question is what they mean, if anything, by the word premium. They don't mention synthetic anywhere. The OLM is at 5% currently with about 7,300 miles so using a synthetic wouldn't be unreasonable, but I don't think that it's required.

Any thoughts?

To help decide what oil change interval to run you should look inside the oil fill hole with a flashlight. If things look bright silver or slightly tinted it's ok to follow the OLM with your Castrol.

If not, reduce the interval by 2000 or 3000 miles for one year to clean the engine up.

I would just use whatever 5w20 you'd like, follow the OLM, and call it a day. I have been doing this with my '11 Civic and it has been working for me. I have used PYB, QS, PP, Syntec, M1, etc.

I have looked in the fill hole and she looks like new, spotless metal, no varnish at all.

Thanks. To restate my question. Any guesses on what is intended in the manual by using the term "premium" which really doesn't have any meaning when related to motor oil. Some cars require synthetics, but I've always seen it states just that way.

blackdiamond, the Castrol 5W-20 blend you have is fine. The "premium" language refers to the American Petroleum Institute (API) certification, and all of Castrol's products have that. Your 2008 Honda doesn't require synthetic motor oil, and of course you are not required to use Honda's house brand. (There's nothing wrong with it, either, btw -- jfi, it's a ConocoPhillips product and virtually identical to that sold by Ford under the Motorcraft label.)

I ran several Hondas on Castrol's GTX for years. Great product, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back