Honda DW-1... Who makes it??

I am curious who makes Honda DW-1. Is it made by a good brand and have a good add pack? Where is it made? Supplier?

It says Full Synthetic on the bottle. Is it at least a GRIII?

Just asking because it has a very low flash point from what I have read.

I think I am going with Valvoline after... Cheaper and higher Flash Point.

It's syn. Made by Idemitsu , has a very high VI. In my exp, shifts sloppy after it gets hot. Maxlife has been much better in both our trans.

Originally Posted By: bourne
It's syn. Made by Idemitsu , has a very high VI. In my exp, shifts sloppy after it gets hot. Maxlife has been much better in both our trans.

I used to be a Honda-ATF-or-nuthin kinda guy, but there are so many posts touting the greatness of Maxlife that I'm considering trying it. The only thing holding me back is that the trans shifts just fine. It had some barely perceptible shifting issues before I drained and filled twice with DW-1, but it now shifts well, even when it's hot.

Don't forget that Honda transmissions are designed differently than almost all other automatic units. They by nature shift a bit more crisply (which comes across as a bit harsh) to some drivers, however remember that the LESS slip you have in an automatic trans the less wear you have, so a smoother shift will result in more wear.

I bet that the Valvoline product will work OK, but Honda designed the OEM fluid around their unit design. I would stick with the OEM stuff if you want maximum life span and no issues for the long term.

If it works well for you, use it!

Maxlife shifted better, faster, and smoother in our Fit's transmission than Z-1. I haven't compared it to DW-1, nor will it get changed. Z-1 resulted in shuddering and some neck-snapping hard shifts by 18k miles. Shudder can't be good for an automatic.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Don't forget that Honda transmissions are designed differently than almost all other automatic units. They by nature shift a bit more crisply (which comes across as a bit harsh) to some drivers, however remember that the LESS slip you have in an automatic trans the less wear you have, so a smoother shift will result in more wear.

I bet that the Valvoline product will work OK, but Honda designed the OEM fluid around their unit design. I would stick with the OEM stuff if you want maximum life span and no issues for the long term.

Kind of at odds with the reputation Hondas AT units have.

I think the key to maximizing the life on any transmission is a good fluid with good heat tolerance. In my experience, OEM Honda fluid is NOT that fluid. I have experience with three different fluids in our Acura MDX, original Honda Z1, new Honda DW-1, and Valvoline MaxLife ATF. The DW-1, while buttery-smooth, induces some clutch slip during shifts that I don't like. You sometimes can't even feel the transmission operating, which I also don't like. Valvoline MaxLife ATF has a much more positive feel than the OEM fluid, and shifts are faster and with less sliding and gliding. The OEM fluid's behavior also changes dramatically after some miles on it, as noted by others above. It seems to get worn out quickly, and it shifts sloppy when it gets hot. It's generally just not a very good fluid in my opinion.

I normally recommend OEM fluids unless there's a good reason not to. In the case of Honda's OEM fluid, I personally think there's a good reason not to (recommend it). Many people say that Honda transmissions have a bad enough reputation already, why change the fluid? I look at it from the other direction, and suggest that the OEM fluid is a major contributing factor to the poor life in some of Honda's transmission models.

Although I don't have a lot of DW-1 in our CR-V's transmission right now, I've used it before and it seems to run better in its transmission than it does in our MDX's transmission. The two transmission models are very different, despite both being 5-speed automatics. The CR-V's transmission shifts pretty firm on MaxLife, and I've started using Castrol Transmax IMV in it.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

It may be important to recognize that DW-1 is NOT the OEM fluid for most Honda transmissions. Most Honda transmissions originally used Z1 fluid, which was a different fluid. DW-1 is back-spec'd to all Honda automatics, but users' experience with DW-1 in Z1 transmissions is hit-and-miss. My wife's parents have a 2011 CR-V, and DW-1 is the open fluid in that vehicle. That transmission shifts pretty well on that fluid (even after 20k miles). I believe that transmissions that were designed for DW-1 will probably do good on DW-1. But those transmissions that were designed for Z1 don't do as well on the new fluid. Based on how DW-1 operates in Z1 transmissions, I think DW-1 is a "slipperier" fluid than Z1, and as long as the transmission is tuned for that (as the current ones probably are), it's fine. But shifts can get pretty soft when installed in Z1 transmissions.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: bourne

I used to be a Honda-ATF-or-nuthin kinda guy, but there are so many posts touting the greatness of Maxlife that I'm considering trying it. The only thing holding me back is that the trans shifts just fine. It had some barely perceptible shifting issues before I drained and filled twice with DW-1, but it now shifts well, even when it's hot.

+1

I wasnt really happy with the O/D shift on our new Pilot with only 7500 miles on it especially since the VCM kicks off the 3 cylinders at the same time right at about 48-50mph, My drive to work every day consists of being on the same road which has a max speed of 45mph so the truck constantly shifts in and out of Overdrive with the flux in traffic speed. So I decided to dump a bottle of Lubegard Red into it and it seems to have soften it up a bit.

Well, I have an 09 Accord that came with Z1. Been changing approximately 3 quarts the Z1 every oil change, starting with the 2nd oil change, since new. I picked up a case of DW1 and will be trying that next time. When using the Z1, I've never noticed any change in shifts, nor has the color been that different. I'm hoping the DW1 doesn't change anything either.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
When using the Z1, I've never noticed any change in shifts, nor has the color been that different. I'm hoping the DW1 doesn't change anything either.

That's because you're changing out the fluid way too frequently. You're not giving the bulk fluid any time to degrade or age. It should shift the same as when new because most of the fluid IS new...

Thanks guys. I have gleaned some good info out of this.

The second Drain and Fill of DW-1 got rid of stop light vibration (was able to see the wiper arm vibrate wawawawawawa when stopped in Drive) and now the wiper arm is dead still. I always kept the fluid level in spec.

Very happy about that... the old Z1 was not very good in cold weather either, very viscous and slow to engage as it had to be squeezed out from under the clutches I guess. Noticed that the first winter got it in November 2010 and used the factory tranny fill for that Winter. The second Winter on one D&F of DW-1 and the Winter performance was great.

Synthetic tranny oils and engine oils in 0W were a good move on the part of the auto industry, very happy with it.

Sorry forgot to add that I am really happy that it is made by Idemitsu, if it ever goes to CoP I will go to Maxlife at that point forward. Will try and get another few bottles of DW-1 to stash while it is Idemitsu.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: bigmike
When using the Z1, I've never noticed any change in shifts, nor has the color been that different. I'm hoping the DW1 doesn't change anything either.

That's because you're changing out the fluid way too frequently. You're not giving the bulk fluid any time to degrade or age. It should shift the same as when new because most of the fluid IS new...

Maybe so. It comes out to 3quarts per year by my method (OCI is once/year). If Z-1 (or DW-1) is such a poor performing fluid, why doesn't Honda simply instill a more frequent change as the easy solution?

Actually its no longer Synthetic or syn blend.. Its regular conventional ATF LV......

The only time it was full syn was when it first came out in Canada.... Or Perhaps still in CANADA but here in the USA its just DINO ATF LV.

Back