2009 Dodge Journey SXT - Tranny Oil & Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to change the tranny fluid and filter on our 2009 Journey with 132k miles. I am getting different opinions. Some info states this may be a sealed transmission with a lifetime warranty and other info states that this can only be done at the dealer. I cannot find a dipstick to even change the tranny fluid.

Any info is much apprecaited.

Thank you.

Originally Posted By: Cooker
Looking to change the tranny fluid and filter on our 2009 Journey with 132k miles. I am getting different opinions. Some info states this may be a sealed transmission with a lifetime warranty and other info states that this can only be done at the dealer. I cannot find a dipstick to even change the tranny fluid.

Any info is much apprecaited.

Thank you.

The owner's manual is your friend and has all the answers to your questions above. If for some reason your vehicle does not have an OM you should pick one up. Usually it is easy and cheap to grab them on E-Bay( I just looked and there are a few up for auction - 1 is only $5.99 ).

Page 482 of the owner's manual shows that you change the automatic transaxle fluid and filter at 60K/60 months for severe service( lots of towing or commerical use like a taxi )or 120K/120 months for normal service.

The fluid used is ATF+4( page 476 ).

IMO 120K is way too long to go on the fluid. IMO the 60K is a more reasonable time frame.

I am assuming you have the 3.5L V6 engine as you said there is no dipstick for the trans( the 2.4L & 2.7L models have a dipstick ). You need a special tool to check the fluid level which is why the OM says it is dealer serviced only( page 449 )and why Chrysler did not put a dipstick in. This is becoming more and more common on all vehicles not just Chrysler.

As to warranty coverage. 2009 models came with the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty but it only is valid for the original owner of the vehicle. If you bought this Journey used it does not transfer to you. If you are the original owner you have a LPTW. That would not cover standard maintenance however and the transaxle does require fluid and filter changes.

The ATF+4 fluild used in your tranny was developed by Lubrizol and Chrysler and is proprietary. Others can blend it. but must use the Lubrizol adpak and the same base fluids as I understand it.It is a highly developed ATF and it would not be to your benifit to use anything else IMO. FWIW--Oldtommy

I am not the original owner so unfortunately the warranty does not apply to me.

Since I need a special tool I cannot check the fluid myself and therefore changing the fluid on my own doesn't make since if I cannot check the fluid. Unless the tool is cheap enought I could purchase one and may do do if the dealer wants more than $100 to change the ATF. I cannot belive there is not even a dipstick to check the fluid.

Thank for the info on the +4 I am familiar with it. I have used it in my Chrysler light duty applications (ie. cars/vans).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back