Filter for 2013 Mustang GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought my first brand new car, 13' Mustang GT with the 5.0 coyote and 3.73 diff, this thing makes my old LS1 camaro seem like a geo metro lol, anyways since it's my first new car I will be going with a Full Synthetic but my question is what filter should I use? I can get Donaldson filters Baldwin filters and WIX which I've always used on my car's at a discounted price, I want to try something new though so it's between the Donaldson or Baldwin filter and the donalson factory is actually only a few blocks from me and know lot's of people that work there, input would be appreciated and I will post up a video of the new ride once I get the cold air intake and exhaust on this weekend. Thanks.

I have a 12' GT and I just use the FL500S. Great filter and no [censored] from a dealer if there is a warranty issue.

Isn't the fl500 just a purolator? I'm not a fan of purolator at all and can't get them for cheap like I can a Donaldson or Baldwin, and the amsoil would be over kill since I'm going to change it every 3k this car will be drag raced and taken to lapping days almost every weekend, thanks for the input though, also how much better is a Baldwin or Donaldson over a wix?

Originally Posted By: boosted
Isn't the fl500 just a purolator? I'm not a fan of purolator at all and can't get them for cheap like I can a Donaldson or Baldwin, and the amsoil would be over kill since I'm going to change it every 3k this car will be drag raced and taken to lapping days almost every weekend, thanks for the input though, also how much better is a Baldwin or Donaldson over a wix?

It's built more stout than a Purolator classic but it is made by Purolator. Nice ride. Which full syn are you going to be running?

Isn't the fl500 just a purolator?
No, it isn't JUST a Purolator. It is made by Purolator, but it's made to Ford's specifications on a dedicated assembly line. AMSOIL not withstanding, I don't think there's a better filter for a Ford product than Motorcraft.

FWIW, there's nothing wrong with Donaldson or WIX, either.

OK thanks for the info, will have to consider the fo mo co filter I guess, should I use motorcraft oil then also? Lol, maybe ill do some uoas and decide then.

OK thanks for the info, will have to consider the fo mo co filter I guess, should I use motorcraft oil then also? Lol, maybe ill do some uoas and decide then.

Motorcraft is a good oil but if it were my mustang I'd be using the PU. I'd want a full synthetic for how it'd be driven
grin.gif

Last edited:
The Motorcraft oil filter is the best for a Ford vehicle. Ford has gone of its way to design it for your application. The Ford lubrication engineers have put alot of thought and testing into it. It is a quality built filter to Ford's specifications.

Sounds good! Because of the warranty think ill use the fl500s. And I'm going to use the pu most likely but am always open to suggestions if given a good reason.

I use MC filters in both Fords. Both engines get 10K OCIs with these filters and both are clean as new, as much of the head as I can see.

Seems like the Ford guys stick with the ford product, think I will see if I can order some fomoco fl500s through my new job, work for a heavy duty truck service place and distributer so shouldn't be a problem.

OK, and thank you, going to be using PU.

Unless it's recently changed, I don't believe Ultra meets Fords warranty requirements. Platinum does.

Only use oils certified for gasoline engines by the
American Petroleum Institute (API). An oil with this
trademark symbol conforms to the current engine and
emission system protection standards and fuel
economy requirements of the International Lubricants
Specification Advisory Council (ILSAC), comprised of
U.S. and Japanese automobile manufacturers.

That is the only mention in the owners manual on what oil to use on the GT.

Additional info
Intelligent Oil Life Monitor™ – 3.7L and 5.0L Engines
Your vehicle is equipped with an Intelligent Oil Life Monitor™ that
determines when the engine oil should be changed based on how your
vehicles is used. By using several important factors in its calculations, the
monitor helps reduce the cost of owning your vehicle and reduce
environmental waste at the same time. This means you won’t have to
remember to change the oil on a mileage-based schedule; the vehicle lets
you know when an oil change is due by displaying OIL CHANGE
REQUIRED in the message center. The following table is intended to
provide examples of vehicle use and its impact on engine oil change
intervals; it is provided as a guideline only. Actual engine oil change
intervals will depend on several factors and will generally decrease with
severity of use.
Note: The Shelby GT500 message center is NOT equipped with this
feature; refer to your Shelby GT500 supplement for oil change service
intervals.
When to expect the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED m

Check page 280 2nd printing for correct oil spec.

Use SAE 5W-20 engine oil
Only use oils certified for gasoline engines by the American Petroleum Institute (API). An oil with this trademark symbol conforms to the current engine and emission system protection standards and fuel economy requirements of the International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC), comprised of U.S. and Japanese automobile manufacturers.

To protect your engine and engine’s warranty, use Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 or an equivalent SAE 5W-20 oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C945-A. SAE 5W-20 oil provides optimum fuel economy and durability performance meeting all requirements for your vehicle’s engine.

Ultra lists Ford WSS-M2C-929-A (5W-30), WSS-M2C-930-A (5W-20).(OLD Ford specs)

Pennzoil Platinum® 5W-20 exceeds Ford WSS-M2C945-A/WSS-M2C930-A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back