What is shift flair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Automatic tranny...Can someone explain this term to me? I kind'a/sort'a think I know what it is but, I'm not completely sure! I have heard the term being used w/o any explaination while using the term. Shift Flair!

I think that I may have some "shift flair" in my '04 Altima after using Castrol IMV compared to Mobil 1 ATF. But it doesn't happen all the time.

I mentioned in several previous posts, that I am using Castrol IMV in 3 Asian auto trannys('01 Lexus RX-300, '04 Nissan Altima 2.4, '06 Mazda3 2.0) and that the shifting is different than with the previous ATF. And I also stated that..."the tranny's don't shift poorly compared to the previous ATF, just different!"

I believe I have even mentioned, each vehicles shifting differences
This Altima is only one experience that I am asking about.

TIA
CB

If you mean shift "flare"-it means slippage or an increase in engine RPM between gears on acceleration with an automatic transmission. Shift "Flair" is usually followed by a knife edge chop and the crowd going "WOOOOOO"!

Shift flare is often the first sign of trouble...like low line pressure or worn clutches...

Are you certain that the fluid you were using was right for the trans?

Transmissions are not engines, the fluids used matters much more. Why I only use factory transmission fluids. The risks and costs of a tranny rebuild outweigh any fluid cost savings.

Depending on what the tranny is supposed to run on, Lubegard platinum may be helpful. Check out the Lubegard website and the fluid compatibility chart.

Last edited:
I agree with Astro... I know it is witchcraft a bit, but it is probably good to stick with one ATF fluid that works in your tranny... If anyone disagrees with that it is fine and I understand.

But, if I had used DW-1 in my Fit for the next ten years, I wouldn't start using something else, one add pack might clean and rinse away stuff aggressively the other add pack may have left behind.

I can easily be talking out of my rear, but I just wouldn't do it. If you can quickly go back to what worked you may be able to save the tranny. If you leave it in and keep driving it will just get worse until it fails.

Stop driving the car if possible until you can get the correct ATF in there.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Shift "Flair" is usually followed by a knife edge chop and the crowd going "WOOOOOO"!
Awesome. Don't forget brushing your hair back and doing a cocky strut too!

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Transmissions are not engines, the fluids used matters much more. Why I only use factory transmission fluids. The risks and costs of a tranny rebuild outweigh any fluid cost savings.

Depending on what the tranny is supposed to run on, Lubegard platinum may be helpful. Check out the Lubegard website and the fluid compatibility chart.

I have almost 300 K on a Toyota product using Walmart Dex III. I wonder how far it would go on "factory fluid"?

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

I have almost 300 K on a Toyota product using Walmart Dex III. I wonder how far it would go on "factory fluid"?

Is it supposed to run on Dex III? Then your on the factory fluid spec. Its not that simple on the newer trannys.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Shift "Flair" is usually followed by a knife edge chop and the crowd going "WOOOOOO"!

Please allow a moment of silence for the Undertaker...

Seriously folks, ANY slippage in a slushbox is a sign of impending doom. Really.

get that sucker checked out fast.

Certain 2001 model year Pathfinders also had a 1->2 shift flare. See NTB01-055a - 2001 PATHFINDER AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION 1-2 OR 2-3 SHIFT FLARE

I believe I experience shift flare at all temperatures for 1->2 shifts, but it isn't always noticeable. I am also running Castrol Import Multi Vehicle and a 10oz. bottle of Lubeguard Red. Perhaps I should do a cooler line fluid exchange and replace it all with Nissan Matic D, which is what the transmission specifies. My VIN does not fall between the range specified under "Incident B".

I checked for a similar TSB for your 04 Altima, but found nothing.

I would try different fluid. I've played around with various fluids in my Honda transmissions and it really does make a difference. I have two different transmissions. The one in our Acura is a 4-shaft V-6 transmission and the one in our CR-V is a 3-shaft I-4 transmission. They're obviously different internally and shift differently as well.

The Acura's transmission became pretty sloppy on the OEM fluid. I ran a bunch of DW-1 through it and most folks know that the OEM Honda fluid is pretty poor fluid. The Z1 was really bad, and though the DW-1 seems to be a better product, it also seems to shear down quickly and get loose fast. With DW-1 in the Acura's transmission, it's hard to know the transmission is even there. There's no real "flair" during shifting, but it's so smooth, you can't really feel it either. That's smoother than it was designed to be on Z1, and that means that clutches are wearing faster. I've ran 6 quarts of Valvoline MaxLife ATF through the Acura and can't describe how much better the transmission feels on this product. The shifts are firmer, they're quicker, and they happen with less slip. Gear engagement is positive and you never get a feeling that you're "between gears" as you did with the OEM DW-1 fluid. So far, the Valvoline ML ATF is the only aftermarket fluid I've run in the Acura, but it's one that I'll probably stick with, only because I'm very happy with how it shifts.

The CR-V actually came with Valvoline ML ATF in the sump. The Honda *dealer* doesn't even use the OEM Honda fluid; they use the Valvoline ML ATF when they service vehicles. I thought it shifted pretty firm on MaxLife, so I ran 3 quarts of DW-1 through it. That improved some, and over time I ran 6 more quarts of DW-1 through it and it started to get much smoother, but it also had a bit of that "loose" feeling that the Acura has on it. I now have 3 quarts of Castrol IMV in it and like the Castrol a lot in this transmission. I believe it is what I will continue to use in this one.

If your Nissan is shifting a little looser on Castrol, try the Valvoline ML ATF. In my experience, it shifts a little firmer. That may help you in your case.

In general, I'm with LeakySeals: use the OEM fluid. However, in my opinion, there has to be a huge caveat with that. Some OEM fluids demonstrably suck. Or, if they're not physically poor products, they're at least tuned for very soft shifts at the expense of clutch wear. If your particular OEM fluid is like this, and there's a whole raft of people out there with good experiences on a different one, I think you have nothing to lose (and even stand to gain extended transmission life). I know nothing about the Nissan Matic fluids and whether or not they're well-regarded by folks who own Nissans. The Nissan fluid may be a better option for you, I don't know. I'd personally try Valvoline ML ATF first. It should offer the firmest shift of most of your choices.

A co-worker of mine just traded in his 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe with 204,000 miles on it. For its entire life with him, he had it serviced at his local garage, who used a universal fluid. I'm not sure which one it was (Valvoline, Castrol, etc), but it was not the SP-II or SP-III or whatever it should have. Would it have lasted longer or shorter on OEM fluid? Who knows; for him, 204k was long enough.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Fake story, sorry.

If you mean shift "flare"-it means slippage or an increase in engine RPM between gears on acceleration with an automatic transmission. Shift "Flair" is usually followed by a knife edge chop and the crowd going "WOOOOOO"!

Yes, I meant FLARE! Thank you :0
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Shift flare is often the first sign of trouble...like low line pressure or worn clutches...

Are you certain that the fluid you were using was right for the trans?

Yes, the fluid(Castrol IMV) meet the spec for Matic-D. And because it happens so rare, I am not sure that this is what is really happening.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: dwcopple

Seriously folks, ANY slippage in a slushbox is a sign of impending doom. Really.

get that sucker checked out fast.

As stated, I am not really sure that this Flare is what is happening. It's too mild and infrequent to be certain. And considering that I have had the IMV in for >2 yrs, it's just happening only now with ~ 12K miles on the fluid.

Last edited:
I am a current DW-1 user... Have 3.5 quarts left and I may switch to Valvoline in another 15-20,000 Kms to firm up the shifts as was mentioned by Hokiefyd, he made a lot of valid points.

I do SO MUCH city driving that DW-1 may burn out my 1-2 with its silky shifts.

I have a question though, I see DEX / MERC Maxlife at Walmart and it says synthetic base oils etc. but it says for older trans after 120000 miles on the front of it. Are all Maxlifes like that? I just don't want any HM conditioners in my trans as it is fairly new.

If someone could explain, as it is also pertinent to the OP somewhat... May help out his trans?

In my experience the Castrol IMV, tends to stiffen up shifts. My RX shifts more crisp, and faster with the Castrol compared to the Toyota T-IV.

As far as the shift flare, I'd try using the Mobil 1 ATF if you didn't experience shift flare with that.

Originally Posted By: Falken
I have a question though, I see DEX / MERC Maxlife at Walmart and it says synthetic base oils etc. but it says for older trans after 120000 miles on the front of it. Are all Maxlifes like that? I just don't want any HM conditioners in my trans as it is fairly new.

As long as it's the red-cap MaxLife ATF, it doesn't have any seal swellers or anything like that. The yellow-cap MaxLife ATF does have seal swellers designed to stop active leaks, and that's one I'd stay away from. Check out Valvoline's website for more information on both products.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
In my experience the Castrol IMV, tends to stiffen up shifts. My RX shifts more crisp, and faster with the Castrol compared to the Toyota T-IV.

As far as the shift flare, I'd try using the Mobil 1 ATF if you didn't experience shift flare with that.

I always like Mobil 1 ATF and just may go back to it in all vehicles. Never an issue that I can recall.

I also may have nothing to worry about, as what you folks are telling me seems to be more severe than what I am experiencing(if at all). But...Mobil 1 is on my shopping list.

Thanks so much for all of the replys
smile.gif

CB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back