Transfer Case & Differential Fluids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, guys! I think it's about time I stop being so cheap and change out my transfer case and diff fluids. I changed them last at 137k miles, I'm now at 186k miles. It's been almost 50k miles, should I change it now or wait? Last time I used Redline 75W-90.

Now, two questions:
1. Is it time to change out the fluids? I think it is, but I know a lot of people who go longer.

2. What fluid should I use?
It's spec'd for:
Quote:
Hypoid gear oil API GL–5
Above –18_C (0_F) SAE 90
Below –18_C (0_F) SAE 80W or 80W–90

I was thinking about using Royal Purple 75W-90, but it's $20 a bottle (I'll need two, one for the diff and one for the transfer case) and I'm wondering if it's worth that much, compared to the Mobil 1 which is only $11 per bottle. I don't mind paying the extra if it's worth it, but if they are both practically the same, then why bother paying more? lol

Thanks!

Our RAV4 has the same specs for the t-case and rear diff. I just used Mobil 1 75W-90. That was the weight recommendation I got from BITOG and Amsoil's website.

I also saw an Amsoil paper that compared their gear oil to many competitors. Amsoil was the best, and Mobil 1 came in 2nd. For half the price of Amsoil, it was good enough for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JMHC
Amsoil was the best, and Mobil 1 came in 2nd. For half the price of Amsoil, it was good enough for me.

X2 - if cost savings is part of the equation, then M1 will certainly suffice and not break the bank (especially if you are leaning towards consistent 50K OCIs).

Awesome! Thanks for the quick responses! Look's like I'll be getting the Mobil 1.

Do you guys think I should change it out now or wait a few more miles? Also, how long can I go on the Mobil 1?

If you get it at AAP using their website for store pickup, you can use their promo codes. I just got five quarts of M1 for $34.95 plus tax. Code is A123. If you don't need that many, throw in some filters or ATF (the Castrol Transmax Import works with this code). It's good for $20 off $50.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
If you get it at AAP using their website for store pickup, you can use their promo codes. I just got five quarts of M1 for $34.95 plus tax. Code is A123. If you don't need that many, throw in some filters or ATF (the Castrol Transmax Import works with this code). It's good for $20 off $50.

Yeah, I tried using the coupon code on AAP, but that doesn't apply to Castrol Transmax, I tried that earlier today because I'm going to be changing out my transmission fluid this weekend. How did you get it to work with that code?

It's cheapest at Napa for me (not much, a few cents), because they sell Transmax IMV cheaper than AAP,AZ, etc. And, I get a 10% discount from AAA. I really only save a dollar at Napa when comparing to AAP (with coupon code), but the Napa is also closer.

If the coupon code for AAP applied to the Castrol Transmax that would save me an additional $5. But as it stands it's $42 at AAP for 4 quarts of Transmax and 2 qts of Mobil 1 75w-90. And, it's $41 at Napa.

Last edited:
I went 60K on the factory dino oil and it looked pretty good. I am going to go 100K on the Mobil.

Ok, good to know. Although I don't think I could go that long in the RX, considering it's full time AWD.

I got the ATF in June, so they may have changed it up. It used to work anyhow. Oh well.

Maybe you can stock up on filters to get to the $50 mark. Air and cabin filters worked, I think. I got some oil filters too. Also, yesterday there was a rebate on the counter for a Purolator oil and air filter that can be used twice.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I got the ATF in June, so they may have changed it up. It used to work anyhow. Oh well.

Maybe you can stock up on filters to get to the $50 mark. Air and cabin filters worked, I think. I got some oil filters too. Also, yesterday there was a rebate on the counter for a Purolator oil and air filter that can be used twice.

Oh, yeah they may have changed the exceptions on the coupon.

I already have a bunch of oil filters, but I guess it doesn't hurt to have more. Considering both my ES300 and RX300 take the same oil filter. I can get engine air/cabin air filter's for very cheap, and OEM so i rather not buy them from AAP.

Thanks for the advice!

Originally Posted By: hypervish
I went 60K on the factory dino oil and it looked pretty good. I am going to go 100K on the Mobil.

Ok, good to know. Although I don't think I could go that long in the RX, considering it's full time AWD.

Good point...the RAV is FWD most of the time so there is a difference there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back