Is loctite an antiseize?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I saw comments on another forum that if loctite was used as requested in the FSM for some caliper mounting bolts, that they wouldnt have seized and thus been able to be removed.

So though the chemistry and all is different, does loctite effectively work as an antiseize? Or, when the conditions are right, does the galvanic action still just make its way in?

Actually, it does. Loctite prevents thread corrosion and I believe has some anti-seize properties.

I'd still say use regular antiseize though if thats what you're looking for.

It seals the threads by filling in the void that would be there if the fastener was installed dry. So it will prevent seizing because it seals the gap where water/corrosion could take place. Though it's not an antiseize.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
It seals the threads by filling in the void that would be there if the fastener was installed dry. So it will prevent seizing because it seals the gap where water/corrosion could take place. Though it's not an antiseize.

Right, it keeps parts from loosening and from seizing.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I'll repeat it (I think it's good info). I have a friend at work, who's really gifted mechanically, mentioned that heat is very effective at loosening thread locking compounds. So I'd say with the addition of heat, thread locker may have some anti seize like properties (hm, never thought of it that way).

Think of it this way: Without Loctite, there's a void in the threads where moisture can wick in and cause corrosion.

If you use loctite, there's a good chance you can completely fill the void in the threads.

Actually, any bolt I've ever removed that I thought was going to be a huge PITA but wasn't usually had blue loctite on it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
...does loctite effectively work as an antiseize?...

Be aware that Loctite (the brand name) makes a dedicated anti-seize thread compound. I happen to use it whenever required, lug nuts being my most prevalent use. It is the silver grade product and, frankly like all Loctite products, is excellent. It is not a thread locking compound (like their red / blue usual locking compound products). The poster in that forum may have just been using the product name to mean anti-seize... sort of like someone saying "pass me a Kleenex" and what they really want is a facial tissue whether it is made by Kleenex or Scott or whomever... anyway...

Now on to the anti-seize aspect of the locking product, yes, the blue and red anti-seize compounds manufactured by Loctite act as a sealant and protect threads from corrosion.

If it's a galvanic corrosion situation where a steel bolt is threaded into aluminum, I could see a paste of "anything" being of benefit.

Thread locker is usually used by the OEMS.If its good enough for them,you should use it too.

The chart on page 2 of this Permatex sheet lists "prevents seizing". Their liquid TDS states that it prevents rusting:

http://www.permatex.com/documents/GelTwist.PX0225.pdf

The liquid TDS says you do NOT have to compensate for torque value....that's a good thing.

In a situation or extreme galvanic action, I would "guess" that real antiseize works better. This should not be a situation on automobile fasteners (imagine the consequences of fastener failure). Although, you do have aluminum wheels bolted to steel hubs....hmmmmm.

Quote:
does loctite effectively work as an antiseize?

Yes it does. It effectively seals the threads from air and moisture. The blue is perfect for caliper bolts.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:
does loctite effectively work as an antiseize?

Yes it does. It effectively seals the threads from air and moisture. The blue is perfect for caliper bolts.

Can I use Aerokroil?

Kroil is a good penetrant but not really a good thread protector or anti seize.
I recently tried the Loctite blue tape 249, it works well.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
The chart on page 2 of this Permatex sheet lists "prevents seizing". Their liquid TDS states that it prevents rusting:

http://www.permatex.com/documents/GelTwist.PX0225.pdf

The liquid TDS says you do NOT have to compensate for torque value....that's a good thing.

In a situation or extreme galvanic action, I would "guess" that real antiseize works better. This should not be a situation on automobile fasteners (imagine the consequences of fastener failure). Although, you do have aluminum wheels bolted to steel hubs....hmmmmm.

32.gif
Proper metallurgy is a difference between a cheap car and a well sorted one. My sister's hyundai had lots of steel bolts going into aluminum and at the time they were not well treated and felt like they were going to snap. Even the spark plugs were in silly-tight.

I use Locktite on clutch bolts - things like that.
Never on brakes.
Can it seal threads and help? Sure, esp if you use too much. Normally, only a little is used, not gobbed on the whole bolt.

But strictly speaking, Locktite is not A.S. - it performs the opposite function.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back