Is motorcycle oil in an air cooled VW okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A backyard mechanic friend of mine is wondering if he can/should use Valvoline 20W50 motorcycle oil in his 72 VW Beetle. It is air cooled and he normally uses Castrol GTX 20W50. It's only driven in warmer months.

If its a recommended weight for that engine, I don't see an issue with it. Motorcycle oil tends to be a really stout performer, especially in aircooled applications. I'd use it.

I used to use a 30 wt oil in my 61 Bug and 68SQ Back & 73 bug. Curous as to why you are using a 50Wt. I would think a Motorcycle oil would be great.

Last edited:
I use to work next to a classic VW workshop. The old guys there said they originally took a monograde 30 but they use 20w50 now. My question is why 20w50?

I live in the tropics and my air cooled Beetle is specified for 40 weight oil. Your friend's 20W-50 oil viscosity is prob OK but I personally prefer Delo 40 weight diesel oil now. It's cheaper than 15W-40 too.

You don't want the friction modifiers of motorcycle oils in car engines. If you were to go back to last year's MA1, maybe, but MA2 should be on most of the shelves and it has much more grab to it. Go with a good diesel formulation. Start with this explanation Oil selection for flat tappets

I don't know about other years, but the 77 manual specs 20W-50 or 20W-40 from about 17F to 79F. 15W-40 and 15W-50 down to about 5F. SAE 30 from 40F to79F.

Oils of the 70's had a lot more shear, so multigrades were not specified as wide as they could be today. For instance, they recommended sae 40 for Temps between 79F and 100F. Not many places where the morning is over 79. and today we look at a good 20W-50 or xW-50 and it is much better than a sae 40.

That motorcycle oil is made to withstand the normal operating temps in an air cooled twin cylinder. It will be just fine in the air cooled VW. It is probably way more expensive however. Why not just use a good quality API motor oil?
crazy2.gif

He can use that oil, but it's a waste of money. That Castrol is fine. If he's looking for some increased performance in a 50-wt, suggest Mobil 1 15w-50. At least in the US, it's available in 5-qt jugs at Wal-Mart for cheap. I've used it in my bike (also an air-cooled boxer engine) with great results.

Since many motorcycles wash the clutch and motor in the same oil motorcycle oil is modified to still provide enough friction for the clutch. This modification is not needed and not desirable in a car, be it air or water cooled. But as with anything having to do with retail products it is best to contact the vender to see if that specific oil has been so modified for motorcycle use.

I think in a hot climate that a modern 15W-50 or 20W-50 oil would be ideal, at least for the summer months in that VW. Whether you use a conventional or a semi or full synthetic is up to you and your budget, but a synthetic will help that engine live longer in the harsh environment that an air-cooled engine lives in, and may allow longer change intervals, esp if the engine has been fitted with a real oil filter vs the stock screen. The main question for me would be the extra cost for motorcycle-specific oil, but otherwise would not have a negative effect and have boosted anti-wear additive like ZDDP. The lack of automotive friction modifiers should not be an issue. However, I would not use an automotive 20W-50 in a motorcycle with a wet clutch due to the friction modifiers in the automotive oil. The air-cooled VW engine most likely has no catalyst in the exhaust to be affected by the extra ZDDP either. What is so bad about motorcycle oil in this app? (besides high price)

10-30 or a 15-40 [preferred] is what I'd use.
I used to be into VW Bugs and dune buggys.

If you need 20-50, something is wrong.
Ignition timing that is off, bad thermostat, slipping fan belt, blocked oil cooler, etc., can cause high engine oil temps., requiring a 20-50.

So is motorcycle oil OK? Sure, but expensive. Don't even consider friction modification. Some motorcycle oils deal with wet clutches, and they don't have loads of extra additives.

Last edited:
Hi,
BovineScapegoat - Check the viscosity. Typically these engines perform well on what was orginally recommended - 20w-20 or 30 if I recall correctly - depending on the ambient and use

I ran the Autobahns for years on 20w-20 HD of the era. Today's HDEO lubricants of the same viscosity are way better

15w40 HDEO works great in the AC VWs. Much cheaper then motorcycle oils too. I use to own a Harley and a Baja Bug. The Harley got Redline 20w60 while I used Rotella in the Baja.

With an air cooled VW the short OCIs do not dictate expensive oil.

Originally Posted By: widman
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
http://www.wisegeek.com/can-i-put-oil-for-a-car-into-my-motorcycle.htm see testimonials at bottom of article.

That article is wrong. Sure the car oil will work fine in the engine part of the motorcycle, but not the clutches. Since I launched MA2 I've put it in several race motorcycles on the rallys and the drivers are amazed at the different response of the clutch.

But any oil change will result in a wet clutch feel difference. Even between 'motorcycle' oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back