Accord V6 Oil and Filter Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a 2004 Honda Accord 3.0L V6 6-speed manual with 84k miles on it. Not sure what kinda oil was used by the previous owner. As soon as i bought it i changed the oil to Mobil 1 5w-20 with a Purolator Classic filter. My OCI is 3750 miles, and i change the filter every time. I race the car at the drag strip and some autocross event and the engine burns no oil. Car just clicked to 90k miles last week and i bought some Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 and another Purolator Classic.

How does Pennzoil Ultra compare to Mobil 1? Also is using such a cheap filter keeping my engine clean enough?

It "should" get the job done but I don't understand why you're using good quality oil but an el cheapo oil filter, even if your OCIs are short.

Bump up to a Pure One. They are on sale for 2 for $5 right now at AAP. If you want to stock up on a few to last you for the next 5-6 OCIs worth, buy 6 and use a discount code online at AAP to bring the price down even more which will be now too far from what you're paying for the cheap Classics.

Just my opinion.

The Purolator classics have the efficiency of the previous Pureone (blue cans) so they are pretty good. I think Ultra is one of the better synthetics based on personal results in cleaning performance and BITOG. The 3750 mile most likely is a waste though on those quality synthetics.

If you want to use synthetic then any brand 0W20 is better than 5W20. If you want to use 5W20 then any brand name dino/blend is good for 6-7k OCI.

If you're going to run full synthetic, change the oil less frequently. You can probably go to 6,000 miles.

My parents have the same car and I've been using different oils and filters on 5k OCIs with no differences between them. The last UOA was 5w20 Syntec and a PureOne filter on a near 7,500 OCI and it came back looking good with 120k on the clock.

I'm starting to believe that they are fairly durable engines that aren't too picky on the oil.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
PU 10W30 AND BOSH D+ FILTER

10w30 is an antiquated weight. There's no reason for him to run something like that, especially in Ohio where it's going to get really cold.

I have a 2000 3.0L Accord... with less miles than yours ( : < ) but I don't race it (at least when my wife is watching). Been using 5W30 in it ebcause that's what was spec'ed for it. COntemplating a change to a 5W20 because I can find no difference between the 2000 3.0L and the 2002 3.0L that would indicate any reason not to. I'm not really a brand conscious guy, but I found a mix that works really well in this car and delivers great UOAs. Have worked this combo up from 5K , 7.5L, 8.5K and the upcoming OCI will be 10K.

The Oil: 4 Qts Castrol GTX SM (that's from my stash), 1 quart Castrol Syntec SM (again the older Syntec from my stash). Started off on GTX, then the Castrol Syntec Blend, then with my own blend. I have one OC of this left and after that, I will go to my stash of RP 5W20 SL with an Ultra filter. If that works well, I will select another 5W20... likely a Gp III syn.

The Filters: Used to use the OE Honda, then the Wix Premium and now the PureOne, but will be going the Fram Ultra route once my last PureOne filter is gone.

Nice car. The 6-speeds are much faster than than the autos. I looked everywhere and could not find one. So, i ended up with an auto but i have taken good care of it. Still fun to drive, and i run it hard also.

I have been debating whether to change to a thicker oil because i drive it hard, particularly redline 0w30. It has a nice hths of 3.2, however the viscosity is a little thick at 10.9 cst @ 100C. Currently running PP 5w20 with pure one filters.

I'd highly recommend you get the T/belt service done, especially if you drag race. Tensioners leak on almost every single one i have done by 90k miles. Might as well check valve clearances as well, as the V6's tend to get tight quicker (exhaust valves)than the specified service interval.

Congrats on the car.

Last edited:
The Pennzoil and Mobil 1 are equally good oils. Use either one with confidence. As far as the filter goes, since you are changing it every 3750 miles, any filter will be fine. Drag racing the car will cause more damage to drivetrain components than what a cheap filter will ever do.

Since the Accord gets synthetic, I was contemplating the idea of changing the oil on the normal interval (7500), but change ONLY the filter on the severe interval (3750).

Running conventional in my other car, 1992 Nissan Sentra gets oil+filter on the severe interval (3750)

How is that plan?

Last edited:
If you want to halve the length of the OEM filter interval, change it every time you change the oil. Honda recommends changing the filter every other oil change.

I use P1.

I'd use QSUD 5W20 year round on that car. I can't speak for it because I have never used it, but I would also try QSUD 0W20 but keep my ear close to the valve cover on hot and cold days to see if you hear the valve train chattering much louder with the 0W20.

Prop up the hood before you start the car, and have the door open with one foot out and turn the key, then quickly walk over and put your ear near the valve cover and listen.

I prefer quiet valves over fuel economy, and I know on my Honda Fit QSUD 5W20 makes the valves extremely quiet, like a purring sewing machine.

For oil filter, Wix all the way. Other filters like K&N (Mobil is same filter) are twice the price and I think they may be very restrictive. I prefer better flow over better filtration but I have never used any other filter on my Fit other than 2 OEM (Honeywell FRAM) and the rest are Wix.

With the Pennzoil Ultra, check the oil in the mornings and keep a close eye on the level. It is the only oil that gave my Fit mild oil consumption, a bit less than half a litre in 5,000 Km. I wont use it again, but may try the GTL(?) version SN if I ever bump into it, the PU I used was SM 5W20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back