Opinions on these Hankook and Kumho tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The General looks like a very nice tire. General truck tires (i.e. Ameritrac) have been junk in the past but some of there newest stuff at least looks good.

Kumhos seem pretty decent. The Hankook Optimo H725A which i'm not certain is related used to have balance problems when I worked at Saturn and they were coming with new Aura sedans.

FWIW I had that tire size on an old Achieva work car and put Michelin Harmonys on it. They were such a nice smooth tire that they really deserved being on a better car.

Teddyboy - we have the exact same car & I'm looking to get new tires soon!

It looks like the Michelin Defender for us, but that Evertrek is looking like a huge price saver though....

The Kumho is a decent tire when new, but after 20,000 miles, they were downright scary in rain and winter conditions. So it's probably a good thing that they wear out quickly.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
195/70/14 you say? I'll let you in on a little secret then:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Evertrek-RT-Tire-195-70R14-91T/19487833

Combine with this:

http://www.generaltire.com/team-gt/gift-card-promo.php

You're welcome.
smile.gif

Thanks to your link I found a deal on 195 60 14 for my Integra. General EverTrek HP $59 each with $50 rebate and free installation. That's pretty crazy.

No problem. Try to help when I can...

Have you looked at tirerack.com survey results? The H725 has been out for a long time (I had mine since 2005), and by now there is enough data to make conclusions. The conclusion is that better tires exist for about the same price. For example, Yokohama AVID TRZ. See here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ST

My personal opinion on the H725 tires is that if you take a good care of them, they will last for a long time. (Taking a good care means your suspension and steering components are not worn out enough to cause premature wear, e.g. ball joints or outer tie rods, and your wheels are in a good alignment). I am guessing 50,000 miles should be doable on them. I replaced mine at 35,000 miles because age (6 years old) and it looked like there was enough meat to last for at least 20,000 miles.

As for performance, these are average. When driven normally and carefully, these are decent. Do not put these on a high performance car if you tend to drive aggressively. Lateral grip is weak. The car would understeer and oversteer relatively easily with these on aggressive cornering. Wet traction is average at best.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
My w123 mercedes use this size. Id go with cooper CS4 or wait until the next michelin hydroedge comes out.

Ive ridden on a set of comfortread in that size, and while $, they are comfortable.

Id also give yokohama a look... they are likely even US made.

The new Defender, replaces the Hydroedge & Harmomy, according to TireRack

My car calls for 205/55/16's and the cheap generals at walmart are $111 per tire. But if I go to a 205/60/16 the price drops to $79 per tire. Then subtract the $50 rebate. Do you think theres any way to get them to install the cheaper tire??? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
My car calls for 205/55/16's and the cheap generals at walmart are $111 per tire. But if I go to a 205/60/16 the price drops to $79 per tire. Then subtract the $50 rebate. Do you think theres any way to get them to install the cheaper tire??? Thanks!

The 60 aspect ratio tire is enough bigger to impact your speedometer. You also need to check your wheel well clearance. Wal Mart probably won't install the wrong size.

Well, I bought 4 new Michelin Destinys at DTC. I got a good price(in part because the tire is being phased out) and $100 worth of rebates. When all is said and done, my sensitivity to tire imperfections probably demands going with premium tires. Thanks for all of the input.

Originally Posted By: teddyboy
Well, I bought 4 new Michelin Destinys at DTC. I got a good price(in part because the tire is being phased out) and $100 worth of rebates. When all is said and done, my sensitivity to tire imperfections probably demands going with premium tires. Thanks for all of the input.

Good job!

Review:

I had first generation Hankook Mileage Plus for 3.5 years on a Saturn Coupe which I bought used in April 2004.

It was a miserable size, 175/70R14 85s. Since they were nearly new (mid-'03 buil date) I decided to stomach them for a while and then replace them with something else if the car proved worth keeping.

Car was much tippier and more skitish compared to Saturns with 185 or 195. On the other hand, braking was MUCH better than the miserable Dunlop SP20 that came standard on basic Civics, Sentras & Focus those days (depite that being a 185) and in other performance terms no worse than most other tires would be in that size and spec.

Money woes caused me to keep it more than one year, and after two years I gained respect for the toughness and value of this product.

The Mileage Plus tires took incredible abuse. The Part of Toronto I worked 2004-2007 in was filled with lumps, folds, surprise-raised manhole covers and jagged potholes big enough to conceal a medium sized dog. (since than, this condition has expanded to the entire city...)

Furthermore, from 2005-2007 the last 1.5 miles approaching my office building were a perpetual construction zone glistening with unavoidable metalic debris, huge nails & screws, shavings and broken industrial drill bits.

During this time I was the ONLY driver at my workplace who did not need to replace at least one tire. Had to patch two of them, but didn't replace any.(most others lost a couple of tires).

In addition to the road hazzards and somewhat abusive driving style for wheich these tires were not intended, the sidewalls also survived mounting a curb sideways when a vehichle out of control on an icy hill nudged my rear end causing me to also spin on once and climb the curb with the passenger side tires.

Comparatively, one of the Toyo winter tires I had this year climbed the same height curb at much lower speed (parking lot island hidden by snow) and it caused a bulge in the sidewall and damage to mounting surface so it is no longer usable.

In terms of the rubber, it looked & performed the same for the first 2.5 years (about 40K miles) but then in the 3rd year I noticed diminishing winter traction on cold & damp pavement.

Came into some rims with AVID T4 in 195/60R14 which is the size I actually wanted, and bought winter tires for the steelies so the hankooks were retired until I sold the car with them last March.

Verdict: Wouldn't have been my first choice (although in a wider size they'd probably be better) but I liked the tire's survivability. Compared to other lower end tire's I've tried in simillar sizes, they were better than Dunlop SP20 & SP40, Goodyear Conquest, BFG Precept, Firestone FR390 and I certainly wouldn't have paid a dime more to have FR690, Control TA, Integrity, Ameri-GS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back