Anyone tried 195/70R14 on a 93-97 Corolla?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stock size 175/65R14 or 185/65/R14, rim width 5.5 inch.

I know 195/70R14 will make the speedo off, but since the car has a very tall gearing ratio on the 3 speed auto I think 195/70 will work ok, and this particular size is on sale. I'm wondering if it would fit ok and if anyone has tried it?

There will be a 1.2" difference in diameter. Probably pretty trivial.

You say it has tall gearing - those tires will exacerbate it slightly. They're 5.5% larger (859 rev/mile vs 815 rev/mile for 185/65/14).

Most people say to stay within about %3 of the stock diameter. What you're suggesting is over %5. I'd be concerned about tire strikes on the fenders or components at full lock/full suspension travel, but if there's plenty of room then, sure, go for it.

You mean it has short gearing. Hits top gear at about 22 mph.

Crank your wheels all the way left and right and see if there's a fender liner that could rub. Also look up high at the strut, like the bottom spring perch: a 195/70/14 will be a little wider and a good bit taller.

I think it'll be okay but you'll need to drop the inflation pressures a bit and be prepared for a little loss of fuel economy going that wide.

It can be hard to predict what going with that much more rubber will do in these fancy-pants cars with their dang-fool power steering though.

Not good,I bought a 94 Corolla with the 195/70s and that was to tall of a tire,,It was always kicking out of overdrive along with poor gas milelage ,,I changed to the 185/65's and that is what is recommended from the factory

Originally Posted By: heyu
Not good,I bought a 94 Corolla with the 195/70s and that was to tall of a tire,,It was always kicking out of overdrive along with poor gas milelage ,,I changed to the 185/65's and that is what is recommended from the factory

Thank you and everyone. I'll stick with 185/65 or 175/65 just to be safe.

Yes I meant short gearing not tall gearing.

Short=high numerically, tall=lower numerically

Be prepared for fuel economy losses. Perhaps more road noise and a harsher ride, too. All depends on the tire chosen.

The upsides are all appreciated by enthusiastic drivers, as in dramatically improved traction in almost any situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back