Kawasaki mower engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see some mowers that have a Kawasaki FJ180V 6HP engine and I was wondering if this is a quality small mower engine?

Yes it is. Kawasaki is regarded in commercial landscape as top quality equipment alongside Shindaiwa, Honda, and Tanaka. All japanese brands. Kawasaki is in the same class as Honda mower engines, in terms of durability and reliability. Alot of japanese manufacturers use the same components (bearings, seals, tanks, electronics, pushrods, etc) in manufacturing (Japan is an island, not much room for competing factories).

BTW, the FJ180V utilizes a forced lubrication system. That is better than the comparable splash lubrication used by Honda. It has an oil filter on it. I would get it over the Honda.

I own a Honda mower and it is top-notch quality and runs like new after 10 years of service. I think the Kawasaki's are built even better (commercial grade as opposed to Honda's residential grade).

What mower were you looking at that has this engine?

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
I see some mowers that have a Kawasaki FJ180V 6HP engine and I was wondering if this is a quality small mower engine?

The list is getting smaller, but like said, you'll find this engine on high-end $700-$1200 21" mowers. It better be excellent quality!

Joel

I have the Kaw on my Snapper, first thing was purchase of a box of Purolator oil filters from Wallyworld and I change the oil once a month with conventional 5W30 using a small fuel pump wired with alligator clips to a car battery, suction out the old oil via dipstick and measure back new oil. One unusual item is that the dipstick must be fully unscrewed open, before measuring oil level.

The fuel tank is plastic and can crack, causing a leak. New FJ180 engines can be bought from ebay for under 200.

I have a JD lx 188 I bought new in 1998. Also a JD JX75 self propelled both with Kawasaki engines. I have a Honda push mower and a couple other machines with the Honda engines. As good as the Hondas are I'll give a slight edge to the Kawi engines over the Honda.The Hondas carburetors seem to me to be a little more finicky to me.It seems to me the Kawis run a little quieter also. You can't go wrong either way as both are great engines.Henni,on all the Japanese engines the oil is checked with yhe dipstick resting on the threads. Thanks, G-man

Originally Posted By: henni
..New FJ180 engines can be bought from ebay for under 200.

There's some on eBay for $190 shipped, but based on the pics, it doesn't have an oil filter. The ones with filters look to be closer to $300 (on eBay at least). Filter or not, still a great engine.

Joel

The FJ 180 is probably the best small engine for a lawn mower.

You can get them on top quality mowers like Ariens.

I don't know about the model you're talking about,but my 2002 John Deere GX-325 is equipped with a Kawasaki 18HP V-twin vertical shaft. I have never has a second's trouble with it, and it is quiet. The 4 foot belly mower runs louder than the engine! I would say that the key, as with anything else, would be preventative maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back