Fram air filter vs Pro Select air filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just put in a fram extra guard air filter to replace the napa pro select filter. The Fram look like a decend filter. A bit less pleace than the pro select. Witch one flow the best and offer the best filtration?

I change my filter every 6 month, so i dont need an expensive filter. $15 for Fram and $20 ish for napa pro select.

Fram for futur replacement?

Originally Posted By: wolf_06
Just put in a fram extra guard air filter to replace the napa pro select filter. The Fram look like a decend filter. A bit less pleace than the pro select. Witch one flow the best and offer the best filtration?

I change my filter every 6 month, so i dont need an expensive filter. $15 for Fram and $20 ish for napa pro select.

Fram for futur replacement?

Every 6 months!?
shocked2.gif

They love when people change their filter every 6 months = $$$

I always go to about 20k before I change the air filter

Yes every six month. For me the air filter is the most important filter on a car, dont like reusable stuff. Fresh air, thats what you engine need.

Head on over to a Parts Plus store.AF4003 is going to cost you about $10.00. Seem to be a decent made air filter.

Yes every six month. For me the air filter is the most important filter on a car, dont like reusable stuff. Fresh air, thats what you engine need.

New filters are worse at filtering than a six month old filter.

I agree that every six months is overkill and likely offers no benefits, unless you drive in very dusty conditions.

Yes every six month. For me the air filter is the most important filter on a car, dont like reusable stuff.

Is your daily driver a grain truck during harvest time on the prairies?
wink.gif

Six months is too often, unless that's what the automaker requires for warranty purposes. After that, install a restriction gauge and go by that. We didn't change them every six months on the taxis, and they went an absolute minimum of 50,000 km in six months.

Yeah I also noticed some dirt/sand ish stuff in the bottom of the air box, I cleaned it all out. Im far from being in the desert, but yeah, Im parranoid on air filters than anythin else on a car i think, maybe oil filter is second...

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

New filters are worse at filtering than a six month old filter.

I agree that every six months is overkill and likely offers no benefits, unless you drive in very dusty conditions.

The consensus seems to be that changing your air filter every six months....is OVERKILL. Air filters, like oil filters get better at filtering as they get older.

As someone said....just hold your filter up to the sun....and if you see light coming through....is still good. Its it simple as that. IMO...your over-thinking this....and a lot issues as well.

Did a comparison of the previous standard Fram AF to the new design with pics posted here. Regularly use Fram AF's, decent construction, readily available, at a reasonable price.

I change them every 25-30k miles. Never used Pro Select.

I still have a paper filter on my van.. after 14 months I decided to change it cuz the wife was going on a long trip. Took the filter out, shook a few leaves & debris out and it looked almost new. I put it back in and even told her.. it's fine now!
I'll look again in December.. the van gets 14k a year or more. I was pretty impressed.. it's a Wix in there at the moment.

I dont see a big deal to use two cheapo filters every 25k km, paper filters offer the best protection apparently. I dont see the point to buy a 55$ k&n filter, and clean it one a yeah. Doesn't give extra horse or anything special... Paper, change more often. My personal opinion.

Yeah I also noticed some dirt/sand ish stuff in the bottom of the air box, I cleaned it all out. Im far from being in the desert, but yeah, Im parranoid on air filters than anythin else on a car i think, maybe oil filter is second...

As I mentioned in another thread, I had maybe a hundred grains of sand in the air box on the outside portion of the air filter. The inside portion was spotless, and the filters could have gone much, much longer. I'm definitely impressed with Fram in this application. The old filters' seals were in great condition, and still fit perfectly. When I installed the new filters, they fit perfectly, as well. The car takes two, and I think I spent under $10 a piece, somewhere around $8, I believe. I'll have to look at my receipts to be sure.

I made a troubling discovery the other day. My Camry uses bolts to seal the filter box. They had corroded and the threads were worn, causing the bolts to pop loose creating a bad seal. I had a small amount of dirt stuck to the inside of the air intake near the loose bolt. You could have the best filter made but if the seal is not tight, does no good. I ordered new hardware, suggest people check air filter box bolts/clips for wear.

Do some searching on here about filter efficiency as an air filter loads up. By always having a brand new spotless filter in your air box, you are allowing more wear causing dirt into your engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back