>>>> DOT 4 Brake fluid vs Super DOT 4 Brake fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, My 2007 GM product requires "super DOT 4 brake fluid" for the clutch fluid reservoir. What is the difference between Super Dot 4 and DOT 4 brake fluid? Is there any reason I can't just use DOT 4 in the clutch fluid reservoir? There seems to be a big difference in price and availability is the reason I ask.

Super DOT4 has a dry boiling point that exceeds the minimum requirement for DOT5.1, but the wet boiling point does not meet the minimum requirement for 5.1. It is basically racing brake fluid made to be flushed often.

Unless its on a track, DOT4 is fine.

[censored] probably even DOT3 is fine, but DOT4 is cheap and easy to find at most auto parts stores now anyhow.

With out knowing the application I wasn't sure why it would call for Super DOT4, but if it is a Vette or something that might be taken to the track I can understand.

I agree for street driving DOT3 should be ok.

Originally Posted By: Hirev
Hello, My 2007 GM product requires "super DOT 4 brake fluid" for the clutch fluid reservoir. What is the difference between Super Dot 4 and DOT 4 brake fluid? Is there any reason I can't just use DOT 4 in the clutch fluid reservoir? There seems to be a big difference in price and availability is the reason I ask.

GM is quoting their DOT4 product, which they call "Super"
M25540447.gif

There is no non-super GM DOT 4 fluid, AFIAK

the next one down is DOT 3
M22928716.gif

How hot can a clutch slave cylinder get? Hot day, stop & go traffic...?

There are European makers of DOT4+ brake fluid. ATE, Brembo, Motul, maybe others. Volvo's factory spec for brake fluid in their fwd cars is a DOT4+ fluid, and the Volvo labeled fluid is 4+.

Originally Posted By: AVB
With out knowing the application I wasn't sure why it would call for Super DOT4, but if it is a Vette or something that might be taken to the track I can understand.

I agree for street driving DOT3 should be ok.
Yes it is for a Vette. Not a track car, just a daily driver.

European cars, these days, with ESP, require a low-viscosity DOT 4 fluid.

The "Super" or PLus... I think it's more marketing.

The ATE DOT4 fluid, is called "Type 200", which has a higher boiling point (both wet & dry) than Pentosin "Super DOT-4"

Thanks for the replies. Apparently Ford is also selling a Super Dot 4 brake fluid. I found this that list the specifications and manufacture of it for Ford. Looks like the minimum boiling points have been raised on Super DOT 4 compared to Dot 4. It states 260C/500F dry and 180C/356F wet.
Here is the Ford Bulletin on it. LINK

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
European cars, these days, with ESP, require a low-viscosity DOT 4 fluid.

The "Super" or PLus... I think it's more marketing.

The ATE DOT4 fluid, is called "Type 200", which has a higher boiling point (both wet & dry) than Pentosin "Super DOT-4"

Perhaps GM needs to develop a super-duper DOT4. I agree, how hot can a clutch fluid get that it requires this?

Originally Posted By: jtfmdyk
I agree, how hot can a clutch fluid get that it requires this?

In an open-tracked, or hard launched drag race car, MUCH hotter than you think (and they NEED high-temp fluids, changed OFTEN).

For a mildly driven street car, not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back