Choosing an oil for my 2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7 V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased my Tundra new in March 2010. It came with the Toyota Care package for free oil changes for 2 years/24,000 miles (well I guess they weren't really free..had to buy a new truck). These coupons were in 5,000 mile increments which is what Toyota recommends on this motor for non-synthetic 5W-20. The Toyota Care has expired and I will be doing my own oil changes now.

A few months ago I purchased a used 2005 Honda Accord 2.4 for my daily driver (new job requires more travel). I have the car on a diet of Amsoil SS 0W-20 (plan on 15k OCI). I could run this oil in the Tundra as the engine is rated for 0W-20 or 5W-20. Correct me if I'm wrong but no one makes a 'dino' 0W-20. Since the truck won't be used as much the Accord, I think a group IV/V synthetic would be overkill/expensive since I probably won't go over 10k a year and the motor takes 8 quarts!. I know the SS is rated for once a year OCI but don't know if I really comfortable with 1 year OCI's. I like the idea of going 6 months and changing it in the fall and spring. I live in ND and tow a boat in the summer and ice fish in the winter. Changing before and after winter seem more appropriate than once a year. I would like to go with a 0W-20 because of the cold winters. I was looking at the Amsoil 0W-20 OE oil at $4.70 per quart. What other 0W-20's are worth taking a look at that are in this price range?

Thanks!

Stick with the Amsoil. Once a year OCI will be fine and a 380HP 5.7L engine deserves the best. Besides, you will only need to store one type of oil.

If you are going to stick to 0W-20... The OE 0W-20 is going to be tough to beat price wise... $4.70qt for a 0W-20 is a good price...

I have never come across a virgin sample or UOA on this oil... So i really have no idea of how good of a deal it really is...

I have used this OCI for 14yrs with my autos... It has worked out really well...

My Winter Oil Change-->Dec thru May
My Summer Oil Change-->June thru Nov

If you chose not to stick with the 0W-20? There are many oils that will protect your 5.7L without spending $60 to $90 for an oil change...

You will not find a dino 0W-20 or 0W-30... All are so called Full Synthetic...

IMHO-->5W-20 would work fine in ND... But this is your 5.7L you choose what makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside that's what matters...

If you don't drive more then 5K miles within those 6months I feel the Amsoil OE 0W-20 to be a good choice for the price...{You might even think about a UOA on this oil just to see how far you can push it}? I don't know if a 6K mile OCI would be wise with this oil... It might be perfectly fine... Only a UOA will tell you...

Preferred Customer Price is $4.70

You might look around for the Toyota 0W-20 and M1 0W-20 and compare prices... By the time you pay for tax and shipping on the Amsoil it might not be cheaper... Unless you can pick up the Amsoil at the warehouse...

Thanks for the information everyone. If I have time tomorrow I'll stop by the Toyota dealership and see what they want for their 0W-20. I know my local Walmart has M1 0W-20 in 1 gallon jugs which but I haven't checked the price in a long time. I don't have to change oil on the Tundra for a while yet so I have time to decide.

Originally Posted By: gonefishing
Thanks for the information everyone. If I have time tomorrow I'll stop by the Toyota dealership and see what they want for their 0W-20. I know my local Walmart has M1 0W-20 in 1 gallon jugs which but I haven't checked the price in a long time. I don't have to change oil on the Tundra for a while yet so I have time to decide.

I've paid $4.99/qt before for Toyota 0w20. I think Toyotacare pays the dealer $5.41/qt.

Have fun changing oil on it, there's a skid plate that needs to be removed to get at the cartridge style oil filter and I'm sure the dealership used a impact to tighten the bolts, a nice breaker bar will break em free though hopefully without snapping any, you also might need a special filter cup to remove the filter as well, where I use to work the filter cup was bought from the Toyota garage and said Toyota right on it, if your handy with a wrench though im sure you can find a filter cup that will work.. good luck. Oh and stay away from m1 junk in my opinion

If it were my truck, knowing what you said, I would probably still do a 6 month OCI interval. If you can catch NAPA 5w20 synthetic on sale, I'd stock up and use it. It's made by Ashland and seems to perform about like Valvoline SynPower, so changing it out every 5-6k miles would be safe, and would work well with you planned miles. By the time 6months is up, you'd be looking at an oil change with the miles anyway. You're not "wasting" any oil life, and you still get a good look over every 6 months while you're under there.

Boosted: Yeah I'm willing to bet that skid plate is on pretty tight. If I stop at the dealership I'll ask about that filter wrench.

Hounds: Thanks for the link on the Tundra. That's a 2006 model which was the last year of the 1st gen. The 5.7 V8 wasn't out yet and is completely different then the 4.7 V8. I'm still gonna look through it later. I will be changing the Honda's oil soon and sending a sample into Blackstone. I'm just over 10k and 4 months on this oil. We'll see how the report looks and if going longer would be possible. The Honda 2.4 is pretty easy on oil I've been told.

My 2010 Tundra just came off the Toyota Care plan also. I did my first oil change using Mobil 0W-20 and will run it 5K.

The hardest part of changing the oil in these is just the skid plate being a pain but it is not too bad. Just 5ea 12mm bolts and like 3-4ea small screws on the front side for a plastic piece between the bumper lower valance and the skid plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back