What does pinging sound like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I have ever heard it with my cars. I normally use 93 octain gas(highest octain in my area) for my LS1 Camaro. I switched to 88(mid grade) and the engine seemed the same. If it started to ping what would I listen for and would it ping at idle or under high RPM's. Thank you!

P.S. I now use Fule Power with the 93 gas. The engine sounds the same with the 88 before the Fule power.If I can get away with it to save a little $$ I'll start to use the 88 all the time.

Pinging sounds like bee-bees shaking in a can, coming from under the hood. Usually heard under heavy loads, ie, hot weather, A/C blasting, full throttle 3rd gear running up a hill. That'll do it in my '94 Mustang GT.

quote:

Originally posted by timzak:
Pinging sounds like bee-bees shaking in a can, coming from under the hood. Usually heard under heavy loads, ie, hot weather, A/C blasting, full throttle 3rd gear running up a hill.

Yup. It's usually pretty quiet and you have to listen for it. The sound is easily swamped by wind noise or loud exhaust. A small amount of very light pinging is OK and in many cars is considered "normal". When the pinging gets harder it is called "detonation" and can cause serious damage.

Sounds like marbles in the engine.

Short addendum to above, it's only considered "normal" if it occurs infrequently, under unusual (full throttle, heavy load, going up-hill, etc.) conditions.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Chris B.:
P.S. I now use Fule Power with the 93 gas. The engine sounds the same with the 88 before the Fule power.If I can get away with it to save a little $$ I'll start to use the 88 all the time.

Two types of gasoline you should be concerned with: 1. Ones without the proper(advertised) octane 2. ones that don't have adequate cleaning agents for the FI,Valves, combustion chambers.

Lots of times low octane is outright fraud, not per se from the MFG, but the jobber. You see, most pump stations offer three grades; regular, plus, and super; it wouldn't be the first time that Regular was mixed or added in with the super.

But most (not all but most) Plus grades are a mix of say bout a 50/50 rate of Regular and Super, this is truly the best buy IMHO. These scams are not usually the fault of the Station but the JOBBER. Most autos don't need super, but there is one benefit, is at least in the past ( I donno about now - past year or so) is some grades of super do have the higher levels of additives one needs.

The main issue with Gas is that the supplier may chose to skimp ($$pennies) to stay competitive in gas wars (jobbers getting fuel sold). They do this by using cheaper additives. The best or one of them is polyetheramine (spelling??) but it costs about 2x the others (still less than I think a cent per treated gallon)... the result is something like 80-85% gas sold contains only a small dose and the autos suffer.

When people use gas that is not properly treated their injectors clog up with varnish (only about 8% restriction can cause a misfire), but this takes some time to notice and most people think it's just how it is or that their cars are getting "older" and many times this is not the case... just bad gas.

There may be three schools of thought here:
1. To have the injectors cleaned
2. To dump some injector cleaner once and awhile
3. To always treat the fuel
I subscribe to #3.

IMO, to do #1 most people don't put it on a scheduled maintenance program, and wait too long doing potential harm, and can cause some problems removing all the crud. Often times when dirty injectors are noticed, theres dirty valves, etc. wich can cause knocking and most engines that have the crud build-up takes a while to clean, anyway IMO it's better not to wait to this point.
This method causes a lot more WEAR.

IMO #2 also has risks of the upper Cyl's not getting enough lubrication, and it still can allow build up in some areas, so though you are better of than maybe #1 (but still causes extra wear); it's still better doing #3, because only a small % of the fuel is "treated properly" and most is not treated enough.

IMO #3 assures you of a proper cleaning, and if you pick your product right; you will get upper Cyl lube, cleaning, fuel stability, reduced wear & emissions, and even protection from moistue.

IMO: I'd stick with the method you are using:
Buying the Plus and adding the additive, this shall prove good to you in the long run.

Pinging sounds like bee-bees shaking in a can ...

That's pretty good. I've always thought of it as sounding like a metallic "rattling" sound .. like a robo version of a rattlesnake.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

Thanks guys! So I guess you really have to listen hard for it. I'll try the 88 and see if I can hear anything in my LS1.

Chris B.
2 things, if you can hear the pinging if at all regularly get it fixed asap as you can have pinging at subaudible levels. Regulary pinging will destroy your engine. You haven't mentioned how old/ how many miles your engine has done. Over time carbon buildup will mean that pinging will occur at lower octane levels and you may have to increase the octane level of the gas to overcome the pinging. The best way is to get your car dynoed so they can see the acual pinging. My sons high powered car (turbo) had pinging at high revs which is pretty hard to tell when the motor is spinning at 7,000 rpm!

quote:

Originally posted by theguru:
--*-- The best way is to get your car dynoed so they can see the acual pinging. --*--

How do you see it? On a computer screen?
Does it show a LEVEL of PING? How does it tell
if its an okay ping or not?

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:

That's pretty good. I've always thought of it as sounding like a metallic "rattling" sound .. like a robo version of a rattlesnake.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

Good description!

quote:

Originally posted by theguru:
Chris B.
2 things, if you can hear the pinging if at all regularly get it fixed asap as you can have pinging at subaudible levels. Regulary pinging will destroy your engine. You haven't mentioned how old/ how many miles your engine has done. Over time carbon buildup will mean that pinging will occur at lower octane levels and you may have to increase the octane level of the gas to overcome the pinging. The best way is to get your car dynoed so they can see the acual pinging. My sons high powered car (turbo) had pinging at high revs which is pretty hard to tell when the motor is spinning at 7,000 rpm!

The car is a 2002 Camaro with almost 13,000 miles on it. I also have a 2003 Silverado with 9,000 miles. I have not heard anything that sounds like bb's in a can yet in eithor car.

One of the things which will show pinging is the Knock sensor. I do believe other things will show or at least suggest detonation such as fuel mixture , ignition advance etc. Normally the knock sensor will retard the timing if it detects too many hits, but it has a limited range and will thereafter affect your whole performance. Thst why many cars can run low octane fuel but will give better performance if really designed for high octance fuel in the first place. The ingition gets advanced.

My sons car has an after market computer which gives a knock sensor output display. HYe had it dynoed just the other day and he was getting over 80 knocks per minute, this was alleviate by changing the ignition timing. To me it sounds little small bits of metal being rattle around in a can.

Is the "metal in a can" noise nonstop/consistant on more like a rattle, pause, rattle, pause, rattle, pause.....? Thanks!

quote:

Is the "metal in a can" noise nonstop/consistant on more like a rattle, pause, rattle, pause, rattle, pause.....? Thanks!

Can be either, depending on the situation.
Again, sometimes it's very quiet and you must have the windows rolled up, radio off, etc. to hear it.

My 2002 LS1 will ping awfully when used with any octane under 93. When new the dealer filled it with Exxon 87 and the whole drive back it ran for shi*. After that tank was gone and I put back in 93 it must have picked up 20 rwhp.

quote:

Oh BTW, my GS430 pings on Shell 91 but not on Chevron. Go figure...

Maybe it has to do with how far apart the Ron & Mon are. In both cases the average is 91, but that doesn't say much. That is: 81 and 101, and 90 and 92, both have 91 as (R+M)/2.

---------------------------------------------
My car( 1997 T-bitd, 4.6L sohc v8)is pinging now even on 93 octane, AND IT SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE YOU DESCRIBED= RATTLE.....RATTLE....RATTTLE....

my plugs/wires are new; I'm going to try 2 things: 1)clean the MAF,
2)replace fuel filter

quote:

Thanks guys! So I guess you really have to listen hard for it. I'll try the 88 and see if I can hear anything in my LS1.

Man, my LS1 pings like crazy on 93.....I wouldn't want to know what happens with 89......it does get hot here in SA,TX though.
Rick

BTW, they say 01 and 02 car have the worst pinging....I have a 02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back