Using a 30 weight oil to unstick Porsche lifters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
The fact that it happened right after I changed the oil and filter has me especially perplexed.

In that case, chances are it is either the oil or the filter. Oil rarely causes issues. Defective filters happen. If I were you, I would have already replaced the oil filter and gone from there. If you have, never mind.

Ed

IIRC this is a dry sump system you got air in the lifter.
Common with a lot of boxers.
Some Subaru 2.2 with hydraulics had this issue also even though it they a wet sump.

Just listened and it's very intermittent. Very strange.
Usually the lifter ticking is more consistent.

My boxer lifter noise was like clockwork. Ticked when that lobe lifted the valve each time. Not a hit and miss event.

Last edited:
I just spoke with the shop. They replaced the filter with a new one and replaced the PU 5W-40 with some 30 weight multigrade (I don't know if it's 0W or 5W). The owner of the very respected shop says that the noise is only 1/3 as prolific as it was before.

He suggests that I drive the car allowing the thinner oil to do whatever it's doing. Thoughts? I'm inclined to think that it is a goofy lifter if the thinner oil is helping.

I really was hoping that the fix would be clear, but it remains somewhat elusive. I guess I'll drive it and see what happens. Thanks to all for the help.

Originally Posted By: DrivinWest
I just spoke with the shop. They replaced the filter with a new one and replaced the PU 5W-40 with some 30 weight multigrade (I don't know if it's 0W or 5W). The owner of the very respected shop says that the noise is only 1/3 as prolific as it was before.

He suggests that I drive the car allowing the thinner oil to do whatever it's doing. Thoughts? I'm inclined to think that it is a goofy lifter if the thinner oil is helping.

I really was hoping that the fix would be clear, but it remains somewhat elusive. I guess I'll drive it and see what happens. Thanks to all for the help.

I'm inclined to think the lifter is on it's way out no matter what oil you are using. Once they go they go and better off replacing before they start disintegrating and releasing swarf into your precious engine and then it's a snowball effect. Don't ask me how I know! lol

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
There were/are lots of Porsche lifter designs.
I don't know what you have.
In older engines in days past, MMO was commonly used to clean things out [small passages in lifters were often helped].
And it worked.
I do not recommend MMO in the crankcase unless there is a known problem. And here, you do have a problem that may be attenuated with proper MMO use.
It is a far better solution than simply using a slightly thinner oil. BTW, I would not race around with it in the crankcase, either.

This sounds like the answer to the OP's question.
Here you have a real live mechanic who has apparently had some experience with these engines.
So, you might try MMO for a couple of thousand gently driven miles and see what happens.
Best case scenario, the problem is a clogged lifter and it's now fixed, with your having avoided what may turn out to be a very expensive guessing game with your current shop.
Worst case scenario, no harm is done, other than your having to change out a bunch of expensive Euro-spec oil to get rid of the MMO.
Your current shop is already into you for quite a few dollars and has yet to fix the problem with your engine, or even figure out what it actually is.
Before doing anything, I'd hit the Boxster boards and see what you can learn about your problem.
It may be that somebody else has had exactly the same problem, and has paid to have it found and fixed.
Also, a lifter problem related to debris can be intermittent. Been there and seen it.

I'm back with a follow-up:

I picked up the car about an hour ago. The clanging is gone. I brought the car to a second reputable Houston Porsche shop and let them have a listen. They couldn't hear anything amiss at all.

As mentioned, all the first shop did to "fix" it is replace the 8.2 quarts of brand new, Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40 ($$$) with 0W-30 synthetic and drove it. The owner of the shop thinks that something went amiss during my oil change; perhaps dislodging a carbon deposit that the 30 weight was able to address. He admitted it's completely speculative and didn't like the answer, especially for a car with such few miles, but short of tearing the engine apart that was his best guess.

What are the chances that the PU was bad? I had previously used Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40 that I bought at Ferrari of Houston - it worked great. The PU that I used for this oil change was purchased by the case off of Amazon. None of it was used until I did the oil change. I still have 4 quarts of it that I'm rather weary of using.

Originally Posted By: DrivinWest
I'm back with a follow-up:

I picked up the car about an hour ago. The clanging is gone. I brought the car to a second reputable Houston Porsche shop and let them have a listen. They couldn't hear anything amiss at all.

As mentioned, all the first shop did to "fix" it is replace the 8.2 quarts of brand new, Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40 ($$$) with 0W-30 synthetic and drove it. The owner of the shop thinks that something went amiss during my oil change; perhaps dislodging a carbon deposit that the 30 weight was able to address. He admitted it's completely speculative and didn't like the answer, especially for a car with such few miles, but short of tearing the engine apart that was his best guess.

What are the chances that the PU was bad? I had previously used Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40 that I bought at Ferrari of Houston - it worked great. The PU that I used for this oil change was purchased by the case off of Amazon. None of it was used until I did the oil change. I still have 4 quarts of it that I'm rather weary of using.

Great to hear it's all quiet again.
I wouldn't expect the cause to be the PU. Most likely a slightly clogged oil gallery on one of the lifters and the oil change cleared it out. Usually lighter oils make the lifters louder but also clean things out better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back