Edge 5w30 - 5000 mi - 2010 Mazdaspeed 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend with a 2010 Mazdaspeed3 (4 cyl 2.3 turbo, direct injection) comes to my place for oil changes (I get a burger out of it, worth it!) and last time we took a sample to see how the car's doing with around 35000 miles on it. I don't have the exact mileage of the vehicle or the oil but it was about 5k on this fill. This is Castrol Edge "with Syntec", (NOT the Titanium). Pretty sure the car has gotten Syntec or Edge (once it was rebranded) with a Napa Gold (Wix) filter every time we've changed the oil since new.

He does a lot of short trips and drives fairly spiritedly when possible. The car doesn't seem to burn any noticeable oil from what I've heard. Looks pretty good to me.

MS31.png

The air filter hasn't been touched. Not sure if the silicon means nothing or means I should encourage him to check it out. I've seen averages that high or higher on other UOAs anyway...

Overall for a turbo, direct injection performance engine it seems to be doing pretty well so far.

You're right, it does look good, but I couldn't settle with a turbo engine with oil THAT thin in it - I'd move to 40-weight, or at least an A3-rated oil.

Meh, it is beating up the oil but that's nothing unusual. Fuel dilution is quite low, which is good.

I don't think a 40-weight is necessary. Perhaps a more stout 30?

wear wise looks good, and I wouldn't worry to much about the silicon. I would check and make sure any intake clamps are nice and tight.

I would be a little disappointed that it fell out of grade after only 5k miles. Like others have suggested I would try another brand or perhaps a 40

my .02

Last edited:
John Nice wearing eng. Your engine likes the Edge but it is thinning a little to fast. I too agree with another thicker 30 wt. Penn Ultra or M1. Thanks for your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back